The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I understand the "intentional" part of the rule, but I thought if the ball was above, or on the rim, and the kid whacks the board, even unintentionally, you had something?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
I understand the "intentional" part of the rule, but I thought if the ball was above, or on the rim, and the kid whacks the board, even unintentionally, you had something?
Incorrect, at least for FED.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 10:35am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Incorrect, at least for FED.
I was intrigued by the "on the rim" part of his post.

Is the backboard not considered part of the basket? If it is, then we have basket interference if a defender slaps the backboard while the ball is "on the rim".
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 10:43am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Is the backboard not considered part of the basket?
Wow. The basket is very clearly defined.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

If the ball is on the rim and the backboard is slapped, it's probably not a legitimate attempt to block the shot, and the correct call would be a T. And of course, if the ball rolls off the rim in this instance, you can't count it no matter how hard the board is hit.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 10:49am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
Wow. The basket is very clearly defined.
1-10-1 does define the basket, but what harm is there in asking? You know.... Besides being treated like a moron?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1-10-1 does define the basket, but what harm is there in asking? You know.... Besides being treated like a moron?

Because you will learn more by looking it up yourself than by just asking for the answer.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 11:04am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Because you will learn more by looking it up yourself than by just asking for the answer.
I understand. However 1. My rule book wasn't handy at the time, and 2. I was curious what a respected veteran such as yourself thought. And furthermore, I couldn't find a play in this year's case book (can't find the old ones as they are packed away somewhere since I moved) that may have answered this exact scenario.

And to be fair, the vast majority of questions presented here could be answered by saying "read the rule book".

Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

When this happened in a game a couple years ago and my partner made the call, which I disagreed with, I only asked him "if he thought it was a valid block attempt". He said "no" so we moved on with the T (although I think he kicked the call) his justification was correct and I wasn't going to argue.

It's something we discussed in the locker room and we disagreed but you have to understand that he made the call, he correctly justified the call, he gets to deal with the irate coaches to back up his call.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 11:25am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I didn't mean to treat you like a moron. I was honestly surprised by the question. Asking if the backboard is part of the basket doesn't seem much different to me from asking if the ball is part of the basket.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2017, 11:29am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I didn't mean to treat you like a moron. I was honestly surprised by the question. Asking if the backboard is part of the basket doesn't seem much different to me from asking if the ball is part of the basket.
Ok. That's fair.

Old Thu Feb 25, 2021, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

So if the ball is on the top of the ring, defender intentionally whacks the backboard with no intentions of blocking the shot, the ball rolls in the basket:
Count the basket, Technical on the defender, shoot 2 shots and get the ball at half court? NFHS rules please. So this can be a 7 point swing?
Old Thu Feb 25, 2021, 08:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
So if the ball is on the top of the ring, defender intentionally whacks the backboard with no intentions of blocking the shot, the ball rolls in the basket:
Count the basket, Technical on the defender, shoot 2 shots and get the ball at half court? NFHS rules please. So this can be a 7 point swing?
Slapping the backboard does not kill the ball from scoring. So if you are so inclined to make this call, then the basket is still going to count if the ball goes in.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 25, 2021, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Thank you
Old Thu Feb 25, 2021, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

You say toe-mah-toe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzmokramer View Post
ART. 4 . . . Illegally contact the backboard/ring by:
a. Placing a hand on the backboard or ring to gain an advantage.
b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.
I wonder if everyone is overthinking this word 'or.' Or, ironically, if it is another case of a poorly worded rule...

What if it is intended to mean "intentionally slapping or striking the backboard so as to make the ring vibrate." In other words, making the ring vibrate was the intent of slapping the backboard. I honestly don't know how you can slap the backboard hard enough that you would consider a T, yet the ring wouldn't vibrate.

A player thinks "geez...I won't be able to actually touch the ball and block the shot, but if I hit the backboard with enough force that the ring vibrates, the ball may fall off and/or not go in....

I know that the debate has been had that it is very difficult to adjudicate a players intent, but just a thought. If this seems silly, someone please shut this line of thinking down very quickly!