View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 29, 2017, 05:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Khan View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm in Queens NY and I was wondering the process of becoming a basketball referee and also I would like to know how you guys made time to ref games.

I contacted my local union and they stated they didn't have classes available to help train me ( they were filled to capacity).

1. I've been reading a downloaded copy of NFHS basketball rules. Do you think this is enough to help me pass the exam ?

2. Is the IAABO test the same as NFHS or is it different rules ?

3. Has anyone ever passed the test without taking the class ?

4. Do you recommend any other reading material or videos I can view to help me out ?

5. Does anyone have a IAABO book available for purchase or can i buy one from somewhere ?

I'm a very fast learner with a flexible schedule.

please let me know

I am not sure what you mean by union. IAABO is made up of many Boards. I am sure there is a Board for Queens, NY. You can either go to IAABO.org or call IAABO National Headquarters at 717-713-8129. I would advise calling Donnie Epply at Headquarters and do not hesitate to use my name. I do know that there are Boards in Brooklyn (Bd. #37), Bronx-Manhattan (Bd. #42), and Queesns (Bd. #119).

As far as Boards in the U.S. are concerned the rules taught are NFHS. The exams are IAABO produced exams but the exams are still NFHS Rules. IABBO has written its own Mechanics Manual but it is very close to the NFHS Mechanics Manual with a few exceptions.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Sep 29, 2017 at 09:02pm. Reason: Corrected typo.