The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 03, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Kansas Ref -

Viagara commercials have some of the most beautiful women in their mid 40's in their commercials. And you are watching the commercial and commenting on her jersey number.......C'Mon brother!!!!!!
Old Mon Apr 03, 2017, 10:51pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have any brand suggestions for black shorts? I'd like the guys to wear the same and I like the UA, but was wondering about other brands.
I used to spring for Nike shorts, but picked up a couple pairs of Russell Athletic shorts at Walmart before a camp last year and they have become my favorite. The Nike ones are quite poofy whereas the Russell Athletics shorts have a slimmer, more athletic cut.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
you are taking this WAY too seriously and looking to show who's in charge with controlling what volunteer officials wear.
You CAN NOT be serious. First of all, I do leadership training and consulting. I work with leaders and directors of all kinds of organizations. Even a few CEOs. One of the first things people who take my training courses learn is what leadership is not -- it is not about showing who's in charge. So I basically spit out my drink when I read your comment. It is like you trying to tell Roy Williams what mistakes he is making in recruiting. OK, OK maybe I'm not quite at the level in my profession that he is in his, but the comparison is still at least somewhat accurate. Feel silly yet? If not, keep reading. [OK, that comment was a little snotty; ignore!]

Second, my concerns are based on what was actually being worn. One guy was wearing a shirt with a collar. Shorts are all over the place. I don't think anyone has ever told these guys to do anything other than when to show up and wear something like a shirt and shorts -- so it isn't like they're married to their wardrobe. They have no idea there are better, more professional looking, products out there. I'm simply going to say something like, "hey guys, let's look a little more professional; here's a good quality shirt and a good brand of shorts if you are looking for suggestions." And yes, I'd be happy to give or buy the guys a shirt and some shorts if for whatever reason they won't get them themselves. If you were doing this league and a guy wanted to wear his old football knickers, would you let him? What about a rock concert t-shirt? Something inappropriate at a church (where this league is being played)? If you want to call clothing suggestions micro-managing, fine, but where does it start and stop?

Finally, this is one reason why I don't come on this forum much -- I wasn't really looking for advice, or for that matter input, on ANYTHING other than a brand of a pair of shorts. [AremRed -- thank you for your suggestions]

I asked because some of you do summer and rec leagues and wear brands that I may not be familiar with. Asking a question like, "are you sure you want to go to this level with volunteers..." may have been reasonable, but making accusations or trying to lecture me based on YOUR inaccurate assumptions is not. Yeah, I probably sound a little defensive (and I apologize for that) but each one on here SHOULD know better. You're criticizing a colleague without getting the entire story. Hell, you hardly have ANY of the story. Tell me with a straight face you'd want me doing that to you -- especially on something you didn't ask for any input on.

If you really believed that your comments to me were something I needed to take to heart, you need to do the same here. Right??

Oh, and one more thing (if you're still reading): if I do take this over, these guys are going to show up on a Saturday morning to a room with towels, a couple of coolers full of water/sports drinks/sodas and an assortment of breakfast foods. I don't know what as of now, but by the end of the league, they will get a very nice gift. I will ask the league for SOME of this in the budget but I suspect I will cover most of it myself. I also have some contacts with some name recognition who I can probably get to write each of them a glowing letter of appreciation. Like a men's Div. 1 head coach. I'll try to do something like that. All that for getting MAYBE 1 or 2 small items of clothing that I don't think any of them will have a problem with anyway.

I will ask them at the end of the league if I took this WAY too seriously.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You CAN NOT be serious. First of all, I do leadership training and consulting. I work with leaders and directors of all kinds of organizations. Even a few CEOs. One of the first things people who take my training courses learn is what leadership is not -- it is not about showing who's in charge. So I basically spit out my drink when I read your comment. It is like you trying to tell Roy Williams what mistakes he is making in recruiting. OK, OK maybe I'm not quite at the level in my profession that he is in his, but the comparison is still at least somewhat accurate. Feel silly yet? If not, keep reading. [OK, that comment was a little snotty; ignore!]

Second, my concerns are based on what was actually being worn. One guy was wearing a shirt with a collar. Shorts are all over the place. I don't think anyone has ever told these guys to do anything other than when to show up and wear something like a shirt and shorts -- so it isn't like they're married to their wardrobe. They have no idea there are better, more professional looking, products out there. I'm simply going to say something like, "hey guys, let's look a little more professional; here's a good quality shirt and a good brand of shorts if you are looking for suggestions."

Your original request did sound like you wanted to require volunteers to wear a specific pair of shorts.

Quote:
Not to derail the thread, but does anyone have any brand suggestions for black shorts? I'd like the guys to wear the same and I like the UA, but was wondering about other brands.
That did sound overboard for paid officials, much less volunteers. You didn't make it sound like it was going to be a suggestion. In your current reply, you made it clear that it was going to be a suggestion. But, that isn't how your original post on the topic read.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sat Apr 08, 2017 at 12:45am.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

One summer rec league I work provides a gray, wicking material T-shirt, with the organization's logo and the words "CBAA Ref." No rules about shorts, but the shirts provide some degree of uniformity. Texas Aggie, you might consider a similar approach.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 08:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Your original request did sound like you wanted to require volunteers to wear a specific pair of shorts.

That, did sound overboard for paid officials, much less volunteers. You didn't make it sound like it was going to be a suggestion. In your current reply, you made it clear that it was going to be a suggestion. But, that isn't how your original post on the topic read.
I read it the same way Camron did: as if you wanted to require a specific brand. Just tell them to wear black shorts, and let them know collars went out of style with Vanilla Ice.
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I asked because some of you do summer and rec leagues and wear brands that I may not be familiar with.
The summer leagues I work have one of two requirements: shorts allowed; long pants required.

That's it (well, for the shorts -- a striped shirt is required). No mention of brand, length, etc. And, frankly, that's all it should be.
Old Sat Apr 08, 2017, 08:42am
Do not give a damn!!

If someone made me go out and buy a specific brand when I already have the appropriate shirt and certain color pants, I am probably not going to do that anymore. Not unless you are buying the stuff for me. Yes, that is way too anal IMO for any league to be telling officials what specifically to wear other than simply a basic color or style.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 10, 2017, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Target brand (C9?) black gym shorts are great for me. Logo is nearly invisible, above the knee, slim and not too baggy. That's what I reffed all of my rec league games in before my early retirement from that stuff this year.