The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wrong name in book (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103253-wrong-name-book.html)

jeremy341a Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:14pm

Wrong name in book
 
I was made aware of this situation.

In between Q1 and Q2 the bookkeeper and calls over the official. They said that V#5 who had played in the first quarter had the wrong name. Basically the #5 was listed as John Doe but in reality the kid was named something else. The guest book was checked and it had the wrong name in it as well so this was not a book keeper error.

How do they proceed?

just another ref Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33pm

Change it (if they want to) and move on. There is no penalty for changing a name, only a number.

Eastshire Mon Dec 18, 2017 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1013203)
Change it (if they want to) and move on. There is no penalty for changing a name, only a number.

10-1-1

Quote:

A team shall not:

Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.

PENALTY: (Art. 1) One foul for both requirements. Penalized when it occurs.
However, you need to check the information provided to the scorers and confirm that it was incorrect there. It's not enough to just look at the books. If the roster was wrong, that's an administrative technical for failing to provide the name and number of a team member who participated.

just another ref Mon Dec 18, 2017 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 1013209)
10-1-1



However, you need to check the information provided to the scorers and confirm that it was incorrect there. It's not enough to just look at the books. If the roster was wrong, that's an administrative technical for failing to provide the name and number of a team member who participated.


They did not fail to provide it.

Eastshire Mon Dec 18, 2017 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1013211)
They did not fail to provide it.

If they provide the name John Doe but they play Tim Edgar, how have they not failed to provide the name Tim Edgar?

Camron Rust Mon Dec 18, 2017 02:04pm

Changing a name or a number is a T.

just another ref Mon Dec 18, 2017 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 1013213)
If they provide the name John Doe but they play Tim Edgar, how have they not failed to provide the name Tim Edgar?

10-1-1 penalty is for failure to provide the list before the ten minute mark. Names and numbers can all be wrong and there is no penalty in 10-1-1.
10-1-2 penalty is for adding a name (and number) or changing a number.

Think of it this way. All the names could be wrong and you'd never know the difference. Numbers must be correct for obvious reasons.

just another ref Mon Dec 18, 2017 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1013216)
Changing a name or a number is a T.

Rule?

VaTerp Mon Dec 18, 2017 03:03pm

Unless there is evidence that they were purposefully trying to be deceitful, I'm treating this as an administrative error and moving on.

Others mileage may vary but I'm confident this is how the people I work for would want this handled.

Don't be that guy issuing a T here unless your assingors/supervisors have expressed otherwise.

Eastshire Mon Dec 18, 2017 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 1013226)
Unless there is evidence that they were purposefully trying to be deceitful, I'm treating this as an administrative error and moving on.

Others mileage may vary but I'm confident this is how the people I work for would want this handled.

Don't be that guy issuing a T here unless your assingors/supervisors have expressed otherwise.

Of course it's an administrative error, that's why it's an administrative technical. It's a T to add a name to the book which is what you have to do here.

just another ref Mon Dec 18, 2017 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastshire (Post 1013228)
Of course it's an administrative error, that's why it's an administrative technical. It's a T to add a name to the book which is what you have to do here.

To add a name would be to increase the total number of team members. Such is not the case here.

Eastshire Mon Dec 18, 2017 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1013230)
To add a name would be to increase the total number of team members. Such is not the case here.

Was the name there before? Is it there now? It's been added.

"No, it was changed." How was it changed? You took one name off and added a new one.

I'm always amazed at the lengths some members of this forum will go to bail out coaches and players from technical fouls.

Camron Rust Mon Dec 18, 2017 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 1013218)
Rule?

10-2-2.

The name of a player was not in the book and had to be added. They also had to change the number to the correct player.

The name is what identifies who is playing. If that player is not listed in the book, they must be added. Opposing teams don't plan for which numbers are playing but which individuals are playing. The number just facilitates the bookkeeping.

Raymond Mon Dec 18, 2017 03:21pm

I can't find anywhere that says it is a T to change a name. Changing a number is explicitly stated as a T.

just another ref Mon Dec 18, 2017 03:22pm

The key word here is require.

"A team shall not require the scorer to change a player or team member's number in the scorebook.

If a number is wrong, the scorer is required to change it in order to accurately keep up with what happens in the game. If a name is wrong...... it means nothing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1