The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Slap the backboard T?

Here's the play.... offensive player is heading to shoot a layup. Trail defender goes to block shot and just misses touching the ball (in fact he may have actually grazed it). His momentum causes him to slap the backboard while the ball is above or on the rim. The shot falls out and misses.

What is the call here?

The referee called it a Technical foul, but I'm not sure that's right. I thought if it was an attempt to block the shot it wasn't a technical. The rule I found says it's a technical if:

ART. 4 . . . Illegally contact the backboard/ring by:
a. Placing a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage.
b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

It seems to me that the word 'intentionally' refers to every part of art 4, b. So this should not have been a technical because it was not intentional. Am I interpreting this correct?
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 12:13am
AremRed

No call, hitting the backboard was incidental to the shot block attempt.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 06:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

From The List ...

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference, nor is it goaltending, and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot, and accidentally slaps the backboard, it is neither a violation, nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Feb 25, 2021 at 12:40pm.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

It was clearly not a frustration or attention slap. The player attempted to block the shot and the referee in question said because the board was hit so hard with the ball on the rim he had no alternative but to issue a technical foul.

I also asked if it mattered if the ball was actually blocked? The response I was given was, that even if the defender actually got part of the ball on the block attempt if the follow thru caused him to hit the backboard while the ball was on the rim its still a technical foul.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzmokramer View Post
It was clearly not a frustration or attention slap. The player attempted to block the shot and the referee in question said because the board was hit so hard with the ball on the rim he had no alternative but to issue a technical foul.

I also asked if it mattered if the ball was actually blocked? The response I was given was, that even if the defender actually got part of the ball on the block attempt if the follow thru caused him to hit the backboard while the ball was on the rim its still a technical foul.
The vast majority of HS officials have an understanding of that rule which is different from that of the referee with whom you spoke.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 08:16am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:

As explained, this referee was incorrect.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 08:54am
Stubborn Member

And, sadly, it doesn't sound like that official will ever accept being wrong.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 12:55pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The vast majority of HS officials have an understanding of that rule which is different from that of the referee with whom you spoke.
He must be moonlighting as an NBA or G-League ref on his nights off.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is why I was so surprised by the explanation that was given to me. Thought this was a pretty commonly known rule. The funniest thing about it was that the referee approached me after halftime to tell me that they looked the rule up at half and that he got it right.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Is this the same guy that thought only head coach and players could stand during a 30 sec time out?
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... they looked the rule up ....
On facebook.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Vibrations (Beach Boys, 1966) ...

Way back in twentieth century, I believe that the decision to charge a technical foul for slapping the backboard was based on whether, or not, the slap caused the basket/backboard to vibrate. Of course, that is no longer the case, a slap resulting from an attempt to block a shot can cause the basket/backboard to shake like a Polaroid picture and it's play on.

Am I right Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

Hey. A reference to OutKast and the Beach Boys in the same Forum post. Not too shabby.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 03:39pm.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 02:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can Look It Up ...

Quote:
The referee called it a Technical foul, ART. 4 Illegally contact the backboard/ring by: b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.
To play the devil's advocate, the word highlighted is "or", so let's separate that clause, as one is allowed to do when dealing with "or":

A player shall not: Illegally contact the backboard/ring by: ... causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

This, in essence, takes intent out of the equation.

Could this be why he rationalized calling it a technical foul after looking it up?

Quote:
... the referee approached me after halftime to tell me that they looked the rule up at half and that he got it right.
Of course, he would have to ignore the casebook play, and the Point of Emphasis:

10.3.4 SITUATION: A1 tries for a goal, and (a) B1 jumps and attempts to block
the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard and the ball goes into the basket;
or (b) B1 vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net and the ball does
not enter the basket. RULING: In (a) legal and the basket counts; and (b) a technical
foul is charged to B1 and there is no basket. COMMENT: The purpose of the
rule is to penalize intentional contact with the backboard while a shot or try is
involved or placing a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage. A player who
strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt
to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration may be assessed
a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-6.

2008-09 POINTS OF EMPHASIS
4. SLAPPING THE BACKBOARD. The incidents of players slapping the backboard are increasing throughout the country. The rules specify that “intentionally slapping or striking the backboard” is a technical foul (10-3-5). The spirit and intent of that rule is to penalize a player for drawing attention to him/herself or as a means of venting frustration. A player who strikes the backboard in a legitimate attempt to block a try for goal should not be penalized. Basket interference cannot be ruled in either of the above situations. Basket interference only occurs if the ball is interfered with while in the cylinder above the basket ring or by touching either the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket (4-6).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 03:20pm.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 07:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That is why I was so surprised by the explanation that was given to me. Thought this was a pretty commonly known rule. The funniest thing about it was that the referee approached me after halftime to tell me that they looked the rule up at half and that he got it right.
If your area uses assigners, I would email the assigner.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoach13 View Post
Is this the same guy that thought only head coach and players could stand during a 30 sec time out?
Ummm, when did I mention that?