The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Before the Spring Showers washed us out ( 5 1/2 inches in 2 days ) I had a rather unsettling thing happen in the last game Friday night. I'm calling with a guy who I've know for about 7 years. He called plate 1st game, I got it the 2nd one. He started the game without me and had gone over his plate speech before I got there. That irritated me, as I was in the park, he knew it he started the game 15 minutes early. This was the 1st one of the night. Anyway, that's another can of worms.

In the 2nd game, I tried to go over the mechanics with him. He told me OK and walked off. In the 3rd inning of the game, he is in B position. The batter hits a rope down the 1st base line. I'm about 15 feet down the line watching it land just inside the line, fair, when I hear my partner yell " Foul Ball!!!" Now, I gotta be honest, my first instinct was to try to find a place to hide. My second instinct was to just go ahead and put him out of his misery. After the 1st base coach quit talking to me, I sent him on to the BU who told him he saw it clearly and it was a foul ball. That was his 2nd mistake and his 1st lie. After he almost threw the coach and I went and settled things down, I told him that was my call in every governing body's umpire's manual I had ever read (which is only 3). I explained that I had the best angle, wasn't watching the lead runner, like he shoulda been and I felt I was fully qualaified to fulfill all my obligations as a PU. If he didn't feel this was so, he could leave the field and go talk to the UIC and ask for another partner. He still thinks he was right. I've only done this with 1 other umpire in the last 9 years, but I've talked to the UIC and told him I refuse to call with him anymore. He makes his own rules up, doesn't know the real rules, flirts with the adult coaches and wants to be the show, instead of regulating the game, which should be the show.

OK, I've gotten rid of my frustations, at least until I start thinking about him again.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 08:40pm
In Memoriam

Rick,
I feel your pain.
There're no good reasons for that stuff.
Yet, there no sense trying to deal with ignorance.
Hang in and hold on.
mick

Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Rick,

Take mick's advice.. I know how you feel. I hate BU's
that make calls on fair/foul and out's on fly balls when
they remain in their starting spot. If they don't go out
on fly ball, let plate call it. If not on the line and
not discussed that base would take fair/foul from first/
third on down the line, leave'em alone.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

"He makes his own rules up, doesn't know the real rules, flirts with the adult coaches and wants to be the show, instead of regulating the game, which should be the show"

That could have been me, talking about my "partner from hell" in a Women's FP league last summer. I nearly walked off the field last summer, but decided to stick it out for the player's sake. Told the city's Rec Director to give me a new partner or replace me, but I will never walk on the field with him again.

As luck would have it, he was in a pool of umpires for a H.S. tournament a week ago - and I was paired with him. I talked with the AD and insisted that she change the pairings so I was not on the same field.

It is terrible to feel this way about a fellow umpire, but he is so bad (defiant, arrogant, and unwilling to change, even when shown to be wrong) that I would be ashamed to be associated with him.

WMB
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

I sure as heck am not perfect, but keeping a certain air of professionalism is importent to me. That's why I make it a point to go over who will do what with my partner even if it's the 4th time we've worked together that week. And the comment about on field flirting with the womens' league is familiar with me too. I'm not talking about being friendly, I'm talking about...well, you know what I'm talking about.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

It sounds to me like no matter how bad an umpire may be, he stays in the system. Isn't there some method whereby umpires are evaluated and if necessary, de-certified.
I know the percentages are miniscule but someone that can't perform shouldn't be allowed to continue. It's a disservice to your profession and to the players.
Good umpires are hardly noticed during games. The ones that get talked about among coaches and fans are the ones that stand out for negative reasons.
I think I would rather be hassled with a shortness of qualified umpires then have to deal with a constant stream of complaints about one bad apple.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emaxos
It sounds to me like no matter how bad an umpire may be, he stays in the system. Isn't there some method whereby umpires are evaluated and if necessary, de-certified.
Speaking ASA

To start, an umpire is registered, not certified. Yes, some areas stamp the umpire's registration card "certified", but if memory serves me correctly, that refers to working Championship Play.
Quote:

I know the percentages are miniscule but someone that can't perform shouldn't be allowed to continue. It's a disservice to your profession and to the players.
I agree, but what are you going to say when it comes down to games with or without umpires.

Quote:
Good umpires are hardly noticed during games. The ones that get talked about among coaches and fans are the ones that stand out for negative reasons.
What a crock! Who ever started that saying never stopped to listen. I know a lot of umpires that never get noticed during a game and they stink. They are GAGA and will do anything to avoid controversy including making up their own rules. BTW, I really don't care what the fans or coaches say about myself or other umpires because half of them are always going to feel slighted in some manner. I care more about what other umpires are saying about an umpire's game.

Quote:
I think I would rather be hassled with a shortness of qualified umpires then have to deal with a constant stream of complaints about one bad apple.
Then you've never been in my shoes. Again, what are you going to say after your team travels hours for a tournament to be told, "Sorry, Chief, you team cannot play today because we don't have enough umpires which meat your standard." I'd be willing to bet that you would be satisfied with a parent out of the stands at that point.

Rant ON!

I recruit umpires 24/7 and it is not easy. Retention past the first two years is barely 20% and it isn't because other umpires give them a hard time or make extraordinary demands of them. It's because they are not appreciated and get tired of hearing the crap from the coaches, parents, players and fans.

All I ever hear on some boards are this umpire kicked this and that umpire blew that. Than you have idiot umpires who will not work with rookies because THEY don't want to be bothered helping them or possibly looking bad because of their partner.

This is the only job where you must be 100% right on every thing you do on the first day and then are expected to get better from that point out.

It makes me happy to see that so many people came into this world knowing everything, all the time and have never had to spend any time learning something new and begin from square one.

Are there umpires who aren't that good? Absolutely! Should they be discarded? No. If they are not capable of learning to improve, they should be assigned the games the level of which they are capable of working. One of two things will happen. They will either begin to improve to move on or they will wither away. I'd rather see the former than the latter, but that's life.

Rant OFF!
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

I'll also have to disagree with this statement. I have had several games both baseball and softball where players, fans, and parents did notice the good, and complimented me after the game. I recently called a BB game and later met the coaches and half the team in a local fast food joint. I again was given the praise, and this is from a team which had lost!

This past saturday, I worked a tourney (SB) with my wife. Worked 9 games, if game finished at 12:20 pm after extra innings. Several parents made extra effort to praise us both for a job well done, especially my wife. This wasn't rhetoric, it was actual thanks! I also had as a catcher in 1 game a cute young-un in pigtails (we did 10U all day long) whom I would tell, after brushing off plate to start half inning, I gotta see a smile before we can start. She would then grin from ear to ear, and so would I. I found out later this was the daughter of a varsity BB coach from a few miles away, and I have called some of his games. He's not crazy about my BB strike zone, but he and his wife both gave compliments at tourney! I told them about the smile issue, and mom said that the DD was "grumpy" but she noticed that she now seemed happier and was playing harder.

Good umpires ARE noticed, and the coaches, parents, and fans really appreciate the umpires who are trying to do the best for their players. The kids are the ones who really matter though, and they also notice the good umpires and remember them.

Good umpires still have critics, and there was no shortage saturday. However, you go on and call as fair and as properly as you possibly can. You will be remembered for the good job you have done.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I retract part of my statement. Good umpires are noticed and discussed AND APPRECIATED.

However,
I really don't care what organization one belongs to or what other problems it may cause; if there's a bad apple that reflects negatively on my profession, I want him gone.

I'm not patting myself on the back here but I spend hours on this and other boards learning everything I can about the game and especially what you deal with. I very often tell spectators to shut up until they learn the rules and, while announcing games, I explain certain situational rules to help the fans understand.
I know there's a umpire shortage and I know it's largely caused because of the abuse you take but that does not justify keeping anyone that can't or won't perform their job properly.
That does not include rookies that are learning.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I know there's a umpire shortage and I know it's largely caused because of the abuse you take but that does not justify keeping anyone that can't or won't perform their job properly.
That does not include rookies that are learning.
The problem is that most softball organizations have no perception of the shortage of resources. Too many are living in a Field of Dreams world and that is not a real place.

I have had to tell people, including college club teams, that I cannot supply umpires because they just do not exist. I would love to accommodate all those who ask, but even using unqualified umpires doesn't cover the needs.

The local umpire association has been threatened in the past with lawsuits to provide umpires. Yes, it does go that far. Those folks are basically told to file whatever they please noting you cannot get blood out of a rock.

I have gone so far as to offer every youth organization free training (I do require registration for liability purposes) to those involved in officiating their league even if it isn't ASA. I have only had one organization take advantage of this and registered 7 umpires. Only one showed up for our school. The others chose to stay home or go out and work on the fields that day. Obviously, they do not care about their own children's games, so why should I worry about supplying them umpires? I do because it is in the best interest of ASA, the local association and the leagues.

If we don't put umpires out there, Brand X will. I believe some of the best umpire training comes from ASA and it is up to the umpire to take advantage of it.

Trust me, Chief, I would love to abide by your standards. The problem is that the rest of the softball community, at least in my area, doesn't.

Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 11:13am
In Memoriam

Paradox?

Quote:
... if there's a bad apple that reflects negatively on my profession, I want him gone....

...I very often tell spectators to shut up until they learn the rules....
Hmmm.

Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

..I very often tell spectators to shut up until they learn the rules....

Perhaps "shut up" was too harsh. When I am outside the fence watching games, I have tried to correct spectators in a tactful, informative manner about the rules. As a coach, I'll wait until after the game if I feel one of the fans is misinformed.
Either way, I do it quietly.
If I'm announcing a game, I try to explain certain rulings that may not be widely known. I recall explaining IFR, obstruction, interference and the basics of DP/FLEX.
Several umpires have thanked me for doing that as it lessens the comments.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 12:44pm
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
..I very often tell spectators to shut up until they learn the rules....

Perhaps "shut up" was too harsh. When I am outside the fence watching games, I have tried to correct spectators in a tactful, informative manner about the rules. As a coach, I'll wait until after the game if I feel one of the fans is misinformed.
Either way, I do it quietly.
If I'm announcing a game, I try to explain certain rulings that may not be widely known. I recall explaining IFR, obstruction, interference and the basics of DP/FLEX.
Several umpires have thanked me for doing that as it lessens the comments.

That's what I figgered.
Sounds so much better.
mick
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I have gone so far as to offer every youth organization free training (I do require registration for liability purposes) to those involved in officiating their league even if it isn't ASA. I have only had one organization take advantage of this and registered 7 umpires. Only one showed up for our school. The others chose to stay home or go out and work on the fields that day. Obviously, they do not care about their own children's games, so why should I worry about supplying them umpires? I do because it is in the best interest of ASA, the local association and the leagues.

I was called in early February by a local league who was looking to schedule umpires for games. I told them I would be willing to help schedule, and would even use the people they wanted, but I wanted them to go to our state umpire school. League balked at idea, because of spring break (they like to use HS kids, which is a great idea). So I said, "pick a day, get back to me, and I'll get some of the best umpires and clinicians to come in and do a free clinic, so long as everyone registers ASA. Should take about 4 hours." (it's an ASA league). Never got a call back, and now I hear they are hurting for umpires.

Go figure.

Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I guess certain areas of the country are being harder hit.
I've been around the game here in south Mississippi for about 8 years at the rec league, travel ball, high school and now college levels. Traveled to Alabama, Louisiana and Florida panhandle also.
Besides Fed, we've played under ASA, Dixie, USFA, USSSA and probably a few I've forgotten.
I have never heard about any serious shortage of umpires for all the above.
I do see a lot of the same faces calling for several orgs. Is this the exception to what is done elsewhere?
I know a recent thread discussed problems crossing organizational lines but down here they seem to do OK.