The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Because Of Officiating, I'm A Thousandaire ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
... how many other people have a avocation or hobby that actually gives them a positive cash flow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... a hobby that pays me money, as opposed to a hobby where I have to spend money
Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I always tell others that I am getting paid to exercise.
Amen. I wouldn't do it for free, but I'll keep doing it because it generates a positive cash flow, and I love doing it.

Oh, I almost forgot, I do it for the kids. Yeah, that's right, it's for the kids. Always for the kids.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Oct 02, 2017 at 06:16pm.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 06:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Look For The Black Helicopters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... do not report officiating income for tax purposes.
Worse than taking a knee?

bucky: You do realize that the Internal Revenue Service monitors this Forum all the time.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
With that perspective, Bucky, I'm surprised you referee.
He’s never posted anything that makes me think he is an official.

I don’t referee for the kids. And many times when I hear that phrase I can tell the person using it is being disingenuous (not you, Billy). I referee because I love to referee.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Worse than taking a knee?

bucky: You do realize that the Internal Revenue Service monitors this Forum all the time.
Most schools in South Carolina are going to ArbiterPay this year (finally), which is upsetting to officials who had previously just left any income they didn’t receive a 1099 for unreported (since it was common not to make $600/year from an entity when the schools/districts were paying us on their own). Because ArbiterPay will send 1099s based on the total amount paid, now those officials will have no choice but to (gasp) actually report their earnings.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
With that perspective, Bucky, I'm surprised you referee.
Slowly doing less. Tough to work certain levels/genders without falling asleep. Also, it has become so cliche. People say/do the dumbest things. It has become extremely predictable.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 11:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Blue Text ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
(not you, Billy).
I'm pleased that my message was understood without resorting to the "sarcastic blue text". As much as I enjoy officiating, and doing a good job for the coaches, players, fans, and my partners, I would never do it for free (except for Special Olympics Unified Sports, and that I really do officiate for the kids).

Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most schools in South Carolina are going to ArbiterPay this year (finally), which is upsetting to officials who had previously just left any income they didn’t receive a 1099 for unreported (since it was common not to make $600/year from an entity when the schools/districts were paying us on their own). Because ArbiterPay will send 1099s based on the total amount paid, now those officials will have no choice but to (gasp) actually report their earnings.
I report mine. It was amazing to watch/hear so many non-reporting officials complain about Arbiter doing that.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 11:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Death And Taxes ...

Quote:
... those officials will have no choice but to actually report their earnings.
Which I've been doing right along. Maybe I'm a chump, but I'm a patriotic chump.

Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Not sure I would consider time at the track better but whateves....
I think you misunderstood. It's a better who spends time at the track.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 07:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
If anyone is thinking of officiating for the money then they need to find another part time job. I officiate because I love the game, and I enjoy officiating. It's a hobby I get paid for. Are there downsides? Yeah, but that's true of anything.
You make much more officiating than you make working at McDonald's for example. I paid for my first car mostly with money from officiating. I tell guys in college that they can do better working games than they can most other jobs with their time they spend on other things.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 08:59am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You make much more officiating than you make working at McDonald's for example. I paid for my first car mostly with money from officiating. I tell guys in college that they can do better working games than they can most other jobs with their time they spend on other things.

Peace
You're right, most part-time jobs are not going to pay you around $70 for what amounts to maybe 3.5 hours of work (travel time, early arrival, and game time). Of course, that doesn't take into account the time we spend attending meetings, reading, paying dues, along with the money and time used to purchase uniform stuff.

To your point, my best friend's father put him through college using the money he made officiating. Of course, his father officiated four sports, and worked almost every night, to do so. But yes, there is money to be made doing what we do.

But I believe my point is still valid, as it is certainly possible to find a part-time job that is comparable in pay when you take into account all those extras I pointed out in the first paragraph. And that doesn't include the stress and crap we put up with compared to the guy working the drive thru at McDonald's, either (that's not to say they don't have any crap to deal with, but I believe on average we put up with more).

To you and me, the money we make is worth what we put into it. But I'm not going to tell somebody that simply wants to make a little extra money that officiating is a great way to do that. I'd rather be 100% honest about what it takes to truly succeed at what we do, and let that person decide if it's worth a try.

I'm sorry if what I'm saying dissuades anybody from officiating, as many places need more officials (especially good ones that are dedicated).
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 09:11am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If anyone is thinking of officiating for the money then they need to find another part time job. I officiate because I love the game, and I enjoy officiating. It's a hobby I get paid for. Are there downsides? Yeah, but that's true of anything.
I started officiated b/c I needed a part-time job to supplement my income 16 years ago. Every year by March I have all my credit card and Christmas bills paid done to zero.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think you misunderstood. It's a better who spends time at the track.
Actually funny and made for a good start to my day.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 09:19am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I started officiated b/c I needed a part-time job to supplement my income 16 years ago. Every year by March I have all my credit card and Christmas bills paid done to zero.
Unfortunately, not everybody is willing to put in the time, energy, and money into a part time job like you have. We see many new officials around here give it up after just one year.

Hell, it's true of most jobs. No one job is right for everybody.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone here. If anything, I feel that I'm giving props to people such as yourself that have dedicated so much of their time, energy, and money into officiating. Because there are plenty of people that would rather find something easy and less stressful to make extra money. And I'm not bashing them, either.

I stand by my statement that you shouldn't officiate simply for the money.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're right, most part-time jobs are not going to pay you around $70 for what amounts to maybe 3.5 hours of work (travel time, early arrival, and game time). Of course, that doesn't take into account the time we spend attending meetings, reading, paying dues, along with the money and time used to purchase uniform stuff.

To your point, my best friend's father put him through college using the money he made officiating. Of course, his father officiated four sports, and worked almost every night, to do so. But yes, there is money to be made doing what we do.

But I believe my point is still valid, as it is certainly possible to find a part-time job that is comparable in pay when you take into account all those extras I pointed out in the first paragraph. And that doesn't include the stress and crap we put up with compared to the guy working the drive thru at McDonald's, either (that's not to say they don't have any crap to deal with, but I believe on average we put up with more).

To you and me, the money we make is worth what we put into it. But I'm not going to tell somebody that simply wants to make a little extra money that officiating is a great way to do that. I'd rather be 100% honest about what it takes to truly succeed at what we do, and let that person decide if it's worth a try.

I'm sorry if what I'm saying dissuades anybody from officiating, as many places need more officials (especially good ones that are dedicated).
Bryan did a better job of saying essentially what I meant. A new official doesn't start making $70/game. I also do not believe one, initially, could make more money working at McDonald's, let alone "much more". Clearly McDonald's would provide more hours and thus more money. McDonald's, or similar job, provides room for advancement, resume building, S.S., education reimbursement, food(lol), and other perks that are more worthwhile than officiating. Not say officiating completely does not provide some of those things just not a par with a job. This is the way I might look at it: A teenager asks, "What should I do for income? Get a job, like McDonald's, or officiate basketball?" I know what my answer would be.

This is all presuming that the OP was young. If older and simply needs a "hobby" then my answer might be different.