The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:27am
In Time Out

sub question,2 shoe lace

once a player leaves the floor and a sub enter can the first player still come right back in as a sub? say subbed on accident.

also and the way I've been doing it if a players shoes becomes untied I let them know during a break and maybe stop it if there is a lull in the action. Do you ever stop play if a player, especially one on D has their shoe untied?
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:43am
M.A.S.H.

3-3-3 and 3-3-4 should answer your question.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 01:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
once a player leaves the floor and a sub enter can the first player still come right back in as a sub? say subbed on accident.

also and the way I've been doing it if a players shoes becomes untied I let them know during a break and maybe stop it if there is a lull in the action. Do you ever stop play if a player, especially one on D has their shoe untied?
No, I will never stop play for a shoe lace being untied. I will not even stop play if they lose their shoe. They need to wait until play has stopped naturally and then get the situation corrected. If they do not know how to tie a shoe they have bigger problems.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Agreed. No need to stop play for this, and I don't generally even delay putting the ball in play at even the middle school level.
Now, if my shoe comes untied, that's a different story.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Agreed. No need to stop play for this, and I don't generally even delay putting the ball in play at even the middle school level.
It was so bad in one of the B12U Rec Leagues I reffed at a few yrs ago I recall stepping in to the circle for the opening jump once and stating, "Gentlemen, shirts tucked in, pants up, shoes tied? First player who holds up the game to tie their shoes - coach owes me a dollar! Have fun. Here we go." (Too much talking I know, but it was rec and got my point across).

My experience, and for whatever reason now that I think about it, seems to be less of a problem now. shrug.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Just last week had a player (HS freshman) turn to me after her team got a rebound and say, "Time out, ref," pointing at a shoe in her hand. So I granted it, knowing she just wanted me to pause the game so she could get fixed up and continue.

Her coach, almost predictably, started in on me from across the court with a hot, "I didn't call time out!" and I just pointed to her point guard, who was limping off the court. Things quieted down pretty quickly, though I'm sure the coach (and no doubt the fans behind me) still were pretty certain there should have been a "courtesy" time out.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I won't stop action for someone to tie shoe - but if I am administering for an inbound pass - I will hesitate if I see someone trying to tie their shoe. I'll do this for MS and even frosh games. However - I won't wait forever. They need to be quickly finishing up. If not, the ball goes to inbounder.

I've even had a JUCO coach ask for a courtesy TO for his point guard to tie shoe. Ya, that was gonna happen. After he asked again when I ignored him I told him that perhaps velcro might be a good idea for his point guard. Never heard from him again.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:52am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Just last week had a player (HS freshman) turn to me after her team got a rebound and say, "Time out, ref," pointing at a shoe in her hand. So I granted it, knowing she just wanted me to pause the game so she could get fixed up and continue.

Her coach, almost predictably, started in on me from across the court with a hot, "I didn't call time out!" and I just pointed to her point guard, who was limping off the court. Things quieted down pretty quickly, though I'm sure the coach (and no doubt the fans behind me) still were pretty certain there should have been a "courtesy" time out.
In a case like this, and especially with freshman, without stopping the game I usually tell the player that if I give her a TO, her team will be charged with it, and I then ask her if she still wants it.

That's just me though......
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 10:53am
Archaic Power Monger

I am just amazed at the number of teenagers that are evidently unable to tie their own shoes properly. I see this must be a nationwide phenomenom.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
In a case like this, and especially with freshman, without stopping the game I usually tell the player that if I give her a TO, her team will be charged with it, and I then ask her if she still wants it.

That's just me though......
... me, too, but they were up by 35 with about three minutes to go and she was having a really good game and the coach wasn't going to chew her out. I hear ya, JR.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

I'll absolutely take time for someone to quickly tie their shoe if need be. Last thing I need is a parent or coach on me for not noticing an untied shoe and a player getting hurt.

If one player is tying, I'll have everyone check their shoes so we don't have to stop again at the next dead ball.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:54am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I am just amazed at the number of teenagers that are evidently unable to tie their own shoes properly. I see this must be a nationwide phenomenom.
I think the skill of "shoe tying" went out a few yrs ago along with cursive writing!
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I'll absolutely take time for someone to quickly tie their shoe if need be. Last thing I need is a parent or coach on me for not noticing an untied shoe and a player getting hurt.

If one player is tying, I'll have everyone check their shoes so we don't have to stop again at the next dead ball.
I absolutely won't take time. Ever. Well, maybe for 6 year-olds.

Making sure that shoes are tied isn't part of our officiating duties. That's solely up to the player and I could care less what coaches or parents think. And there's no rules backing to stop the game for a displaced shoe, as there is for displaced glasses.

Has anyone ever seen a college game stopped for an untied shoelace or a displaced shoe? I sureasheck haven't.

I have to disagree completely with anyone advocating stopping the game for that reason. If they want to waste a TO to put their shoe back on, fine with me. But I ain't giving them a free timeout.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I absolutely won't take time. Ever. Well, maybe for 6 year-olds.

Making sure that shoes are tied isn't part of our officiating duties. That's solely up to the player and I could care less what coaches or parents think. And there's no rules backing to stop the game for a displaced shoe, as there is for displaced glasses.

Has anyone ever seen a college game stopped for an untied shoelace or a displaced shoe? I sureasheck haven't.

I have to disagree completely with anyone advocating stopping the game for that reason. If they want to waste a TO to put their shoe back on, fine with me. But I ain't giving them a free timeout.
Stopping the game? I agree with JR

Delaying the resumption? I let them get the shoe tied, unless it becomes a problem, in which case I make them leave the game (only once -- when the player was trying to "ice" the FT shooter)
Old Wed Jan 13, 2010, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Delaying the resumption? I let them get the shoe tied, unless it becomes a problem, in which case I make them leave the game (only once -- when the player was trying to "ice" the FT shooter)
Delaying the resumption? I agree with Bob J.