View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 07, 2017, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
you are taking this WAY too seriously and looking to show who's in charge with controlling what volunteer officials wear.
You CAN NOT be serious. First of all, I do leadership training and consulting. I work with leaders and directors of all kinds of organizations. Even a few CEOs. One of the first things people who take my training courses learn is what leadership is not -- it is not about showing who's in charge. So I basically spit out my drink when I read your comment. It is like you trying to tell Roy Williams what mistakes he is making in recruiting. OK, OK maybe I'm not quite at the level in my profession that he is in his, but the comparison is still at least somewhat accurate. Feel silly yet? If not, keep reading. [OK, that comment was a little snotty; ignore!]

Second, my concerns are based on what was actually being worn. One guy was wearing a shirt with a collar. Shorts are all over the place. I don't think anyone has ever told these guys to do anything other than when to show up and wear something like a shirt and shorts -- so it isn't like they're married to their wardrobe. They have no idea there are better, more professional looking, products out there. I'm simply going to say something like, "hey guys, let's look a little more professional; here's a good quality shirt and a good brand of shorts if you are looking for suggestions." And yes, I'd be happy to give or buy the guys a shirt and some shorts if for whatever reason they won't get them themselves. If you were doing this league and a guy wanted to wear his old football knickers, would you let him? What about a rock concert t-shirt? Something inappropriate at a church (where this league is being played)? If you want to call clothing suggestions micro-managing, fine, but where does it start and stop?

Finally, this is one reason why I don't come on this forum much -- I wasn't really looking for advice, or for that matter input, on ANYTHING other than a brand of a pair of shorts. [AremRed -- thank you for your suggestions]

I asked because some of you do summer and rec leagues and wear brands that I may not be familiar with. Asking a question like, "are you sure you want to go to this level with volunteers..." may have been reasonable, but making accusations or trying to lecture me based on YOUR inaccurate assumptions is not. Yeah, I probably sound a little defensive (and I apologize for that) but each one on here SHOULD know better. You're criticizing a colleague without getting the entire story. Hell, you hardly have ANY of the story. Tell me with a straight face you'd want me doing that to you -- especially on something you didn't ask for any input on.

If you really believed that your comments to me were something I needed to take to heart, you need to do the same here. Right??

Oh, and one more thing (if you're still reading): if I do take this over, these guys are going to show up on a Saturday morning to a room with towels, a couple of coolers full of water/sports drinks/sodas and an assortment of breakfast foods. I don't know what as of now, but by the end of the league, they will get a very nice gift. I will ask the league for SOME of this in the budget but I suspect I will cover most of it myself. I also have some contacts with some name recognition who I can probably get to write each of them a glowing letter of appreciation. Like a men's Div. 1 head coach. I'll try to do something like that. All that for getting MAYBE 1 or 2 small items of clothing that I don't think any of them will have a problem with anyway.

I will ask them at the end of the league if I took this WAY too seriously.