The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Yet another officiating shoe question

I am looking at replacing one of my pairs of Reebok Zigs and was looking to try something different.

I have heard about the Nike Air Max - anybody wear these? If so, where did you find them. I googled them and there seem to be several different types of Nike Air Max shoes.

Any other suggestions for other brands/models of shoes that I can look into? Seems like most of the online referee shops are pushing Zigs, 3n2, or New Balance.

I did find one place selling Adidas Speed Runners. Anybody have experience with those (or using running shoes in general)? I like the idea of the mesh for breath ability, but was wondering if a running shoe would provide decent support.

I know shoes fit everybody differently - just looking for a staring point.

Last edited by Dave9819; Thu Nov 09, 2017 at 12:31pm.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I rotate between the zigs and all black Brooks Adrenaline. The adrenaline are awesome because they're made for distance running so they are very supportive and hold up well.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 12:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

The RefZigs were really the best shoe that I have worn in my career. They were comfortable and I never had any other major problems. But I did look for other shoes as the Zigs had changed a little and started looking at other brands.

I just bought the Nike Air VaporMax Flyknit. This shoe is very light and easy to run in. I love this shoe, but if you are stuck on just wearing a leather version, there is not one at this time. It is a mesh surface but is very comfortable. I have purchased the one with a little grey, but there are versions with some all-black in them as well. Love the shoe and used them near in preseason events.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go to a running store and have them examine your stride and foot type.

If you want a running shoe, Brooks carries an all-black model designed for people that need support.

The most important thing is to not be cheap and change shoes when it's time. Shoes are the most important part of your uniform when it comes to taking care of your body.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 01:55pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The most important thing is to not be cheap and change shoes when it's time. Shoes are the most important part of your uniform when it comes to taking care of your body.
This literally cannot be stressed enough.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
This literally cannot be stressed enough.
I'm curious how you would figuratively stress it. Because only then would literally stressing it make any sense.

#TrendyButImproperlyUsedWords
Old Thu Nov 09, 2017, 05:53pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I'm curious how you would figuratively stress it. Because only then would literally stressing it make any sense.

#TrendyButImproperlyUsedWords
Can that be metaphorically stressed enough?
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Just wondering how you polish a mesh shoe?
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF View Post
You don't. Is there some unwritten rule that we have to wear material that can be polished?
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 03:00pm

Brooks Adrenaline and Asics Gel Cumulus are the two I rotate.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 03:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You don't. And unless the major shoe manufacturers make shoes that can be shined, then you are left with the current style. Many shoes do not work for everyone so you have to go with what works. At least in my recent experience, it appears that many officials are left with shoes that do not shine. I used to feel that a non-leather shoe was not acceptable, but you cannot find many shoes that are leather or some type of leather style all over the shoe.

Peace
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I used to feel that a non-leather shoe was not acceptable, but you cannot find many shoes that are leather or some type of leather style all over the shoe.
I used to think this, too. When I first got into officiating I noticed almost everyone was wearing a leather or patent leather shoe, so that’s what I thought I had to go with. As I got more experience and moved up I realized that plenty of officials wear mesh shoes and that I had so many more options. And as long as your shoes are clean, hardly anyone cares or even notices how shiny or not they are except other officials.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

There are a wide variety of both leather and patent leather officiating shoes out there.....I was just being sarcastic.....but in my personal opinion you look 100% more professional with a polished pair of shoes. I guess I'm just old school...been doing HS and College for 31 years.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Spot-Bilts ...

Back when I started officiating, over thirty-seven years ago, there were no "sneaker-like" basketball official's shoes, just black shoes with rubber soles. I had a pair of Spot-Bilts that took a spit shine that a Marine would be proud of. I actually had a shoemaker resole them several times until the uppers wore out. They weighed a ton, but offered great support, and took a shine that you could see your reflection in.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 10, 2017, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are a wide variety of both leather and patent leather officiating shoes out there.....I was just being sarcastic.....but in my personal opinion you look 100% more professional with a polished pair of shoes. I guess I'm just old school...been doing HS and College for 31 years.
Funny, because I see plenty of officials that work deep in into the NCAA Tournament and the NBA Playoffs (even high school playoffs) that wear mesh shoes, and no one’s ever batted an eye or said “Wow, the guy wearing the shiny Zigs looks so much more professional.” In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if more officials at the higher levels wear mesh shoes as opposed to leather/patent.

And I don’t know of any black running shoe (the type of shoe that many officials prefer to wear) that does not have a mesh upper.