The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

If it were a technical foul for uniform violations, uniform violations would go away.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2017, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
If it were a technical foul for uniform violations, uniform violations would go away.
Probably not. You'd have to actually get people to call them. It is hard enough to get people to deal with them now.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron rust View Post
probably not. You'd have to actually get people to call them. It is hard enough to get people to deal with them now.
+1
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
You think that's bad, I had a home team show up in gray jerseys (in holiday tournament game). How long has white been required now?
I’ve had a couple teams whose road color is light gray. On one occasion (in a subvarsity game) the home team asked if they could change to their black jerseys at halftime because the coach said it was too confusing (we allowed it).

There’s one girls team in my neck of the woods whose home jerseys are yellow for some reason, and they have a waiver from the state office in their scorebook. As long as the two colors are contrasting, whether the home team is wearing white or not, I’m not giving a T to the head coach.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2017, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Probably not. You'd have to actually get people to call them. It is hard enough to get people to deal with them now.
Exhibit A:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
whether the home team is wearing white or not, I’m not giving a T to the head coach.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2018, 01:03am
Ok is the new good

[QUOTE=BillyMac;1013653]Not so here in my little corner of Connecticut. Many officials either don't understand the rule, don't bother to look, or if they do look, don't bother to enforce it.

Especially true in girls games where many officials don't realize that underwrap wrapped around the head is a headband (thus falling under headband color restrictions), probably confusing them with hair control devices, or that "Skylar Diggins" tails are illegal.

Only a single headband may be worn on the head, and headbands are not allowed to have extensions or tails. There is a wider array of legal color options for other equipment items such as headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts, and tights. All of these equipment items must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey.

On the issue of the "Skylar Diggins" headband. Is the headband itself illegal or just the tails? For enforcement, do you have players remove the whole thing or just ask them to tuck in the tails and play on?
Old Sun Aug 12, 2018, 09:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

When In Rome ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
... the "Skylar Diggins" headband ... For enforcement, do you have players remove the whole thing or just ask them to tuck in the tails and play on?

Skylar Diggins (Notre Dame 2009-2013, WNBA 2013-Present), as an All-American point guard for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish popularized knotted headbands with long loose ends. In 2015, the NFHS ruled that headbands must be without extensions.

I would prefer to tell them they can't play with the "Skylar Diggins" headband, but that doesn't appear to be the standard operating procedure here in my little corner of Connecticut, so I would stick out like a sore thumb (Overly Officious Official) if I did, so I just reluctantly tell them to tuck in the tails.

The usual caveat, check your local listings.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 12, 2018 at 10:37am.
Old Mon Aug 13, 2018, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Zombie thread alert
Old Fri Aug 17, 2018, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I refereed Danville several times last year and only 1 time did we have to tell that same player to take off his undershirt. He obliged and didnt have any issues.

I think some players know who they can and cant get away with things and always push the limits.
Old Fri Aug 17, 2018, 10:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaRef View Post
I refereed Danville several times last year and only 1 time did we have to tell that same player to take off his undershirt. He obliged and didnt have any issues.

I think some players know who they can and cant get away with things and always push the limits.
I have had Danville in the playoffs a couple years back and this was not an issue and I do not recall this player having this issue. If it was, it was certainly corrected as my partners were State Final Officials as well.

I think I was at this event but did not work this particular game. I simply do not remember for sure, but it appears this is Orr High School in Chicago (who that documentary was about on Fox) and done by officials that might not be as stringent about these things in general. If that is the case, I am not surprised this took place or might not have been corrected. But that is speculation at this time.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 17, 2018, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Generally speaking, the later in the season it is, the more I care.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post

In my association, we actually make an effort to address it EARLY in the season. We have found that by doing so, we don’t seem to have to deal with it later in the year, except for with visiting teams to our area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Mon Aug 20, 2018, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
... what is the penalty if they don't comply? Send in a report to the state? That will take weeks to correct things and who is supposed to ensure it is followed through with?

The penalty for illegal uniforms, undershirts and gear is, the player can’t play until it is corrected. You send the player to the bench and let the coach know he can’t re-enter the game until the problem has been corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 05:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Illegal Uniforms (Including Illegal Numbers) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Blue_Wannabe View Post
The penalty for illegal uniforms, undershirts and gear is, the player can’t play until it is corrected. You send the player to the bench and let the coach know he can’t re-enter the game until the problem has been corrected.
Not true for an illegal uniform. A coach can "buy" his player with an illegal uniform into the game, the "expense" being a technical foul. No penalty if the team member with an illegal uniform doesn't participate, and stays on the bench the entire game.

A player with illegal equipment can't get into the game at any expense and can’t play until it is corrected.

If a team member participates as a player while wearing an illegal uniform, then a direct technical foul is charged to the head coach, who will lose the coaching box privilege for the remainder of the game. This infraction is penalized when discovered, and the team member with the illegal uniform may participate without further penalty and is not required to change the number. A maximum of one technical foul shall be charged directly to the head coach regardless of the number of offenders.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 21, 2018 at 06:19am.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2018, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
If it is February, I assume (normally correctly) that my peers were not handling business in November. That being said, I always enforce fashion police rules, more strictly in the early season.

However, if a team has been wearing gold uniforms at home the entire season, I am not going to be the first to give a direct T to the head coach. Most likely the team has an exemption from the state anyway (there is one girls team in my area like this).