The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 03:31pm
Often wrong never n doubt

My opinion it was a T either under 10-1-1 as they did not supply them with the name of all players that may participate or under 10-1-2 as they had to add the correct name and then change the number to him.

I don't think it was in this occasion but it is possible they were using the wrong name to skate the quarter limitation set by the state.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 03:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
My opinion it was a T either under 10-1-1 as they did not supply them with the name of all players that may participate or under 10-1-2 as they had to add the correct name and then change the number to him.

I don't think it was in this occasion but it is possible they were using the wrong name to skate the quarter limitation set by the state.
Of course you know, the quarter limitation is none of our concern. Who pointed out the wrong name? At what stage of the game?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 03:46pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Of course you know, the quarter limitation is none of our concern. Who pointed out the wrong name? At what stage of the game?

I do know that is none of our concern just was pointing out a reason why it may be important to have the correct name in the book.

It was pointed out by the home score between q1 and q2. The visiting coach agreed that it was not the correct name. It was also incorrect in the visiting book they provided to begin the game. I don't believe it was a case of two players that just had the numbers switched either.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That depends on your state. Here playing in more than your allowed quarter is technical foul and disqualification. So here it is our concern.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 04:00pm
Back from the DL

Reminds me an odd one from pre-season:

Assigner sends me and a college veteran official to a tiny, 66ish-foot gym for a middle school pair. I'm the R for game one, and it's the first time I've ever seen the book with FIRST names only.

It gave me pause, but I left it alone. Never bothered to follow up if it was legal.

Tiny middle schools can be fun -- homemade concessions, stopping to teach the kids what they did wrong, and some old timer in the crowd asking if there is a "10-point rule." (Must be a can't-press thing.)
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule?
3-2-2:
At least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time, each team shall supply the official scorer with the NAME and NUMBER of each team member and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul. (10-1-1 PENALTY)
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 04:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
3-2-2:
At least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time, each team shall supply the official scorer with the NAME and NUMBER of each team member and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul. (10-1-1 PENALTY)
A name and number was provided. The name was later changed. You cannot find any citations which state that changing the name is a technical.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
A name and number was provided. The name was later changed. You cannot find any citations which state that changing the name is a technical.
The rule doesn't state, as you quoted "A" name and number to be provided. The rule requires THE name and number of each team member...

Words mean things. "A" is very different from "THE".
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I am of the opinion that supplying name X instead of name Y is a failure to supply name Y. I would penalize this with a technical foul.

The right names are needed. It's not okay to have kids playing under other names.

I would not allow a coach to submit a roster with the names of the 1987 Celtics. It would be amusing, but improper.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I am of the opinion that supplying name X instead of name Y is a failure to supply name Y. I would penalize this with a technical foul.

The right names are needed. It's not okay to have kids playing under other names.

I would not allow a coach to submit a roster with the names of the 1987 Celtics. It would be amusing, but improper.
I wouldn't know if he submitted a roster full of phony names.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Fundamentally, a number is not a player, it is something used to identify a player. If I were tell you #23 is playing, do you know who that is? Would you be OK if the book said Joe Schmo when Michael Jordan took the court? Jordan was not on that roster even if his number was. The number could be anyone's.

If the name is not in the book, it must be added. If someone else's name has their number, that must be changed too.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Dec 18, 2017 at 07:13pm.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

I was thinking the same thing. If I saw a roster that said:

5 John
11 John
13 John
22 John
25 John
30 John
31 John
43 John
44 John

...Then I think I 'd have a problem with that.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 01:32am
We don't rent pigs

It is truly a small world. VG game tonight: I checked the book, and the visitors' side had........... no names at all. I asked the scorer if the list submitted included names. She said it did, then picked it up and showed it to me. Apparently she didn't care what the names were, and after a moment of consideration I decided I didn't either. Play on. But take this deeper. These teams didn't know each other, but let's say they did. Middle of the second quarter a sub enters. Buzzer sounds and the scorer waves us over. 13's name is wrong in the book. She's not Mary Smith, she's Mary Jones. Let's just say that it's a given that this is illegal. (obviously this issue is in doubt)
Official: "Coach, she says 13's name is wrong in the book."

Coach: "Let me see! Uh..... no! That's her name, yeah that's it, Mary Smith. That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

What are you gonna do, ask for her ID?

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is truly a small world. VG game tonight: I checked the book, and the visitors' side had........... no names at all. I asked the scorer if the list submitted included names. She said it did, then picked it up and showed it to me. Apparently she didn't care what the names were, and after a moment of consideration I decided I didn't either. Play on. But take this deeper. These teams didn't know each other, but let's say they did. Middle of the second quarter a sub enters. Buzzer sounds and the scorer waves us over. 13's name is wrong in the book. She's not Mary Smith, she's Mary Jones. Let's just say that it's a given that this is illegal. (obviously this issue is in doubt)

Coach: "Let me see! Uh..... no! That's her name, yeah that's it, Mary Smith. That's my story and I'm sticking to it."

Some things are readily handled by the referee of the game, with others it may be better to report them to the governing authority of the contest whether that be the league commissioner, school ADs, or state office. They can always decide to penalize unethical behavior at a later time.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That would probably be an issue for the state and they may very well forfeit the game for playing with a player not actually on the team. But not much more that you can do about it.

The names are there for the opposing team's preparation. The coaches instruct the players who they will guarding. If the roster said the starters were John, Dave, etc. but Brad, Chuck, etc. stepped on the floor wearing the numbers listed as starters, that would be wrong, unfair, and not in the spirit of the game. The purpose of providing the names is for the opposing coach to know who is actually starting. They don't make defensive assignments on numbers but on players.