The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
AAU has become slang for most non-scholastic off-season games such as this tournament was.
That is very true because teams that play AAU do not only play in actual AAU tournaments. Which is why you have some different rules or different standards for who is playing in the tournaments.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
And the President would stop tweeting if we all stopped listening to the media talk about his tweets.

In other words, good theoretical advice, but not realistic.

Lavar is here to stay in our lives until he or someone in his family has a complete meltdown or fall from grace. That's why we pay attention.....because it's inevitable and deep down inside, we all want to witness it when it happens.

He maybe in your life. He's not in mine. I don't read anything he says. I don't watch him. I didn't even look at this video. So, it's a choice.

I've made mine.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 08:51pm.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Yes really. It may not be the norm, but it happens. Just last summer I went to a required camp for the SCHSL. One of the first things the head clinician said was "they don't want us to eject coaches." He told us just to keep calling technical fouls until the coach shuts up. Well, in my second game we have a PITA coach who gets a T. I go over and remind him that he has to sit by rule (we were never told there was no seatbelt rule for the camp). He keeps refusing, so I whack him, and then out of nowhere one of the camp directors chews my ass and tells me to rescind it. The head clinician doesn't back me up; in front of the entire gym he spinelessly tells me to "do what he said." We get through the game and I tell the clinician to give me my money back if he doesn't want me to be there. He somewhat apologized and took responsibility, but I will never go back to his camp and tell officials that story whenever they ask me about my review of the camp.

I'm paying money to be there. I'm not going to subject myself to that BS. Again, certainly not the norm for camps, but it absolutely happens.
WOW

Can't believe you are in the state pen for killing someone after that experience.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
WOW

Can't believe you are in the state pen for killing someone after that experience.
A bad experience and one I share with other people, but not something that's ever kept me up at night. When we cross paths I'm cordial.

Ironically, the rumor was that the camp was a train wreck this summer.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Like you are doing right now?
Exactly. I don't read what this idiot says, I don't watch what he does. Encouraging others to do the same.

If you can't see the difference, perhaps you're no smarter than he is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 11:56pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Exactly. I don't read what this idiot says, I don't watch what he does. Encouraging others to do the same.

If you can't see the difference, perhaps you're no smarter than he is.
Perhaps I'm not
Old Thu Jul 27, 2017, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Perhaps I'm not
While he said all of this while commenting on something he does not pay attention to. I would take it for what it is worth. Most basketball or sports fans know when certain things are going on outside the game on some level. It does not mean you are obsessed with the topic.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 01:45pm
AremRed

New situation today: Female referee removed after LaVar Ball threatens to pull his AAU team off court

Apparently the Court Club Camp is running in Vegas and one of the campers whacked LaVar and he forced her to get removed. I'm surprised Ed didn't pull all his refs off the floor for the tournament bending to that shit. And then he got whacked by the replacement guy! That's being a good partner right there.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
New situation today: Female referee removed after LaVar Ball threatens to pull his AAU team off court

Apparently the Court Club Camp is running in Vegas and one of the campers whacked LaVar and he forced her to get removed. I'm surprised Ed didn't pull all his refs off the floor for the tournament bending to that shit. And then he got whacked by the replacement guy! That's being a good partner right there.
This is the story that I saw. The guy stole my Cry Baby line from a few days ago with his #BigCryBaby. I still like BigBawler!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-b...160917511.html

For the record, I have officiated the LV BigTime and the Adidas Super64 in the past. These tourneys change names over the years, but it's still the same deal. These are AAU events in Vegas with the top HS players held during one of the sanctioned NCAA evaluation period for all the major college coaches.
The level of play is darn good. Some of the coaches, players, and fans can be a challenge to handle. Personally, I had a few Ts, but no ejections over the years. Although, I witnessed a few warranted ejections.
I've done these games in both a camp situation as well as non-camp for pay.
I do think that it is difficult for the female officials in the camp situations to be put into these games because the vast majority of them work girls HS or women's JC/D2 and don't see the athleticism or level of physical contact that these boys exhibit. I've seen several coaches and players become frustrated with whistles that are tighter than what they are accustomed to having, but never had anyone be a complete @ss about it.
Btw the reverse is true for me. When I'm asked to work a GV/BV HS double-header, I have to make a conscious effort to evaluate contact at an appropriate level for the girls contest. I have made the mistake of letting GV games be too physical and had some unhappy coaches/players.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Decided to post the last few paragraphs of the article for everyone on the forum.
The word is getting out that Lavar is the problem.
=================

"It’s unclear if Ball’s complaints are valid, or if they’re completely unfounded. But his history suggests that most of the fault here lies with him, and not the referee. Plus, even if the game was officiated poorly, it doesn’t at all excuse his behavior.

Last weekend, the Big Ballers forfeited a game they were winning in the second half when LaVar forced his players to pack up their bags in the middle of the game and leave the gym.

On Friday, he halted a game and forced Adidas — a massive company with control of this entire AAU event — to give into his demands and replace a referee in the middle of a game. That’s unheard of it. And it’s ridiculous.

Why any kid would want to play for LaVar’s AAU team is a mystery. It’s clearly not helping their development as basketball players. And they can’t enjoy having their games ruined by a coach who can’t keep his mouth shut. Whether there is any fallout from this mess remains to be seen."
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 03:33pm
AremRed

The plot thickens. 100 bucks says Ed Rush is the "source".

Adidas officials pressure referees to avoid calling technical fouls on LaVar Ball
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

I have two questions about the other game officials: (1) Typically, after a technical foul is called, the calling official will go report the foul and get out of the way so that if a coach (or player) does something that warrants a second technical foul, it is not the same official who is forced to call it. Here, the calling official did that and a different official came over to deal with Ball. The second official seems very patient and is motioning for Ball to head to his bench and have a seat. My question is: given Ball's conduct *after* the first technical was called, do others think Ball deserved a second T? (I recognize that, later in that game, Ball did get a second T - I'm just asking about what is on video in the immediate aftermath of the first call.) (2) I'd like to believe that if I was on the crew with the woman who called the technical, I'd have told the organizers that whether to replace the officiating crew is their call, but they would have to replace the entire crew and not just one official. Do others agree/disagree?
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

1. I'm guessing he wanted to keep him there at the request of Adidas. When he pointed at the new Lead and kept going I think the C should've hit him again. However I don't disagree with trying to talk him down as the standard "Not now" coach isn't going to work with him.

2. Having been in a camp with a similar situation (they replaced all 3 of us at the coach's request), I would've left the game if they chose to pull one. I was furious when we were removed and the clinician said "Well, I don't know why y'all were changed, they just asked us to do it". No way in hell I'd let the management run-off a partner on the orders of a coach.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 05:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Being good partners would've meant walking off with that female official.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 05:06pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtg19 View Post
I have two questions about the other game officials: (1) Typically, after a technical foul is called, the calling official will go report the foul and get out of the way so that if a coach (or player) does something that warrants a second technical foul, it is not the same official who is forced to call it. Here, the calling official did that and a different official came over to deal with Ball. The second official seems very patient and is motioning for Ball to head to his bench and have a seat. My question is: given Ball's conduct *after* the first technical was called, do others think Ball deserved a second T? (I recognize that, later in that game, Ball did get a second T - I'm just asking about what is on video in the immediate aftermath of the first call.) (2) I'd like to believe that if I was on the crew with the woman who called the technical, I'd have told the organizers that whether to replace the officiating crew is their call, but they would have to replace the entire crew and not just one official. Do others agree/disagree?
If this is a legit game where I know my decisions will be enforced by game administration I am hitting the coach about 5 seconds after the first tech. Coach CANNOT be on the floor walking around after receiving a technical foul.