The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New Referee Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102954-new-referee-basketball.html)

Chief_Khan Fri Sep 29, 2017 04:04pm

New Referee Basketball

Hello Everyone,

I'm in Queens NY and I was wondering the process of becoming a basketball referee and also I would like to know how you guys made time to ref games.

I contacted my local union and they stated they didn't have classes available to help train me ( they were filled to capacity).

1. I've been reading a downloaded copy of NFHS basketball rules. Do you think this is enough to help me pass the exam ?

2. Is the IAABO test the same as NFHS or is it different rules ?

3. Has anyone ever passed the test without taking the class ?

4. Do you recommend any other reading material or videos I can view to help me out ?

5. Does anyone have a IAABO book available for purchase or can i buy one from somewhere ?

I'm a very fast learner with a flexible schedule.

please let me know

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Sep 29, 2017 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_Khan (Post 1009507)
Hello Everyone,

I'm in Queens NY and I was wondering the process of becoming a basketball referee and also I would like to know how you guys made time to ref games.

I contacted my local union and they stated they didn't have classes available to help train me ( they were filled to capacity).

1. I've been reading a downloaded copy of NFHS basketball rules. Do you think this is enough to help me pass the exam ?

4. Do you recommend any other reading material or videos I can view to help me out ?

5. Does anyone have a IAABO book available for purchase or can i buy one from somewhere ?

please let me know

I am not sure what you mean by union. IAABO is made up of many Boards. I am sure there is a Board for Queens, NY. You can either go to IAABO.org or call IAABO National Headquarters at 717-713-8129. I would advise calling Donnie Epply at Headquarters and do not hesitate to use my name. I do know that there are Boards in Brooklyn (Bd. #37), Bronx-Manhattan (Bd. #42), and Queesns (Bd. #119).

As far as Boards in the U.S. are concerned the rules taught are NFHS. The exams are IAABO produced exams but the exams are still NFHS Rules. IABBO has written its own Mechanics Manual but it is very close to the NFHS Mechanics Manual with a few exceptions.

MTD, Sr.

Raymond Fri Sep 29, 2017 08:39pm

I'm going to focus on your "making time" question, because it is a very important in the process of determining if you really should get into officiating. You have to have a job where you can get off work or not working the hours when games are being played. Around here that meant I needed to be available for 4:00 and 5:30 JV games.

When I started officiating I was still active duty military but had a lot of freedom at work because I worked IT. I did have at least one game where I got there exactly at game time because I could not leave work due to mission requirements.

There's also the money that's involved in starting up. That's what turns off a lot of young guys who don't have a lot of disposable income.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just alerting you to be sure to take those things into consideration.

I was able to do it even though I had a full-time military job, and I had 9 and 2 1/2 year-old boys, so I had to schedule my closed out dates around my custody schedule, which was 50/50.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

crosscountry55 Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:59pm

Agree with BNR (as he was formerly known....not sure why that changed). First of all, I hope you're not too late for this year, but you're probably a little late to the party for the 17-18 season at least at the scholastic level (particularly high school). But there is almost always a need for recreational and weekend junior ball officials, and though the pay isn't fantastic, it can be a great way to get experience.

If you can break into school ball this winter, time flexibility to deal with traffic and get to game sites in the 4pm-ish timeframe will help you move up faster. Not to say you can't move up otherwise, but you'll have fewer game opportunities which might translate to slower development and advancement. Of course there's no substitute for raw talent; if you end up possessing it and you work for an assignor who values ability over seniority (all should, but sadly many don't), then advancing might happen faster.

BNR mentioned the upfront investment (equipment, fees, association dues, etc.). Take it from all of us....it's worth it. Even with a stable rec/youth schedule, you'll get your investment back at least four- or five-fold. School games = even more. Plus I hear parts of the NYC area grant some of the highest game fees in America, so you have that going for you.

Thanks for your interest and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1009511)
Agree with BNR (as he was formerly known....not sure why that changed). First of all, I hope you're not too late for this year, but you're probably a little late to the party for the 17-18 season at least at the scholastic level (particularly high school).

That varies heavily by area....we're still wide open in Oregon and will take rookies well into November.

bucky Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:43am

Quote:

Hello Everyone,

please let me know

I'll heavily suggest not officiating unless it is and will be your sole source of income. The negatives outweigh the positives unless....you are making tons of money. I presume that everyone else will disagree with me.

Again, I suggest forgetting all about it. Consider doing something that is simply.....better.

Raymond Sat Sep 30, 2017 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1009513)
I'll heavily suggest not officiating unless it is and will be your sole source of income. The negatives outweigh the positives unless....you are making tons of money. I presume that everyone else will disagree with me.

Again, I suggest forgetting all about it. Consider doing something that is simply.....better.

Officiating as a sole source of income is usually relegated to those who work in the NBA or a full-time D1 schedule.

A vast majority of people do it for supplementary income. I sincerely do not understand the logic of your post.

Scrapper1 Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:42am

Quote:

I'll heavily suggest not officiating unless it is and will be your sole source of income.

This is possibly the worst advice for a new official that I've ever seen in print. :confused:

BillyMac Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:21am

Good Advice ???

Quote:

I'll heavily suggest not officiating unless it is and will be your sole source of income.

Since officiating is not my sole source of income, I guess that I'll give it up. Thirty-seven years of my life down the drain. What a total waste of my time.

Camron Rust Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1009514)
Officiating as a sole source of income is usually relegated to those who work in the NBA or a full-time D1 schedule.

A vast majority of people do it for supplementary income. I sincerely do not understand the logic of your post.

Sarcasm?

JRutledge Sat Sep 30, 2017 02:49pm

Quote:

Hello Everyone,

I'm in sales and that usually helps me make my own schedule.

Quote:

Depends on the kind of learner you are. I would suggest that you pick up the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook and probably the Rules By Topic Book as well that put many rules and case plays into context. This is really helpful to guys that never have read a rulebook or understand its structure. Hard to read alone unless it is put out for you to understand.

Quote:

I have no idea, not in a place that takes either.

Quote:

We did not have classes when I started. But our test was an open book test and you could look up the rules in the rulebook and casebook.

Quote:

I gave two, but NASO/Referee Magazine has many things that you can buy. I would suggest you invest in yourself and probably pick up many things that might help. the IAABO videos are great. Some of the books are great. It is just a matter of how much money you want to invest. But think of it as, "How many games it will take to pay for my investment."

Peace

Quote:

Adam Sat Sep 30, 2017 06:46pm

Quote:

Uhm, what?

Chief_Khan Sun Oct 01, 2017 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1009510)
I'm going to focus on your "making time" question, because it is a very important in the process of determining if you really should get into officiating. You have to have a job where you can get off work or not working the hours when games are being played. Around here that meant I needed to be available for 4:00 and 5:30 JV games.

When I started officiating I was still active duty military but had a lot of freedom at work because I worked IT. I did have at least one game where I got there exactly at game time because I could not leave work due to mission requirements.

There's also the money that's involved in starting up. That's what turns off a lot of young guys who don't have a lot of disposable income.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just alerting you to be sure to take those things into consideration.

I was able to do it even though I had a full-time military job, and I had 9 and 2 1/2 year-old boys, so I had to schedule my closed out dates around my custody schedule, which was 50/50.

Thank you for your response. Would you mind going me a small sample of how much extra money might be able to take home monthly during the season.

I just told management that I'm thinking about being a ref and they said they are more than willing to help. My job offers unlimited overtime but a change in atomosphere wouldn't be a bad thing.

Chief_Khan Sun Oct 01, 2017 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1009519)
I'm in sales and that usually helps me make my own schedule.

Depends on the kind of learner you are. I would suggest that you pick up the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook and probably the Rules By Topic Book as well that put many rules and case plays into context. This is really helpful to guys that never have read a rulebook or understand its structure. Hard to read alone unless it is put out for you to understand.

I have no idea, not in a place that takes either.

We did not have classes when I started. But our test was an open book test and you could look up the rules in the rulebook and casebook.

I gave two, but NASO/Referee Magazine has many things that you can buy. I would suggest you invest in yourself and probably pick up many things that might help. the IAABO videos are great. Some of the books are great. It is just a matter of how much money you want to invest. But think of it as, "How many games it will take to pay for my investment."

Peace

Thanks today I ordered two books and I will ordered some videos later on tonight.

Does anyone know where I can get the IAABO book? I'm more than willing to pay.

bucky Mon Oct 02, 2017 02:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1009517)
Since officiating is not my sole source of income, I guess that I'll give it up. Thirty-seven years of my life down the drain. What a total waste of my time.

Not a waste but....

Imagine what you could have accomplished with those 37 years doing something.... better.