The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Post Quarreling between coaches and officials

Which steps could be taken to control the tensions i.e. different opinions between coaches and officials?
We are referring to a professional basketball league. Some coaches believe that referees aren't worthy of their respect, because of the referee’s limited knowledge of officiating. Referees on the other hand, believe they are the most important aspect of basketball.
In one occasion a referee answered this question during the meeting, and explained that he had worked hard and called more than hundred technical fouls in one year. He believed his actions were justified by the profanity and rudeness the coaches displayed toward him. And yes, according the officiating system of FIBA supported the referee’s actions.
Do we need to be more tolerant when it comes to keeping basketball activities disciplined? Are we putting the needs of the officials above those of coaches, or vice versa? Is there anybody who can give us some suggestions? Thanks!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My perspective?
Coaches should be coaching and not quarreling. When asking questions turns into having arguments and being disrespectful to the officials, technical fouls should follow. If the league supports the officials, the coaches will learn and behavior will change. It's almost like magic the way it works.

It's not about the officials' egos, it's about keeping the game orderly. If you've got one official giving out that many technical fouls in a year and being backed by FIBA, the rest of the officials aren't doing it right.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT32 View Post
Do we need to be more tolerant when it comes to keeping basketball activities disciplined? Are we putting the needs of the officials above those of coaches, or vice versa? Is there anybody who can give us some suggestions? Thanks!
Based strictly on your description of the situation, it seems the coaches lack a basic understanding of professional behavior at the work place. I am sure the officials' "limited knowledge of officiating" is equally offset by the coaches' "limited knowledge of coaching".

It always amazes me that coaches assume they are more proficient at their job then officials are at their job.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 09:49am
Do not give a damn!!

I think we have to officiate within the standards of the system we work under.

But I really do not understand the overall point or question in this thread. Not sure what the official is doing wrong if the people he/she works for supports their decisions. If the league/level or rules do not support the official's decisions, then he will not be there very long.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

There is a natural ''antagonism" between coaches and refs. Someone on this site once said "everytime I blow my whistle one coach will be happy and the opposing coach will be mad". Wish I could find out who said that to give them proper credit for that quote.

Coaches may appear cordial and polite during pre-game, but this is only a facade. In their mind You are their loosely viewed as an additional ''opponent" against their team. We, our officiating committees, and other stakeholders can come up with all types of programs and such to alleviate this antagonism; however, as long as there are winners and losers the officials will be subjected to either derision or impoliteness by coaches.

Hey your mother never told you that reffing would be easy right? I ''whack'' them, you should start getting more confident in yourself to 'whack'' the coaches. I had one coach tell me once after I whacked him, "me and you can handle this after the game in the parking lot". Yes, he said that in full earshot of everyone, I then told him "we can do that, I waiting for you after my second game". Game ended and he was nowhere to be found.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Wed Nov 05, 2014 at 10:40am.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 11:20am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
There is a natural ''antagonism" between coaches and refs. Someone on this site once said "everytime I blow my whistle one coach will be happy and the opposing coach will be mad". Wish I could find out who said that to give them proper credit for that quote.

Coaches may appear cordial and polite during pre-game, but this is only a facade. In their mind You are their loosely viewed as an additional ''opponent" against their team. We, our officiating committees, and other stakeholders can come up with all types of programs and such to alleviate this antagonism; however, as long as there are winners and losers the officials will be subjected to either derision or impoliteness by coaches.

Hey your mother never told you that reffing would be easy right? I ''whack'' them, you should start getting more confident in yourself to 'whack'' the coaches. I had one coach tell me once after I whacked him, "me and you can handle this after the game in the parking lot". Yes, he said that in full earshot of everyone, I then told him "we can do that, I waiting for you after my second game". Game ended and he was nowhere to be found.
After that comment he would have got to the parking lot much earlier than I did.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 11:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Even if someone said it here, it probably was not the first time it was said and certainly no the only time ever stated. I have been hearing this comment for years.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Even if someone said it here, it probably was not the first time it was said and certainly no the only time ever stated. I have been hearing this comment for years.

Peace
Exactly. I'm sure I've said it but I'm also sure I didn't create it.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

My general rule tends to be:

If you can make a rational logical argument/disagreement as loudly or empassioned as you want.
Safe

If there is a demeaning or insulting comment made about me or my partner it doesn't matter how many people hear it. Whammy.

You can be visibily upset and react to a call so long as its your personal momentary reaction not targeted at me or to the other team/crowd. Safe

If you react and it becomes protracted or is clearly targeted to get reaction. WHammy

We can disagree on the way the game is being called because we can disagree on the way the game is being coached. We don't have to change you don't have to change but we will keep blowing the whistle the same way. Safe

We disagree and you continue to harp on it or start instructing your kids in a way that makes public mock or criticism of officials. Whammy.

In a nut shell I'm ok with loud competitive coaches that are firey but can remain clear headed when they communicate to me or about us. I don't care what your demeanour is if you can't articulate yourself without whinning, criticizing or being accusatory we're not getting along.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I concur, well-stated Panther!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 03:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Exclamation

Panther - sounds like you were at my B18U Rec game this weekend - when I whacked the coach!
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 04:52pm
Back from the DL

I say it every pre-game.

"Question anything you like, as long as you're civil about it."
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 05:07pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I say it every pre-game.

"Question anything you like, as long as you're civil about it."

This seems like an invitation for a lot of stupid questions.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 05:29pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This seems like an invitation for a lot of stupid questions.
Stupid questions can be annoying, but I'd rather a coach ask them than get frustrated and do something worthy of a tech later.
Old Wed Nov 05, 2014, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Pregame....."If you have a question, ask nicely. If you have a comment, keep it to yourself, unless it's a compliment 😃."

Sometimes I throw in, "Coaches coach, players play, and officials officiate, any questions?" Save the best for last