The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerUmp View Post
I would hope that the school would be required to provide a pretty strong, legitimate reason to justify a scratch.

Otherwise it seems like it would be pretty easy to abuse against officials who take care of business as JRut and others have said.
Nope. But schools only get to scratch a certain number of officials statewide (not sure what the number is). All varsity games (save certain holiday tournaments) are assigned on the same Arbiter account, so it's pretty simple to just go in and add/remove scratches.

I think it's stupid, but SC is not the only state that gives schools this type of control over who doesn't get to work their games. Heck, I think in Texas both coaches have to approve the crews assigned to each game (or something like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Really???

How about the coach that yells "You are a f@cking cheater!!" No flagrant T for that?

Or how about "You mother-f@cker"...no flagrant T for that?
I'd rather give two Ts than one to eject/DQ someone. It makes it more obvious that the individual hung himself. Chances are, if the coach is calling you that, he's going to get his second T shortly after his first because he's not going to calm down. And if my partners decide not to do their job, I will happily issue T #2 even if I also gave #1. I'm not afraid of doing this like some officials are.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 06:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Nope. But schools only get to scratch a certain number of officials statewide (not sure what the number is). All varsity games (save certain holiday tournaments) are assigned on the same Arbiter account, so it's pretty simple to just go in and add/remove scratches.

I think it's stupid, but SC is not the only state that gives schools this type of control over who doesn't get to work their games. Heck, I think in Texas both coaches have to approve the crews assigned to each game (or something like that).
I do not think anyone is saying that other states do not do this, but that does not mean it is the best system either. I just think that gives coaches too much power if you have a say over even a game in another part of the state.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think anyone is saying that other states do not do this, but that does not mean it is the best system either. I just think that gives coaches too much power if you have a say over even a game in another part of the state.

Peace
Believe me, I know it’s not the best system, which is why I prefaced my comment by saying “I think it’s stupid.”
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
In southern california if a team wants you removed from a game you are assigned they still have to pay your fee + you were at the top of the list for any assignment that day.

I was scratched only once and it was easy money in my opinion. I did my best to get scratched more often but I think budget cuts made it almost impossible for schools to throw that kind of money around.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 08:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
In southern california if a team wants you removed from a game you are assigned they still have to pay your fee + you were at the top of the list for any assignment that day.

I was scratched only once and it was easy money in my opinion. I did my best to get scratched more often but I think budget cuts made it almost impossible for schools to throw that kind of money around.
They have to do the same here as well if you are contracted to do the game. But scratches in my experience are done before assignments are made. So you would not be assigned to that school anyway. Really not that big of a deal here and most of the time you really do not know why you do not go back.

I have said this before, chances are I will be around longer than the coach. So I do not worry about someone I would not have seen once every few years anyway and many times that coach is not there if I have that school again. A veteran who I loved and respected once said (RIP Eddie), "If you are doing your job right, you will get scratched by someone." And another assignor I know says, "Think of how many schools you likely passed to get to that school that does not want you." Gotta keep this in perspective IMO.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They have to do the same here as well if you are contracted to do the game. But scratches in my experience are done before assignments are made. So you would not be assigned to that school anyway. Really not that big of a deal here and most of the time you really do not know why you do not go back.
Peace
What had happened was I had said school in a game that didn't end the way they wanted. I ended up reporting their AD and principal to our association for their behavior. I just so happened to have them again 3 days later. Before I could request removal they beat me to the punch the next morning. If I had them again with a larger gap I would not have even thought about requesting removal, but 3 days was too soon for even me to want to see any of their faces.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 08:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Just calling you a cheater alone? I do not know that would get a Flagrant by itself either. I was called something else and did give a Flagrant T earlier, but it was not being called a cheater. Heck they are basically calling you that when they talk about foul counts. Need stronger language for that alone. I would rather give two Ts than one.

Peace
Those are both personal and profane and would get him ejected in any baseball game I've worked over the last 25+ years at any level.

Why does he get more leeway in hoops? That coach would be gone.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 10:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Those are both personal and profane and would get him ejected in any baseball game I've worked over the last 25+ years at any level.

Why does he get more leeway in hoops? That coach would be gone.
Well in baseball, guys get ejected for looking at umpires wrong. When I worked baseball, guys would love to brag about how many guys they got rid of during games as if it was a badge of honor. In football, a coach can have a meltdown and nothing ever happens to them as it comes to being penalized (e.g Mark Richt). When is the last time you saw a football coach get ejected from anything but a high school game? Basketball seems to be somewhere in the middle of those two sports. Now if you are working a baseball game, that might be OK because of the culture of that sport, but it is said often that umpires are either confrontational or too sensitive.

In basketball, if something is not obvious to everyone, people (meaning fellow officials or coaches and media) are often scrutinizing us for what coaches get ejected for. How many times has a coach said something inappropriate, but no one heard a single thing but you as an official and it turns into he said, he said situation? Well, I cannot speak for you, but for me, that has happened often. So I am not ejecting a coach just because they used foul language. As a matter of fact, if I ejected every coach that used foul language, at least in these parts I would have ejections every other game and probably would not get hired anymore. I tend to use other skills to get accomplished what I want or to get the behavior to stop, especially when the behavior is not very well identified by an observer. I would rather eject someone for something everyone sees or hears so that there is no question they did that act.
But I have been saying this for a long time, if they roll the dice, they just might crap out. So you are totally in the right if you choose to do such a thing, but I would rather make it so the other questions cannot be easily raised about me. Because at the end of the day, you eject a coach it becomes about you to those that claim they did nothing wrong.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Tue Jan 02, 2018 at 10:30pm.