The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I think it is a dribble and a backcourt violation.
Is it a dribble or interrupted dribble?
There is no player control during the latter.

I don't even think that it is a dribble per the Case Book, but that is another debate.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 11:03am
NFHS Official

Controls ball with both feet in the FC, dribbles behind his back. One foot lands in BC, that foot then rises off of floor and he touches ball with one foot on the floor, and the foot that was in the BC is in the air. What's his location?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 11:12am
TODO: creative title here

It's close... close enough that I'm not going to make my living making that my best call of the night. Play on.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Controls ball with both feet in the FC, dribbles behind his back. One foot lands in BC, that foot then rises off of floor and he touches ball with one foot on the floor, and the foot that was in the BC is in the air. What's his location?
You are where you were til you get where you're going.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 11:15am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
You are where you were til you get where you're going.
Yes. That's why I have a BC violation.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Frontcourt.
This isn't a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, so the 3-points rule doesn't apply. The controlling rule for player location in this case is nothing touching the backcourt means frontcourt location.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. That's why I have a BC violation.
??

Where he was going was the FC, and he was there as soon as one foot touched it and the other was lifted from the BC (which was your previous description).
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 11:56am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Frontcourt.
This isn't a dribble from backcourt to frontcourt, so the 3-points rule doesn't apply. The controlling rule for player location in this case is nothing touching the backcourt means frontcourt location.
I know the 3 points doesn't apply. I think you just changed my mind.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 12:09pm
Stubborn Member

Is it safe to say that if you rule the initial touch as the beginning of a dribble then it's a BC? If the initial touch is not the start of a dribble then it's nothing?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Is it safe to say that if you rule the initial touch as the beginning of a dribble then it's a BC? If the initial touch is not the start of a dribble then it's nothing?
A player who touches a boundary line while dribbling has caused the ball to go OOB, even if the ball isn't touched at the same time as the line.

No such rule / statement exists for the division line.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
A player who touches a boundary line while dribbling has caused the ball to go OOB, even if the ball isn't touched at the same time as the line.

No such rule / statement exists for the division line.
I would agree that there is no rule, but if a player is dribbling the ball in the FC, then I would suggest that if they touch the division line they have gone into the BC by rule. We could suggest there is no rule when it applies to touching the lane either in this specific case, but that to me would be a stretch. So in this case if the player was in a dribble and touched the BC, I would have a violation. But I think the specifics of that are not clear based on the video.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Is it a dribble or interrupted dribble?
There is no player control during the latter.

I don't even think that it is a dribble per the Case Book, but that is another debate.
I can see where it could be judged an interrupted dribble.

I think it was a dribble. He pushed the ball to the floor with one hand and behind his back so the ball would be just where he knew it would be when the ball returned from the floor and he returned from having one foot in the backcourt. I think he had control of the ball when he pushed it to the floor.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

I woudn't have called a backcourt violation but the travel ....

right after the UNC player regains control and passes the ball, there appears to be a travel violation not called.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I can see where it could be judged an interrupted dribble.

I think it was a dribble. He pushed the ball to the floor with one hand and behind his back so the ball would be just where he knew it would be when the ball returned from the floor and he returned from having one foot in the backcourt. I think he had control of the ball when he pushed it to the floor.
I do not think that an interrupted dribble is an option. To have an interrupted dribble, there has to be a dribble to start with. Either that first push down is a dribble (it came right back to him so it isn't interrupted) or it isn't a dribble at all (nothing to be interrupted).
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

After reviewing it further I think I am changing my mind and saying not a backcourt violation. After watching it about 5 more times, it looks like the UNC player gains control in the front court after lifting his foot up from the backcourt, while his other foot is in the front court.