The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Last Night

I see the original thread was deleted. That is fine. It just seems like that is an overreaction to peoples opinions, but rules are rules on this board.

Speaking for myself, the plays that I was complaining about seem to be legit plays that need to be talked about.

Is the thread deleted because you don't want ANY official to be criticized or is it because you know the guys and are sticking up for them? I want to make sure that I am clear on the rules and don't break any in the future. This is a fun board to participate on.

I feel that we get better by discussing plays and things we do wrong. I've had plenty of bad nights myself. Talking about the game last night and plays that were clearly called incorrectly will make everybody better. As long as nobody is getting too personal and going over the top, what's the harm? Is it so wrong to complain about last night and to point out that last night wasn't the best officiated game ever?

I'm sorry if anybody is angry, and clearly one or more of the mods didn't like some of the posts, but I think an honest discussion of the game doesn't hurt anybody.

Am I in the minority on this? Thank you in advance for the clarification!
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:15am
Courageous When Prudent

If you are going to discuss Flagrant 1 fouls, at least know the rule before saying the officials interjected themselves.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If you are going to discuss Flagrant 1 fouls, at least know the rule before saying the officials interjected themselves.
I would like to think I know the rule pretty well. Maybe I don't as I'm not a D1 official. Every time a flagrant is called, they put the rules on the screen on TV. If you want to go to the letter of the law, fine, call it. As we all know, you don't always officiate to the letter of the law/rule book and judgment comes into play. Sorry, I disagree with last night's flagrant ruling.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
I am sorry. I didn't think it was "bashing". I think it is a legitimate observation and should be talked about. Maybe I could have chosen different words to describe my perception of the game. I think guys could learn from what they seen last night. Discussing plays is okay, I think. Maybe it is too taboo on this site, but discussing game management should be equally as important. In this case there is no getting around being critical of the crew last night. But I digress, this is all I will say about the situation.
Do you have specific plays and how you would have handled them differently?
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I would like to think I know the rule pretty well. Maybe I don't as I'm not a D1 official. Every time a flagrant is called, they put the rules on the screen on TV. If you want to go to the letter of the law, fine, call it. As we all know, you don't always officiate to the letter of the law/rule book and judgment comes into play. Sorry, I disagree with last night's flagrant ruling.
I don't let shots to the neck or face go unpunished. Doesn't matter if it was unintentional, most fouls are unintentional. We call fouls when someone accidentally shoves someone for a rebound or accidentally hits the shooter's arm, so why wouldn't we call a foul when someone accidentally grabs someone's face or neck?
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you have specific plays and how you would have handled them differently?
Not directed at me, but I will jump in and answer.

12:15 to go in 2nd half. Williams-Goss drives, takes 4 steps, and initiates all the contact on Pinson. The foul was called on Pinson. Why? Travel should have been called at step 3 if not step 4.

About :50 to go in the game. Meeks gets on the ground for the loose ball. His whole hand is out of bounds while ball is on his legs. Ref is right there. No call. Why?
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't let shots to the neck or face go unpunished. Doesn't matter if it was unintentional, most fouls are unintentional. We call fouls when someone accidentally shoves someone for a rebound or accidentally hits the shooter's arm, so why wouldn't we call a foul when someone accidentally grabs someone's face or neck?
That was very light contact on the face. I just don't think it was worthy of a Flagrant 1.

You call ALL contact to the neck and face as fouls or flagrants? I don't agree with that line of thinking.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:52am
The old new guy

The original post was mine. I did not post it to bash any of the officials. It was simply for discussing the issues that were being complained about as I was not in agreement with the article. Sorry if these things shouldn't be posted. My mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:54am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardmason View Post
The original post was mine. I did not post it to bash any of the officials. It was simply for discussing the issues that were being complained about as I was not in agreement with the article. Sorry if these things shouldn't be posted. My mistake.
You were fine. The thread fell apart (in my opinion) after.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 09:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This is the last I'm going to say about it.

Saying they missed a travel is discussing a play.
Saying "that was pretty poor last night" is criticizing the crew.

Saying they missed the OOB call is discussing a play.
Saying "That was bad, inconsistent officiating last night" is criticizing the crew.

My comments on the use of "ticky-tack" were not from a moderator perspective, so they should have been included in a different post. I stand by the opinion, but it's a separate issue.

While I appreciate your opinion, this part of the public discussion is over. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Final note: I'm open to further discussing this privately, but not in public. Keep the discussion about the plays.

Last edited by Adam; Tue Apr 04, 2017 at 10:01am. Reason: clarification
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 10:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
That was very light contact on the face. I just don't think it was worthy of a Flagrant 1.

You call ALL contact to the neck and face as fouls or flagrants? I don't agree with that line of thinking.
I think you need to look at the play again. He grabbed Berry's neck.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
This is the last I'm going to say about it.

Saying they missed a travel is discussing a play.
Saying "that was pretty poor last night" is criticizing the crew.

Saying they missed the OOB call is discussing a play.
Saying "That was bad, inconsistent officiating last night" is criticizing the crew.

My comments on the use of "ticky-tack" were not from a moderator perspective, so they should have been included in a different post. I stand by the opinion, but it's a separate issue.

While I appreciate your opinion, this part of the public discussion is over. Feel free to PM me if you want.

Final note: I'm open to further discussing this privately, but not in public. Keep the discussion about the plays.
One main reason I love this forum is we show plays and we have different opinions on how it should have been officiated.

I will never do a final or 1k college mens games. I cant say that I understand what they are calling or not calling and cant judge it.

I can look at plays and think how I would call similar situations.

On that note I dont want to hear your opinion about the crew last night especially if its negative. I want to come here and hear your thoughts on why you would officiating plays differently.

If the highly paid Adam says its getting too negative then it is. And you should listen or leave the forum. It isnt helping anyone. Clearly you can PM him so we can get back to discussing plays.

Thanks!
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Hand out of bounds

Late in the game a North Carolina player was touching the end line at the same time his hand was on the ball. Should this have been called and Gonzaga awarded the ball?

Last edited by wjc3; Tue Apr 04, 2017 at 02:51pm.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc3 View Post
Late in the game a North Carolina player was touching the ball at the same time his hand was on the ball. Should this have been called and Gonzaga awarded the ball?
Yes.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2017, 06:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Accidental And Incidental ...

Quote:
I don't let shots to the neck or face go unpunished. Doesn't matter if it was unintentional, most fouls are unintentional.
Saw one of my friends, a veteran, highly regarded, official, work a state tournament quarterfinal game. As a defender was reaching out to size up the opponent point guard, the defender accidentally brushed a few fingers across the point guards face. A split second went by (cue crickets). Point guard puts her hand up to her eye that was accidentally poked, in obvious pain. Only then came the whistle for the foul. I asked my friend about it afterward. He admitted that, at first, he was going to pass on the play as incidental contact, until he saw that the point guard was in pain. An advantage was certainly gained in that situation. Accidental and incidental don't mean the same thing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 04, 2017 at 06:48pm.