The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Technical foul on Coach....Partner says you just cost them the game.

As a Referee in Texas, I don't need to stress the "power" coaches have as far as "Scratch List", Etc. I was working a Tournament with two other decent officials. We had a good game, going back and forth. We were in the double bonus both sides. With approximately 2 minutes in the game, Team B was down by 1 pt. Team A had possession and brought the ball in at the base line of Team B to go to their front court. With Team B Pressing, I was the Trail Official and had the block call right in front of Team B's Bench. A No Brainer, easy call. Coach from Team B didn't like the call. As I went to report the Foul, Team B coach yells loud enough for me to hear to the other coach, "He must be your brother" (Referring to me) After reporting the foul, I blew my whistle and administered a Technical foul to Coach from Team B for questioning my Integrity. One of my partners came up to me afterwards and said, "You just cost them the game" I told him, I didn't tell the coach to say what he did, I just dealt with it. I wanted to know some of you senior officials point of view on this. Thanks for your input.....freddie_g2001
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not sure how you cost the coach the game. The coach should know when not to make such silly comments.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 10:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie_g2001 View Post
As a Referee in Texas, I don't need to stress the "power" coaches have as far as "Scratch List", Etc. I was working a Tournament with two other decent officials. We had a good game, going back and forth. We were in the double bonus both sides. With approximately 2 minutes in the game, Team B was down by 1 pt. Team A had possession and brought the ball in at the base line of Team B to go to their front court. With Team B Pressing, I was the Trail Official and had the block call right in front of Team B's Bench. A No Brainer, easy call. Coach from Team B didn't like the call. As I went to report the Foul, Team B coach yells loud enough for me to hear to the other coach, "He must be your brother" (Referring to me) After reporting the foul, I blew my whistle and administered a Technical foul to Coach from Team B for questioning my Integrity. One of my partners came up to me afterwards and said, "You just cost them the game" I told him, I didn't tell the coach to say what he did, I just dealt with it. I wanted to know some of you senior officials point of view on this. Thanks for your input.....freddie_g2001

freddie_g2001:

Sounds like your partner is as big a schmuck as the HC you whacked.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Great T -- in fact if you didnt call this T and I was your partner and found out about this I would lose a lot of respect in you as an official.

Dont take what your partner said seriously, he just doesnt have the stones to do his job effectively and impartially.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Might be one of the best Ts we get to read about all year. Good call, and good response to your partner.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Shame you couldn't whack your partner, too. He deserved it. What a STUPID statement. Feel free to quote me!
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 11:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
Shame you couldn't whack your partner, too. He deserved it. What a STUPID statement. Feel free to quote me!
Billy Mac will be around in the morning to give you your due.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:03am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Any coach deserves a T for that comment. Good T. Whack!

You didn't cost nobody nothing.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

You should have told your partner, "He must be your brother." :P

Scratch the partner.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Freddie....

Automatic !! A well deserved T.

I'm glad you had the courage to whack him.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev View Post
What refnrev said.

There I quoted you.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Great Whack...some guys (you partner) just don't get it!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

bravo

Quote:
"You just cost them the game" freddie_g2001[/SIZE][/FONT]
Hope you can get a new partner!

as bugs bunny would say " what a moroon!"
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Being in Houston, I don't worry much about "scratch lists." There are so many schools, that even if a coach doesn't scratch you, you probably wouldn't see that school again for 2 or 3 years...by that time usually another coach is there.

You took care of business properly.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:29pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I would get a new partner. This guy had to be a moron to say that. If I had a partner say that to me, I'd clam up and not listen to him postgame in the locker room, just change and get the hell outta Dodge.