The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Question from a 1st Year: Those other members of the officiating crew.

One play that has cropped up a couple of times for me that has caused me some grief is the fast break pull up 3 point shot. It has happened to me a couple of times...

I'm the Lead, down past the endline. Team A pass is stolen out near the 28 foot line by B1. Everybody on the court is now in transition, including me up the sideline. As I'm nearing the division line, B1 pulls up for a shot very near to 3-point line, directly between me and his basket.

I cannot see the front side of his shoe as it relates to the line. Both times that it has happened to me, my partner (who I am told is responsible for this call in this situation) has no indication for me. As I recall, they were looking elsewhere both times.

Anyways, shot is good! What the hell am I supposed to do? I do not know if this was a 3-point goal or not. One of the things on my pre-game audio that I listened to said, "Get the 3-point call right. Stop play if need be."

So, if I blow it dead I'm going to my partner. If he has nothing is there any way we can award 3 points? Can someone from the rest of our crew of officials help? Person running clock says "he was behind the line"?

Can we help a 1st year, Vanilla Ice lovin' brother out here?

Word.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Are you working 2 man or 3? I'll assume 2 since you're new. In transistion, if you are near the shot and it is on your side of the court, take a peek at it and signal the 3 point attempt. If it is on the on the opposite side of the court, your partner has to live and die by it. Ultimately in both scenarios, it is the T's call. As with any call in any sport, if you are not completely sure, don't call anything.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Look to your partners first - if they don't help you out and you are not sure because you could not see for whatever reason you award 2 points for the bucket.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Pre-game that specific situation with your partner(s). Agree on the coverage to be used.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

I asume two person crew. This is something I allways pre-game with my partner on coverage help and steal/quick transition. This is your call. Your partner is way out of position due to the steal. You need to get the best angle to see the feet and 3 point line. You can not go to your partner for help on this situation. He can not guess from his position. You will both look bad if that happens. Make the best call you can and live with it. If it appears the toes are behind the line fom your best angle, you got a "three".
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

2 man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Are you working 2 man or 3? I'll assume 2 since you're new. In transistion, if you are near the shot and it is on your side of the court, take a peek at it and signal the 3 point attempt. If it is on the on the opposite side of the court, your partner has to live and die by it. Ultimately in both scenarios, it is the T's call. As with any call in any sport, if you are not completely sure, don't call anything.
I'm doing everything I can to see, but I am behind the shooter and cannot make a determination.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Lets say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Pre-game that specific situation with your partner(s). Agree on the coverage to be used.
we did pre-game it. It was my partner's responsibility to see it, but they did not see it and give me no signal.

What happens next? Play continues? I check scoreboard to see that only 2 points was added? Stop play? Caucus? Make sure that table only added 2?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=ca_rumperee] One of the things on my pre-game audio that I listened to said, "Get the 3-point call right. Stop play if need be."
QUOTE]

I disagree with this. If you are not sure and you blow the play dead, you are calling attention to the fact that you aren't sure. If you are not sure, don't signal the 3 and play on. This is a tough call in 2 man but as I said earlier, if you are guessing, a no call is a better guess.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Don't stop play. Only stop if you do not agree with the 3 point call (IOW you see the shooter on/over the line).

A good signal that is not in the book is to point to the line with 2 fingers on the shot if you see a foot on the line. Then put up 2 fingers when it goes in. This way there is not doubt.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
I'm doing everything I can to see, but I am behind the shooter and cannot make a determination.
I understand that this play can happen quick, but if you are going from T to L, you have to be in front of that play. What if there was a pass to the post, are you going to officiate post play from beyond the 3 point arc?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then it's a 2-point try.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
we did pre-game it. It was my partner's responsibility to see it, but they did not see it and give me no signal.

What happens next? Play continues? I check scoreboard to see that only 2 points was added? Stop play? Caucus? Make sure that table only added 2?
When in doubt, read case book play 2.10.1SitG.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I understand that this play can happen quick, but if you are going from T to L, you have to be in front of that play. What if there was a pass to the post, are you going to officiate post play from beyond the 3 point arc?
He was going from L to T.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One play that has cropped up a couple of times for me that has caused me some grief is the fast break pull up 3 point shot. It has happened to me a couple of times...

I'm the Lead, down past the endline. Team A pass is stolen out near the 28 foot line by B1. Everybody on the court is now in transition, including me up the sideline. As I'm nearing the division line, B1 pulls up for a shot very near to 3-point line, directly between me and his basket.

I cannot see the front side of his shoe as it relates to the line. Both times that it has happened to me, my partner (who I am told is responsible for this call in this situation) has no indication for me. As I recall, they were looking elsewhere both times.

Anyways, shot is good! What the hell am I supposed to do? I do not know if this was a 3-point goal or not. One of the things on my pre-game audio that I listened to said, "Get the 3-point call right. Stop play if need be."

So, if I blow it dead I'm going to my partner. If he has nothing is there any way we can award 3 points? Can someone from the rest of our crew of officials help? Person running clock says "he was behind the line"?

Can we help a 1st year, Vanilla Ice lovin' brother out here?

Word.
1. If you don't know, the shot is worth only 2 points.
2. If I am in your position, I stop the game on the made goal and ask my partners for help. If none of them have it as a 3 for sure, it gets credited as a 2.
3. I'm not the least bit worried about looking unsure. I'm willing to put the ego aside in order to try to get the play right for the kids.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
He was going from L to T.
Good catch. That will teach me to multitask. Ignore my last post.