The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
If it is February, I assume (normally correctly) that my peers were not handling business in November. That being said, I always enforce fashion police rules, more strictly in the early season.

However, if a team has been wearing gold uniforms at home the entire season, I am not going to be the first to give a direct T to the head coach. Most likely the team has an exemption from the state anyway (there is one girls team in my area like this).

There is a team from a small village in Alaska that wears a fluorescent yellow color jersey for their home uniforms. I’m not sure how the regular season went last year as far as administering technical fouls to start the game, but at the state tournament, officials were instructed to enforce it by the book. 3 of their 4 games began with the other team receiving 2 shots and the ball. Their season ended with them being crowned State Champions - wearing their illegal uniforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Apply to the ASAA for a waiver, and then there would be no issue about technical fouls, if the waiver is approved. If the fluorescent yellow is the only uniforms that the team has, it's reasonable for them to play in those.

I had a private school freshman girls game where the visitors came in gray uniforms (the home team wore white), and I asked the coach if they would change to blue, to avoid confusion. The home coach agreed, and we played grey vs blue.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Apply to the ASAA for a waiver, and then there would be no issue about technical fouls, if the waiver is approved. If the fluorescent yellow is the only uniforms that the team has, it's reasonable for them to play in those.
What makes you think the school didn't ask for one?

All this nonsense would end if FED would adopt the NCAA rule. But I'm sure someone will come up with a reason why the FED rule should stay.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

As of this fall, in FED soccer, visitors wear white jerseys and home team wear "dark"--defined as any color that contrasts with white. So fluorescent yellow or gold would likely be good.

By the way, the rationale for the switch is to allow home teams to wear their school colors or colors (eg, pink) for "special events." Same reasoning should apply to basketball, seems to me.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
As of this fall, in FED soccer, visitors wear white jerseys and home team wear "dark"--defined as any color that contrasts with white. So fluorescent yellow or gold would likely be good.

By the way, the rationale for the switch is to allow home teams to wear their school colors or colors (eg, pink) for "special events." Same reasoning should apply to basketball, seems to me.
The NCAA (basketball) rule requiring the home team to wear "light" and the visiting team to wear "dark" is better. Why should one of the colors have to be white?

And this rule can be altered if the schools agree, which current FED rules don't allow.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NCAA (basketball) rule requiring the home team to wear "light" and the visiting team to wear "dark" is better. Why should one of the colors have to be white?

And this rule can be altered if the schools agree, which current FED rules don't allow.
Because one team wears sky blue (or various shades of grey) as the "light" color and the other as the "dark" color. It's just as problematic
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not true for an illegal uniform. A coach can "buy" his player with an illegal uniform into the game, the "expense" being a technical foul. No penalty if the team member with an illegal uniform doesn't participate, and stays on the bench the entire game.

Thanks for correcting me. I hate it when incorrect rule information is posted and I’m embarrassed to be part of the problem this time. Again, thanks for correcting me on the uniform issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

FED was once light and dark. You had a lot of teams that had light and dark jerseys that were more or less the same. I once had a game with two teams in grey (one just a little lighter than the other). That made for some interesting situations. In the midst of some plays, it was much harder to tell which was which. White, on the other hand, is pretty easy to tell from almost all other colors (except perhaps really light grey).

With light and dark being relative, for some teams, their dark jerseys were the same as someone else's light jerseys.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 02:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Well "gold" used to be a common color you would see for the "light" jersey and the visiting team would wear the same gold or similar yellow and you would have to look for markers to figure out who was on each team. It was a disaster. The same would go for "grey" colors too. This was really the problem in tournaments or some kind of featured shootout.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 04:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fun With Illegal Numbers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post
Thanks for correcting me. I hate it when incorrect rule information is posted and I’m embarrassed to be part of the problem this time. Again, thanks for correcting me on the uniform issue.
I know it because I've had two odd situations in Catholic middle school games where coaches preferred to not accept the technical foul because they wanted to stand and coach.

In one situation, the coach, in her own gym, pulled apart the supply closet to find a uniform with a legal number for her player, who had just recently joined the team. It took several minutes but the player eventually played with a legal number, wrong size jersey, but a legal number.

In an even odder situation, while on the road, a coach didn't want to sit, he wanted to stand and coach. His suggestion, to have the player with the illegal number sit during the first half, switch jerseys with another player during halftime, report the change to the referee, the opposing coach, and to the scorekeeper, and let the other player, now with the illegal number, sit the second half. Even odder, the two players involved were identical twin sisters.

And, no, I wasn't being a hard ass, both of these happened at the beginning of a season where the assigner (also a league officer) insisted that uniform numbers be legal and not be taped over to avoid penalties.

(Any excuse to get to my favorite basketball player's photo on the Forum.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Aug 22, 2018 at 02:38pm.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2018, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post
In my association, we actually make an effort to address it EARLY in the season. We have found that by doing so, we don’t seem to have to deal with it later in the year, except for with visiting teams to our area.
Exactly. I will warn/educate players/coaches in pre-season scrimmages and maybe for the first couple of regular season games. But if I see something late in the season, no chance.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2018, 06:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fashion Issues ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I will warn/educate players/coaches in pre-season scrimmages ...
In scrimmages, I will warn/educate, but will not enforce. Working such scrimmages reminds me of the basis for some fashion rules. When there is a cluster of players battling for a rebound, it helps if they're all wearing the proper color undershirts. It makes it just a little bit easier to identify players if their undershirt matches their jersey, not a lot easier, just a little easier, nevertheless, easier.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 23, 2018 at 06:44pm.