The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 08:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF View Post
There are a wide variety of both leather and patent leather officiating shoes out there.....I was just being sarcastic.....but in my personal opinion you look 100% more professional with a polished pair of shoes. I guess I'm just old school...been doing HS and College for 31 years.
I did not complete disagree, but the problem is we only have so many choices. And the best shoes are not at all made of leather, let alone black leather. Heck, it is hard to find a shoe that is all black.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 13, 2017, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I wear Nike Air Presto, all black. Really comfy shoe.

https://images.nike.com/is/image/Dot...resto-shoe.jpg
Old Mon Nov 13, 2017, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post
I wear Nike Air Presto, all black. Really comfy shoe.

https://images.nike.com/is/image/Dot...resto-shoe.jpg
I agree that Presto's are incredibly comfortable - they are my favorite shoe Nike has ever made, but I would never ever wear them to ref in. There is no support whatsoever. I would twist an ankle several times per game in those shoes. I went looking for the shoes JRut mentioned but they aren't available in my size anywhere - I really like the look of them. Gotta get shoes as soon as you see them and get multiple pairs. They never last on the market.
Old Mon Nov 13, 2017, 06:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I agree that Presto's are incredibly comfortable - they are my favorite shoe Nike has ever made, but I would never ever wear them to ref in. There is no support whatsoever. I would twist an ankle several times per game in those shoes. I went looking for the shoes JRut mentioned but they aren't available in my size anywhere - I really like the look of them. Gotta get shoes as soon as you see them and get multiple pairs. They never last on the market.
They were not available at one time and now they seem to be available again. But the dilemma is just like you stated because you kind find a great shoe and it is not available for long. Or you go weeks and months without being able to find that shoe. I bought 3 pairs of those shoe total this fall. It has been awhile since I have bought a newer shoe. I always go get a few pairs for the reason we stated.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I've not had any issue with that....yet!

Somebody mentioned the running shoe brand, Hoka...I was out at the mall this weekend and tried some on ....damn they were nice!
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Mail-order mambo

Guys, have to ask: Aren't those running shoes a bit narrow and how can they be good against rolling ankles? Obviously, if so many of you are wearing them, they must be OK, but having used long-distance running shoes in younger days, I know they're a different construct and I'd be scared stiff that my oft-rolled ankles would go quickly the first time there's a couple of steals and I had to change directions quickly without thinking.

Second: I have an in between size -- 13 in some shoes, 14 in others, merely because of the cut/style. The first Zig offered a 13.5, which was great, but Reebok doesn't offer it in the newer iteration, I found out the hard way.

So how do you figure out what works with these mail-order joints? Could get expensive (and time-consuming) ordering shoes, sending them back, ordering a new size/style, etc. to get the right fit. It's not as if most of these all-black shoes are available at the corner store to walk in and try on.

I guess maybe I just have to bite the bullet and order a pair, see if they work and then figure it might cost me some return shipping a few times to get the right shoe/fit. Or am I seeing this wrong? Need to get some shoes soon and stop procrastinating!
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 10:28pm
Stubborn Member

For years I've always worn running shoes to ref in. I currently use a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 19s (black, of course). I've also had Asics and Pumas in the past. However I found a pair of Nike Infuriate basketball shoes that looked nice, and had some good reviews on Amazon and elsewhere. Anybody here ever wear them?

BTW, I can't bring myself to spend $100+ on shoes to ref in. Perhaps I should, but until I can't find a good pair for under a hundred bucks then I'm cool.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
So how do you figure out what works with these mail-order joints? Could get expensive (and time-consuming) ordering shoes, sending them back, ordering a new size/style, etc. to get the right fit. It's not as if most of these all-black shoes are available at the corner store to walk in and try on.
Go to the mall to a Foot Locker or any athletic shoe store - even Dick's and try on a style you like for size, then leave without buying. Simple as that. Then you know your size. Try on different brands so you know your size in all major brands - you're likely to be the same size in a brand consistently, but not necessarily the same size in each brand.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post

I guess maybe I just have to bite the bullet and order a pair, see if they work and then figure it might cost me some return shipping a few times to get the right shoe/fit. Or am I seeing this wrong? Need to get some shoes soon and stop procrastinating!
Most of them have free shipping, including the return. So, you're at no risk of losing anything. You can even order 2-3 sizes to get it right the first time.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Amazon Prime and Zappos come to mind. Both do free returns if they don't fit.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They were not available at one time and now they seem to be available again. But the dilemma is just like you stated because you kind find a great shoe and it is not available for long. Or you go weeks and months without being able to find that shoe. I bought 3 pairs of those shoe total this fall. It has been awhile since I have bought a newer shoe. I always go get a few pairs for the reason we stated.

Peace
I was finally able to find the Nike Vapormax Flyknit in the all black "Triple Noir" color last month and really love them. I have worn them less than a dozen times and last night for the first time ever in Nike shoes had a blowout in the heel airbag in the second quarter of an intense boys V game. Was the weirdest feeling having no heel support in one shoe while trying to run full speed. Luckily I keep an extra pair of shoes (Kobe 11's) in my bag and switched out at halftime.

I was really depressed because I knew they no longer had my size but also knew that Nike would take the shoes back no questions asked. When I called customer support this morning, I was shocked to find out they have a new supply of Vapormax Flyknit in most sizes, including mine. So I ordered a new pair and when they process my claim, I will just end up even for it. Life is good. As long as the new pair doesn't blowout, too.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Most of them have free shipping, including the return. So, you're at no risk of losing anything. You can even order 2-3 sizes to get it right the first time.
I believe Ump-Attire has the same policy, at least with some minimum $ order, which a pair of shoes is likely to satisfy. And the customer service cannot be beat--matched, perhaps, but not beat.

Last edited by LRZ; Wed Jan 10, 2018 at 11:07am.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

It seems like they are making enough to sell out soon and making them available later. I have heard of Nike shoes having a blowout on the bottom. This is not something that has happened to me, fortunately. But I love the shoe for the most part. I like the fact most of all that they are very light.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post
Any other suggestions for other brands/models of shoes that I can look into? Seems like most of the online referee shops are pushing Zigs, 3n2, or New Balance.

I know shoes fit everybody differently - just looking for a staring point.
This season I replaced my beloved Nike Air Max 2014's (I had stock piled a few pairs) with the Leather Bondi from Hoka One One. I got them from Zappo's after trying them on at a local shoe store. I'm a bit of a Clydesdale at 6'4" 255, and these are like running on pillows. Being all black leather I could also shine them up if I had a mind to. A bit pricey, but I've found they've been worth it. YMMV.
Old Thu Jan 11, 2018, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post
I have heard about the Nike Air Max - anybody wear these? If so, where did you find them. I googled them and there seem to be several different types of Nike Air Max shoes.
I love Air Maxes. My all time favorite shoe is the 2009 Air Max, which is the last one I could find in all leather. I bought 2 pair in 2010, wore one pair out over 2 seasons, and have worn the other pair sparingly since. Its still in great condition but unfortunately something happened to the air bubble when wearing them the other week and it bulges out slightly right in the ball of my feet.

I have been wearing the matte leather Zigs mostly this season but looking to get the Nike Air Max More if I can find them in my size.

I have a preference for leather, not patent, but its almost impossible to find these days.

I like the Zigs but if I could find a good leather Air Max I'd buy 3 or 4 pair of them.

Last edited by VaTerp; Thu Jan 11, 2018 at 09:35am.