The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 31, 2017, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
By the way, that comment is a flagrant technical. If a coach threatens an official working there, he may as well get a head start on calling the assigner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Exactly what I thought when i read it.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You misunderstood - or I wasn't clear. I don't let a school blacklist officials. If an official tells me he/she doesn't want to work a school, I'd honor that.

I don't want the schools to think for a minute they control who they get. I assign for a league and one of the reasons they hire assigners is to eliminate the appearance of home schools dictating who works their games.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
There is an assignor in our state who I really like and is pretty well respected. He said he allows schools to tell him who they don't want to work their home games. He says sure they have a say in who works at there school, however the moment they do that I look at there schedule and put that official on 5-10 of there away games. He doesn't get a whole lot of those requests anymore.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
There is an assignor in our state who I really like and is pretty well respected. He said he allows schools to tell him who they don't want to work their home games. He says sure they have a say in who works at there school, however the moment they do that I look at there schedule and put that official on 5-10 of there away games. He doesn't get a whole lot of those requests anymore.
I've had an AD tell me that a certain official won't be allowed in his school again.

I haven't had a scheduling cycle since, but this is a great idea. However, I'm not fond of putting an official into a meat grinder when I can avoid it....so I'm a bit conflicted.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 02:14pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I've had an AD tell me that a certain official won't be allowed in his school again.
So if you assigned that official to work at his school anyway, would they go so far as to physically bar him from being there? How would that work out?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I haven't had a scheduling cycle since, but this is a great idea. However, I'm not fond of putting an official into a meat grinder when I can avoid it....so I'm a bit conflicted.
Out of curiosity, what was your response to the AD? What did the official do or reportedly do to trigger that ultimatum?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the way, that comment is a flagrant technical. If a coach threatens an official working there, he may as well get a head start on calling the assigner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamnegger View Post
Exactly what I thought when i read it.
Really? Is this any different from when coaches say “you will never work here again”?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 02:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Really? Is this any different from when coaches say “you will never work here again”?
To me it's the equivalent.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Well just put him/her in a couple of games and let it ride.

At least assignors only control their conference. I could have a coach not want me during a non-conference, tournament or playoff game and that coach has no control over such a thing.

I had an ejection this summer from a coach that does not like me and he told me, "I will make sure you never work any of my games." Well, early in the season I worked one of his best rivals in a game and have him like two more times. And we have not gotten to the playoffs yet. Usually getting playoff games shut them up around here because they are so paranoid that they act like angels when they realize how little power they have over the process.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 03:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Yup, and it should be an ejection. Problem is, a lot of assigners don't back the officials they way they should when this crap happens.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Agreed. I can’t imagine giving a flagrant T for either comment. Matter of fact, I can’t imagine any words/statements that would get a flagrant T from me at the varsity level (maybe slurs if said loud enough, but thankfully that’s never happened to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
At least assignors only control their conference. I could have a coach not want me during a non-conference, tournament or playoff game and that coach has no control over such a thing.
In South Carolina, if you’re scratched by a school, you don’t work any games for it: region, non-region, home, away, postseason...doesn’t matter.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 04:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

In South Carolina, if you’re scratched by a school, you don’t work any games for it: region, non-region, home, away, postseason...doesn’t matter.
Well, that does not work here because assigning for each type of game might be assigned by a completely different person. Again, the only one they have the power to do that with is maybe their conference assignor. And we have similar conference assignors to D1, where one person that assigns has no association with another conference. They will not have an assignor from another conference give a damn about their so-called request for a scratch. And the IHSA does not take scratches and they assign all playoff games. Heck, it has been known that an official had a problem with a school/coach only to have them in the early rounds of the playoffs (all ejections are filed to the IHSA and even other incidents in some cases). They do not give coaches that kind of power in general. The IHSA wants us to give more Ts for things that would cause problems with coaches.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 04:31pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Agreed. I can’t imagine giving a flagrant T for either comment. Matter of fact, I can’t imagine any words/statements that would get a flagrant T from me at the varsity level (maybe slurs if said loud enough, but thankfully that’s never happened to me).

I would hope that the school would be required to provide a pretty strong, legitimate reason to justify a scratch.

Otherwise it seems like it would be pretty easy to abuse against officials who take care of business as JRut and others have said.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 04:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I would laugh it off and/or make some sort of comment in response at the HS level, b/c I definitely don't have to worry about my schedule.

At the college level I would hit them with a Class-A.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 04:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Matter of fact, I can’t imagine any words/statements that would get a flagrant T from me at the varsity level (maybe slurs if said loud enough, but thankfully that’s never happened to me).

Really???

How about the coach that yells "You are a f@cking cheater!!" No flagrant T for that?

Or how about "You mother-f@cker"...no flagrant T for that?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 05:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Really???

How about the coach that yells "You are a f@cking cheater!!" No flagrant T for that?

Or how about "You mother-f@cker"...no flagrant T for that?
Just calling you a cheater alone? I do not know that would get a Flagrant by itself either. I was called something else and did give a Flagrant T earlier, but it was not being called a cheater. Heck they are basically calling you that when they talk about foul counts. Need stronger language for that alone. I would rather give two Ts than one.

Peace