The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Fun Night

Last night BV with a new official in our area. He's a new teacher in the school where I work. He's 23 and looks about 16. A good game with well matched opponents. 2-3 point game.

Anyway - as we sign book - scorekeeper asks how old he is and can't believe he is doing this varsity game. (His dad, brothers, uncles, sister are all very good varsity/Juco officials and he started youth stuff when he was in 8th grade - has done varsity at some of the largest schools in state while in college)

And so the coaches see this young guy and start to work him almost immediately. He calls a great game! But they are still working him hard. Not getting mean or personal or harping about a call - but about nearly every whistle he makes. With me - not a word. He handles it very well and good naturedly. Finally at one point a coach is talking his ear off at end of a TO and Bob asks him why he doesn't have anything to say to me.

Coach: "we know him and know what he is going to say and do - but you are unkown to us and we have to find out." He then continues on about some point or call he wanted. Bob smiles ....... nods .......... shakes his head, and then almost from the tips of h is shoes with one hand, and top of his reach with the other starts making a HUGE motion like he has just Whacked the guy big time. Coach's face looks a little white and deer in headlights look with such a close game. He really hadn't been that bad. Bob's hands come together, he whistles, picks ball up from floor between his feet - gives it to inbounder and the whole gym - now suddenly quiet hears, "Gotcha!"

Coach is busting a gut. Other coach as well. He never heard another word the rest of the night. As we are leaving - coach says, "well, now we know you too!"
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Last night BV with a new official in our area. He's a new teacher in the school where I work. He's 23 and looks about 16. A good game with well matched opponents. 2-3 point game.

Anyway - as we sign book - scorekeeper asks how old he is and can't believe he is doing this varsity game. (His dad, brothers, uncles, sister are all very good varsity/Juco officials and he started youth stuff when he was in 8th grade - has done varsity at some of the largest schools in state while in college)

And so the coaches see this young guy and start to work him almost immediately. He calls a great game! But they are still working him hard. Not getting mean or personal or harping about a call - but about nearly every whistle he makes. With me - not a word. He handles it very well and good naturedly. Finally at one point a coach is talking his ear off at end of a TO and Bob asks him why he doesn't have anything to say to me.

Coach: "we know him and know what he is going to say and do - but you are unkown to us and we have to find out." He then continues on about some point or call he wanted. Bob smiles ....... nods .......... shakes his head, and then almost from the tips of h is shoes with one hand, and top of his reach with the other starts making a HUGE motion like he has just Whacked the guy big time. Coach's face looks a little white and deer in headlights look with such a close game. He really hadn't been that bad. Bob's hands come together, he whistles, picks ball up from floor between his feet - gives it to inbounder and the whole gym - now suddenly quiet hears, "Gotcha!"

Coach is busting a gut. Other coach as well. He never heard another word the rest of the night. As we are leaving - coach says, "well, now we know you too!"
Haha great story. I'm 18 and have gotten some from coaches because of being a young official.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Man, I love hearing these kinds of stories.