The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Baylor Head Coach Scott Drew's Technical Foul-NIT Champ.

Did anyone see the technical foul that Ed Corbett gave Scott Drew for giving his jacket to someone behind the bench (a slight toss of a folded jacket)...he didn't throw it in anger over a call...very iffy technical foul IMO. What do you think?
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 07:43am
Courageous When Prudent

I saw the replay. In and of itself it seemed innocent. But I have no idea what else transpired between Drew and the officials up to that point.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

On the previous foul (1 or 2 minutes before), the announcers said they were glad that they did not T up Drew for showing his displeasure. I assume that Corbett was influenced by the previous situation and felt that Drew was showing them up.

I also found this from a website:
"As the momentum began to turn, Drew got the ire of one of the officials after staring him down following a foul. When the young coach threw his jacket behind his team’s bench, he earned a quick technical foul that only gave Penn State some more juice.

“I shouldn’t have done that, but I had an itch in my coat and I threw it,” Drew said, smiling afterward. “I apologized to the guys because I shouldn’t have done that
.”

Last edited by Jay R; Fri Apr 03, 2009 at 08:26am.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 09:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks like the coach knew what he was doing.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

I didn't really see a "throw" of the jacket....by itself it is NO WAY worthy of a technical but tied in to previous actions the official had had enough I suppose...
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 11:16am
Ref Ump Welsch

Bob Erickson, the former coach at Doane College (Nebraska-NAIA), did this once and got T'd up. It was captured on video, and the official who T'd him up was never seen with the crew the rest of the season.

At the time, Erickson was grumbling about the boys playing lousy, but the official misinterpreted Erickson's comments as being directed towards him, and when the coat got tossed to an assistant, we heard a tweet. After the official reported the T, one of the others went over to Erickson, who now was so puzzled at what was happening that he was about to go ballastic and this other official went over to lend an empathetic ear and hope to avoid a blow-up. The blow-up didn't happen, but it was obvious Erickson was voicing his displeasure to the empathetic official, who just nodded his head and listened.

At halftime, I had the job of getting the officials their drinks and snacks, and when I walked in, I could hear them discussing the T with vigor, with the empathetic official telling the calling official he just burned himself with the "dean" of college coaches in Nebraska at the time, and may have committed career suicide. Wow.

Last edited by Ref Ump Welsch; Fri Apr 03, 2009 at 12:58pm.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Confidentiality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
At halftime, I had the job of getting the officials their drinks and snacks, and when I walked in, I could hear them discussing the T with vigor, with the empathetic official telling the calling official he just burned himself with the "dean" of college coaches in Nebraska at the time, and may have committed career suicide. Wow.
I rarely post (but daily appreciate) on the exchanges here, but I had to inject a word of caution on this post. The official's locker room is off-limits for a reason, and the exchanges there are essential for our growth as officials. Anyone granted access to that area for an official reason should respect that and keep anything they hear to themselves. An official should know better. It does not do our profession any good to have those kinds of stories shared in a public forum.

JMHO,

DWD
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

I think that his story is from a long time ago.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2009, 05:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

19th Century ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I think that his story is from a long time ago.
One of the officials was Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. The other was James Naismith.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 05, 2009, 02:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Erickson has been retired for over 10 years now...I don't think any of the officials that worked that game are even still working, because I know at least 1 of them has retired since, and the other 2 I haven't seen around lately. This story is from almost 20 years ago, so it's very old.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 08:40am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One of the officials was Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. The other was James Naismith.

I was the U2, Padgett was the U1, and Billy, you can tell everybody that you were the alternate at the table, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Mon Apr 06, 2009 at 01:18pm. Reason: Corrected grammar.