The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 04:36pm
Administrator

I officiated boys'/girls H.S. in Miami, Florida, from 1973 to 1977, and the OP that started this thread reminded me of three boys' JV games that I had during the 1973-74 season, all of them at Miami Beach H.S. The M.B.H.S. JV-HC was involved in all three TFs, and I do not remember who won those three games.

The first game: The JV-HC started chipping at my partner and I from the moment the ball left my hands for the opening JB. It was non-stop until I finally WHACKED him about 2/3's of the way through the 3rd QT. After that we did not hear a peep from him the rest of the game.

The second game: Same as the first game but I decided that I had heard enough and WHACKED him mid way through the 2nd QT. Quiet as a church mouse after that.

The third game: Same as the first and second games, but decided to WHACK him about 90 seconds into the 1st QT. Quiet as a church mouse after that.

I had come to the conclusion that he had a persecution complex and needed the TFs for validation. I had him a couple of more times of the next three years but I guess he knew enough to not do any whining in my games.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keeping A List, Checking It Twice ...

For many years now, the Connecticut interscholastic sports governing body has required referees (not umpires) to file paperwork for any ejection of a coach (one flagrant, two directs, three indirects), which leads to a one game suspension.

This year, my local board (not sure about the other little corners in Connecticut) has instituted a new policy. Any unsporting technical foul given to any coach (head, assistant, varsity, junior varsity, freshman, middle school) will be reported (with minimum paperwork) to our assignment commissioner. If he sees a pattern of poor behavior in a particular coach, he will report such behavior to the school's athletic director and/or principal.

It turns out that athletic directors and principals want to be informed of such poor behavior, especially for coaches in road games, when the athletic director and/or principal may not be physically present to observe such behavior. Athletic directors and principals may use such information for promotions/demotions, and contract renewals. Even coaches who are teachers (and belong to a teacher's union) are all on one year renewable contracts and can be "non-renewed" for cause.

This new policy is mainly aimed at inexperienced subvarsity coaches who tend to abuse inexperienced subvarsity officials, staying under the radar by getting their "licks" in while avoiding game ejections.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 30, 2017 at 07:57pm.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Or the opposite, what effect does "T"ing a coach have on the official?

I know coaches who are convinced after they get whacked they start getting more calls going their way.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

It must be true—every coach knows that!

There was a study done (I think it was the Israeli Airforce, but not sure) about the effects of screaming at pilots after they had a poor exercise. The trainers pointed to the fact that the pilot yelled at after a poor performance usually did better his next effort—proof that the abuse was effective. Alas, statistical analysis of the performances showed that the supposed performance could be explained by simply regression to the mean—anyone is more likely to have an average performance than a poor performance; the poor performance set a low bar for the next exercise. Add confirmation bias to the mix, and it easy to understand why they trainers believed the yelling was effective.

I think there is something similar with the coaches. Often coaches get unglued when a series of calls go against them. Regression to the mean suggests that will end. When it does, it “confirms” that the yelling worked—even when totally unrelated.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 07:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
There are plenty of assigners, camp clinicians, officials, coaches, administrators, etc. who assume you are in the wrong someway, somehow whenever you issue a T, e.g. it must have been the result of bad game management. We are the bad guys for taking care of business. No, this is not the case most of the time, but it does happen. And that is one of the reasons officials may be reluctant to whack.

Instead of asking "what could we have done differently?" or "did it fit?" every time a T is issued, maybe just admit that the coach's reaction was disproportionate with the actual or perceived slight.
I am an assigner (23 boys and 22 girls varsity programs) and a regular clinician as well as an official.

(1) I wish officials (in general) called more technical fouls, not fewer. This year I'd like to see a warning in the book for each technical that fits the "persistent" category of the three Ps, though.

(2) When an official complains about a coach's behavior in one of my sportsmanship surveys or through an email, I ask when the T was assessed. If you don't whack him, then you have nothing to bitch about.

(3) When I get a report from an official, I thank him/her for the report. When I get a complaint from a coach that he/she got whacked, I ask for video. I want to see why a coach "didn't deserve it."

In 4 years of assigning HS varsity officials -- over 1000 games -- there is only 1 technical so far that I thought was unwarranted, and it was a second direct technical on a coach where I wasn't surprised it was who it was.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
i am an assigner (23 boys and 22 girls varsity programs) and a regular clinician as well as an official.

(1) i wish officials (in general) called more technical fouls, not fewer. This year i'd like to see a warning in the book for each technical that fits the "persistent" category of the three ps, though.

(2) when an official complains about a coach's behavior in one of my sportsmanship surveys or through an email, i ask when the t was assessed. If you don't whack him, then you have nothing to bitch about.

(3) when i get a report from an official, i thank him/her for the report. When i get a complaint from a coach that he/she got whacked, i ask for video. I want to see why a coach "didn't deserve it."

in 4 years of assigning hs varsity officials -- over 1000 games -- there is only 1 technical so far that i thought was unwarranted, and it was a second direct technical on a coach where i wasn't surprised it was who it was.
thank you!
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sipping My Powerade Zero ...

On the long drive home, on an icy road, on a cold wintry night, I've never regretted charging a technical foul to a coach. Never.

I have regretted passing on such a call. Not a lot, but a few. It was always the same thing, saying to myself, "But I thought that he would eventually calm down".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I am an assigner (23 boys and 22 girls varsity programs) and a regular clinician as well as an official.

(1) I wish officials (in general) called more technical fouls, not fewer. This year I'd like to see a warning in the book for each technical that fits the "persistent" category of the three Ps, though.

(2) When an official complains about a coach's behavior in one of my sportsmanship surveys or through an email, I ask when the T was assessed. If you don't whack him, then you have nothing to bitch about.

(3) When I get a report from an official, I thank him/her for the report. When I get a complaint from a coach that he/she got whacked, I ask for video. I want to see why a coach "didn't deserve it."

In 4 years of assigning HS varsity officials -- over 1000 games -- there is only 1 technical so far that I thought was unwarranted, and it was a second direct technical on a coach where I wasn't surprised it was who it was.
And you’re one of the many good assigners when it comes to this aspect of the position. I would say that most assigners are like you on this, but sadly there are some that are not.

And I’m 100% with you on officials that bitch about a coach’s behavior yet did nothing about it during the game. Of course, this isn’t helped by states that rely on coaches’ input for postseason assignments.

Sometimes I think people use “game management” as a cop-out for “not taking care of business.” I also think that a lot of officials that boast about never giving Ts aren’t as great of “game managers” as they purport–they just let coaches get away with more than they should.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I sat through an association meeting where an instructor spent a lot of time talking about how Ts are bad and how it will hurt ratings.

I'm not in the leadership so I bit my tongue, but it was horrible advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
I know coaches who are convinced after they get whacked they start getting more calls going their way.
I’ve heard someone say that your first foul call after a coach T should be against his team so the other coach doesn’t think he misbehaved his way into getting calls.

I’ve also heard it said that your first foul call after a coach T should be against his opponent so that he doesn’t think he’s getting screwed.

And then there’s the philosophy I use: just call what I see.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I sat through an association meeting where an instructor spent a lot of time talking about how Ts are bad and how it will hurt ratings.

I'm not in the leadership so I bit my tongue, but it was horrible advice.

At the high school and college levels there are too many officials that think like that instructor. You’d never hear that lunacy from NBA officials.

Ironically, the officials like this instructor are often the ones who talk about Ts being “just another foul,” despite treating it very differently from normal fouls.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 08:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
At the high school and college levels there are too many officials that think like that instructor. You’d never hear that lunacy from NBA officials.

Ironically, the officials like this instructor are often the ones who talk about Ts being “just another foul,” despite treating it very differently from normal fouls.

Exactly.

I think we should whack more coaches.

I also think that it's not anywhere close to being like another foul.

I wish more officials, instructors, and clinicians would be real instead of using all this "speak."

Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For many years now, the Connecticut interscholastic sports governing body has required referees (not umpires) to file paperwork for any ejection of a coach (one flagrant, two directs, three indirects), which leads to a one game suspension.

This year, my local board (not sure about the other little corners in Connecticut) has instituted a new policy. Any unsporting technical foul given to any coach (head, assistant, varsity, junior varsity, freshman, middle school) will be reported (with minimum paperwork) to our assignment commissioner. If he sees a pattern of poor behavior in a particular coach, he will report such behavior to the school's athletic director and/or principal.

It turns out that athletic directors and principals want to be informed of such poor behavior, especially for coaches in road games, when the athletic director and/or principal may not be physically present to observe such behavior. Athletic directors and principals may use such information for promotions/demotions, and contract renewals. Even coaches who are teachers (and belong to a teacher's union) are all on one year renewable contracts and can be "non-renewed" for cause.

This new policy is mainly aimed at inexperienced subvarsity coaches who tend to abuse inexperienced subvarsity officials, staying under the radar by getting their "licks" in while avoiding game ejections.
Locally we’ve moved to a similar rule. Tracking all techs through conferences and suspensions being tied excessive numbers. I know the intent of the rule is to protect officials but the letter of rule and reality make it nonsensical. T can be for i sporting behaviour, but also delay of game, uniform or book errors. All techs recorded for purpose of rule silly. Also assumes all Ts even for unsportin* are equal. I work in zones where it is expected coaches jump up and down and complain and unless they say the magic words you give them rope, I also work with partners and in zones who t guys up for moving outside the coaching box once or coaching loudly while the other team shoots free throws.

As others have said we should be calling more ts but until a T is a T. Tracking and uniformly recording them makes little sense.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Too many officials at NFHS level are worried that a T is two shots and the ball.. which could result in a 4 or 5 point play and a big swing in momentum..we shouldn’t worry about this but too many do...
Had an undefeated ranked team last night. Player drives gets fouled, easy call since the defender moved towards an airborne shooter with significant contact, ball was definitely affected and did not go in, call the foul, offender yells at me and throws their arms around. Technical foul.

Player made both shooting fouls with the lanes cleared, made both technical foul free throws, their team got the ball at half court. That team ended up losing by three.

Slept like a baby. I have no problem if a player or coach crosses the line and violates a rule in the rulebook. A technical foul is just another foul and that’s why it’s in rule 10. Take care of your business and help the next crew.
Old Sat Dec 30, 2017, 11:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Let's stop pretending it's anothet foul. No other foul is like a technical foul.