The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Christmas tournament. Our game delayed until 9:40 pm, for a 6th grade girls game! Everyone eager to start. Other coach comes over to my bench, introduces himself and says how glad he is that we joined the tournament, good luck, blah, blah, blah. I sit down, the girls get on the floor and the next thing I know this "nice" coach has jumped off the bench onto the floor and he is screaming at the officials, screaming at this team and screaming, I think, to hear himself scream. The game was aggressive and his girls had lots of fouls called. He screamed some more. The game was a tied with 30 seconds left, his player hits a three. He calls a time out and "SCREAMS" at his girls on how badly they are playing then yells at the officials for not calling traveling on on of my players who was on her knees. It was called a jump ball. It's 10:30 pm, these are 6th grade girls. My team can't pull a win out with two baskets in less then 30 seconds.

My girls came over to the bench during the time out. The only answer I have for them is that the other coach is freaky. They laughed, we lost, they played their hearts out and the officials rolled their eyes as the other coach berated his 11 year olds after the game for not "creaming" my green team.

I honestly don't understand coaches, and I am one.

thanks for listening,
Coach G.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

You're right, coach, in reference to your other thread. These were very new refs. Any ref with any experience would have had this coach either quiet or in the parking lot. If one T hadn't done the trick, 2 would have sufficed.

Also, any coach who cries about not getting a border-line travel call in a 6th grade girls game needs to find a new hobby.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Also, any coach who cries about not getting a border-line travel call in a 6th grade girls game needs to find a new hobby.
Or life.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Hey Coach G., welcome to the forum! From this & your other post it sounds like you had a rough day - I know where you're you're coming from, having coached GS/MS for 10 years until my youngest finally hit high school & I went back to officiating. The best I can suggest is learn what you can from it & move on.

I applaud the effort you're obviously making with your girls, it sounds like you're the kind of coach youth sports needs more of. The coach of the team you played clearly is not....

In reality, we officials don't dislike coaches per se. The vast majority of them are great - it's just the antics of a small percentage that either deliberately or through their ignorance cause problems. The type of coaching behavior you described is what you may see occasionally referred to on this board as a "howler monkey". If you've ever seen one in a zoo, the analogy is straightforward.....

Good luck with your girls - hopefully they are having fun and learning some skills along the way!
Old Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Coach,

I can understand your situation. I coached AAU for 5 years and at times I got a little excited when coaching. I look at it now and I wish I would have taken the steps to becoming an offical earlier. AAU coaches think they know it all. I found out real quick how much I did not know.

I run two AAU touraments each year for our local High School Athletic Booster Club as I see how some coaches act.
It is not pretty. Parents should step in and put the coach on a leash or take the children off the team. There is no reason for this type of action.

I did a freeby AAU Tournament for a friend last year. The coach from one of the teams was on me from the first trip down the court. It was 8:00 AM on a Saturday and I was donating my time. The guy keeps on me each of the next three times down the court. I give him the stop sign and set him down.

Towards the end of the game one of his girls basically trips and falls to the floor on the opposite side of the court. The coach think a foul should have been called. This was away from me in my partners areas. She is down and crying and hurt. I beacon the coach on the court to help her. She gets up and limps off the court.

After the game he walks towards me and I thought to extend his hand to shake hands. So I extend my hand and he says "I don't want to shake your hand, you are the reason my player got hurt"

For one of the first times in my life I was speechless. I vowed then and there to not do freebies.

This coach was out of hand and should not be coaching.