The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Duke/Carolina Back Court (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102360-duke-carolina-back-court.html)

Stillblind Mon Mar 06, 2017 07:25pm

Duke/Carolina Back Court

Due to the fact that this hasn't even been addressed is making me wonder if I missed something. Saturday night 1st half Carolina has TC in front court when Duke player knocks it away toward mid court. (The trail Tim Nestor gives a tipped signal.). Carolina player re-gains control in the front court and then dribbles to the BC. Looks like a clear BC violation. I would love it if someone could post the video. (Not sure of time)

JRutledge Mon Mar 06, 2017 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillblind (Post 1001786)
Due to the fact that this hasn't even been addressed is making me wonder if I missed something. Saturday night 1st half Carolina has TC in front court when Duke player knocks it away toward mid court. (The trail Tim Nestor gives a tipped signal.). Carolina player re-gains control in the front court and then dribbles to the BC. Looks like a clear BC violation. I would love it if someone could post the video. (Not sure of time)

Without the time that is going to be hard. I do not have time to look up a play without some idea of when it took place. Do you have a range at least?

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Mar 06, 2017 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1001787)
Without the time that is going to be hard. I do not have time to look up a play without some idea of when it took place. Do you have a range at least?

Peace

What, you mean Saturday night isn't good enough? ;) He even gave you the half just for good measure. ;);)

Thanks for doing the videos...and it is certainly not too much to ask for a precise time.

JRutledge Mon Mar 06, 2017 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1001788)
What, you mean Saturday night isn't good enough? ;) He even gave you the half just for good measure. ;);)

Thanks for doing the videos...and it is certainly not too much to ask for a precise time.

He does not even half to give me the time. He could say "Around the 14:00 mark of the first half" and it would take a few minutes to find.

No it is not enough. ;)

Peace

Stillblind Mon Mar 06, 2017 08:03pm

I would like to say around the 10:00 min mark in the 1st half but that's just a shot in the dark. Are these games somewhere that I can look up?

JRutledge Mon Mar 06, 2017 08:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillblind (Post 1001790)
I would like to say around the 10:00 min mark in the 1st half but that's just a shot in the dark. Are these games somewhere that I can look up?

You can look up the box score on any school or game website. Secondly all games that ESPN Watch. I am not seeing the play in question at this time. I have the game recorded so I have some time to look it up, but need more information if possible.

Peace

Stillblind Mon Mar 06, 2017 08:30pm

I just found it on YouTube. 10:04 in the 1st half. Thanks for your patience.

JRutledge Mon Mar 06, 2017 09:14pm

Here is the play. Sorry to bust your balls, but it is hard to find all the close plays, especially the ones not called. Thanks for looking.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MdNua7d8x9I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

BillyMac Mon Mar 06, 2017 09:34pm

Good No Call ...

Hard to see from the angle in the video, but I don't believe that it's a backcourt violation.

Raymond Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:06pm

Definitely did not dribble to the backcourt. That's why I always like to the see video cuz you cannot always be sure that the play is being accurately described.

Camron Rust Tue Mar 07, 2017 01:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 1001802)
Definitely did not dribble to the backcourt. That's why I always like to the see video cuz you cannot always be sure that the play is being accurately described.

White #1 definitely recovered the ball (touching is sufficient) in the front court and then stepped in the backcourt and, as you said, did not dribble in the backcourt.

Next, there are two possibilities.

1. Was the player touching the ball while touching the backcourt? If so, it would be a violation.

2. Was the catch and release a dribble or just a bat? If a dribble, most would consider that a violation for being a dribbler who stepped on the division line (that despite the fact that the rules don't actually say that). If not a dribble, then it would not be a violation.

Nevadaref Tue Mar 07, 2017 05:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1001806)
White #1 definitely recovered the ball (touching is sufficient) in the front court and then stepped in the backcourt and, as you said, did not dribble in the backcourt.

Next, there are two possibilities.

1. Was the player touching the ball while touching the backcourt? If so, it would be a violation.

2. Was the catch and release a dribble or just a bat? If a dribble, most would consider that a violation for being a dribbler who stepped on the division line (that despite the fact that the rules don't actually say that). If not a dribble, then it would not be a violation.

Good analysis.
1. No, he was never both in contact with the ball and the backcourt at the same time.
2. I deem that a bat without control. Per the Case Book play which we discussed a couple of weeks ago (4.15 Comment), when a player slaps the ball away from others attempting to get it that is not a dribble.

It's close, but I don't have a violation on the play.

chapmaja Tue Mar 07, 2017 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1001794)
Hard to see from the angle in the video, but I don't believe that it's a backcourt violation.

I agree. The way I see this play is the UNC player touches the ball in the front court, then while the ball is out of his hand and in the dribble he steps into the backcourt, but reestablishes the position in the front court before retouching the ball.

JeffM Tue Mar 07, 2017 09:41am

I think it is a dribble and a backcourt violation.

nolanjj68 Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06am

It looks to me he reestablished control with both feet in the front court then stepped into the backcourt. Backcourt violation.