The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not going to fault the other two crew members for not walking off the court with the female. This was obviously a prestigious camp that they paid a lot of money to be at, and if the clinicians tell you to work, you work. Now, whether the clinicians should have pulled their other guys off and stood up more fervently to the money-hungry organizers, that's a different argument.

But if I'm on this crew there is ZERO chance I stay on the court. Zero.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
2. Having been in a camp with a similar situation (they replaced all 3 of us at the coach's request), I would've left the game if they chose to pull one. I was furious when we were removed and the clinician said "Well, I don't know why y'all were changed, they just asked us to do it". No way in hell I'd let the management run-off a partner on the orders of a coach.
Classic example of clinicians wanting to make sure they get to come back the next year and collect another check rather than having the balls to put their foot down.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Classic example of clinicians wanting to make sure they get to come back the next year and collect another check rather than having the balls to put their foot down.
This ^^
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 10:29pm
The Whistle of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
being good partners would've meant walking off with that female official.
+1
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 12:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is the story that I saw. The guy stole my Cry Baby line from a few days ago with his #BigCryBaby. I still like BigBawler!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-b...160917511.html

For the record, I have officiated the LV BigTime and the Adidas Super64 in the past. These tourneys change names over the years, but it's still the same deal. These are AAU events in Vegas with the top HS players held during one of the sanctioned NCAA evaluation period for all the major college coaches.
The level of play is darn good. Some of the coaches, players, and fans can be a challenge to handle. Personally, I had a few Ts, but no ejections over the years. Although, I witnessed a few warranted ejections.
I've done these games in both a camp situation as well as non-camp for pay.
I do think that it is difficult for the female officials in the camp situations to be put into these games because the vast majority of them work girls HS or women's JC/D2 and don't see the athleticism or level of physical contact that these boys exhibit. I've seen several coaches and players become frustrated with whistles that are tighter than what they are accustomed to having, but never had anyone be a complete @ss about it.
Btw the reverse is true for me. When I'm asked to work a GV/BV HS double-header, I have to make a conscious effort to evaluate contact at an appropriate level for the girls contest. I have made the mistake of letting GV games be too physical and had some unhappy coaches/players.
I call advantage / disadvantage. I don't call every bump as some girls officials do. Couldn't care less if coaches and players are unhappy.

She's a D1 official. She can work a game like this 7 days a week.

The whole thing is shameful. At the camp where I was a clinician this past weekend, a coach like this would've been sent home.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 12:21am
AremRed

Part III: The Saga Continues

Two women part of referee crew in Big Baller Brand game at Adidas Uprising Summer Championships
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 01:34am
AremRed

Found video of the first game mentioned in the article, refereed by the D1 lady.

Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 02:12am
AremRed

Watched a few mins of the video. Noticed some things I think ppl can learn from:

0:50, as the administering referee you HAVE to catch the players on the right that have crossed legs. This is also U2's responsibility. Hitting the whistle and coming in as U2 is totally acceptable and important for starting the game off the right way. R should have caught it first though.

1:10, two possessions in and we already have an official bailing on the rebounding action. Rebounding action is best officiated from Slot and Trail who have the best angles. Trail has to stay engaged to the rebounding action instead of bailing the other way to cover the 1 player leaking out. First responsibility is rebounding, then get where you need to be to referee fast break.

1:10, INC Slot. Blue #3 holds his opponent across the arm while contesting for the rebounding. Slot has the A look at this play, Trail has the B look (but he bailed and can't help). This miss then results in Lead having an IC on the player who got fouled! Need to be strong from Slot and come get this play to help out your Lead.

2:16, INC Trail. Extremely tough play to detect, and thus not downgrading the crew for missing this. Blue #10 clamps his opponent's arm restricting his ability to jump. Lead has no look, Slot has no look, Trail could have taken a step away from the sideline towards the middle of the court to have the A look and referee where his partners can't.

3:17, INC Trail. It's early in the game, could have gotten some easy rebounding cleanup fouls here on either player. They get one chance at contesting the rebound, if they want to camp there and keep swiping it's any easy foul to get and will clean up your game. Trail calls one late as the player breaks the pressure but should have gotten one earlier IMO.

3:48 and 3:56, CNC crew. Excellent job officiating the defense and refereeing offense initiated contact. I see a lot of fouls called on this type of play, especially from Trail where it looks most ugly. And good job matching up similar-ish plays on back to back plays. In the 2nd play the defender wasn't legal but offense initiated the contact which was incidental.

4:43, not the way to come give information. I would have liked an armbar foul on #4 blue during the full-court drive but a no call here is standard for this type of game. Given no foul call from Slot, Lead correctly had the ball last touching the offensive player. Then Slot decides to come (halfway) with information changing the call. This looks terrible. First off, he's wrong. Second, he only goes halfway instead of going all the way to his partner. Third, it is early in the game and everyone accepted the call with minimal protestation. Not the time to waste a correction IMO, unless extremely obvious which this was not. If no one is asking for a change, don't go. Corrections are for those plays that EVERYONE knows are wrong. And by the time the correction is made all the players are on the other end of the court. Looks bad.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I call advantage / disadvantage. I don't call every bump as some girls officials do. Couldn't care less if coaches and players are unhappy.

She's a D1 official. She can work a game like this 7 days a week.

The whole thing is shameful. At the camp where I was a clinician this past weekend, a coach like this would've been sent home.
I watched the first 8 minutes of the contest to which another poster provided the video below. I thought that she was doing a nice job. The couple of things which I would criticize were both done by her male crew members.

In fact, she makes a crew saving call for the first FTs of the game as C after a goofy rotation situation with a steal on the other end leads to a 1v1 run-out while the crew is poorly positioned.

After that I didn't need to see any more. Lavar is a fool.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Watched a few mins of the video. Noticed some things I think ppl can learn from:

0:50, as the administering referee you HAVE to catch the players on the right that have crossed legs. This is also U2's responsibility. Hitting the whistle and coming in as U2 is totally acceptable and important for starting the game off the right way. R should have caught it first though.

...snipped...

4:43, not the way to come give information. I would have liked an armbar foul on #4 blue during the full-court drive but a no call here is standard for this type of game. Given no foul call from Slot, Lead correctly had the ball last touching the offensive player. Then Slot decides to come (halfway) with information changing the call. This looks terrible. First off, he's wrong. Second, he only goes halfway instead of going all the way to his partner. Third, it is early in the game and everyone accepted the call with minimal protestation. Not the time to waste a correction IMO, unless extremely obvious which this was not. If no one is asking for a change, don't go. Corrections are for those plays that EVERYONE knows are wrong. And by the time the correction is made all the players are on the other end of the court. Looks bad.
I don't agree with your first comment as the players look to be more than three feet away from the center circle to me. They are therefore in legal positions.
I agree 100% with your critique about changing the OOB call. It was incorrect and done poorly.

Lastly, did you notice that the floor was basically an NBA court with the HS 3pt line added? They did not alter the NBA FT lane width.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

LaVar Ball Gets Ref Replaced Mid-Game After She Gave Him Technical | Bleacher Report

Why anyone would want to officiate this blovated bovines games are beyond me.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Probably not the politically correct thing to say, but I'd love to have this a*shole in a real high school game. He wouldn't make it longer than five minutes on my court.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Probably not the politically correct thing to say, but I'd love to have this a*shole in a real high school game. He wouldn't make it longer than five minutes on my court.
I agree. But the real ones to blame are the spineless organizers. Big problem with society is lack of spines. This sets an awful precedent. I have refused to work specific tournaments because of who is organizing or assigning, and I have left mid game when tourney organizers do shit ass stupid things like this. Officials, as a whole, preach to do the right thing and take care of business, except often times when it comes to how they handle their own "business".
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I agree. But the real ones to blame are the spineless organizers. Big problem with society is lack of spines. This sets an awful precedent. I have refused to work specific tournaments because of who is organizing or assigning, and I have left mid game when tourney organizers do shit ass stupid things like this. Officials, as a whole, preach to do the right thing and take care of business, except often times when it comes to how they handle their own "business".
Agreed 100%. And the few that do the right thing by sticking up for themselves and/or their partners are accused (often by other officials) of "making it about themselves" or not "doing it for the kids" or some other ridiculous holier-than-thou accusation. Officials like that that are willing to sell their souls to greedy organizers for a trivial amount of pocket change make it hard on those of us that actually have spines.
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Female official works LaVar Ball AAU game in solidarity with removed official

even more of this shithead