The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Duke/Carolina Back Court

Due to the fact that this hasn't even been addressed is making me wonder if I missed something. Saturday night 1st half Carolina has TC in front court when Duke player knocks it away toward mid court. (The trail Tim Nestor gives a tipped signal.). Carolina player re-gains control in the front court and then dribbles to the BC. Looks like a clear BC violation. I would love it if someone could post the video. (Not sure of time)
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 07:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillblind View Post
Due to the fact that this hasn't even been addressed is making me wonder if I missed something. Saturday night 1st half Carolina has TC in front court when Duke player knocks it away toward mid court. (The trail Tim Nestor gives a tipped signal.). Carolina player re-gains control in the front court and then dribbles to the BC. Looks like a clear BC violation. I would love it if someone could post the video. (Not sure of time)
Without the time that is going to be hard. I do not have time to look up a play without some idea of when it took place. Do you have a range at least?

Peace
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Without the time that is going to be hard. I do not have time to look up a play without some idea of when it took place. Do you have a range at least?

Peace
What, you mean Saturday night isn't good enough? He even gave you the half just for good measure.

Thanks for doing the videos...and it is certainly not too much to ask for a precise time.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 07:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What, you mean Saturday night isn't good enough? He even gave you the half just for good measure.

Thanks for doing the videos...and it is certainly not too much to ask for a precise time.
He does not even half to give me the time. He could say "Around the 14:00 mark of the first half" and it would take a few minutes to find.

No it is not enough.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to say around the 10:00 min mark in the 1st half but that's just a shot in the dark. Are these games somewhere that I can look up?
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 08:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillblind View Post
I would like to say around the 10:00 min mark in the 1st half but that's just a shot in the dark. Are these games somewhere that I can look up?
You can look up the box score on any school or game website. Secondly all games that ESPN Watch. I am not seeing the play in question at this time. I have the game recorded so I have some time to look it up, but need more information if possible.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I just found it on YouTube. 10:04 in the 1st half. Thanks for your patience.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 09:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the play. Sorry to bust your balls, but it is hard to find all the close plays, especially the ones not called. Thanks for looking.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 09:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good No Call ...

Hard to see from the angle in the video, but I don't believe that it's a backcourt violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 11:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Definitely did not dribble to the backcourt. That's why I always like to the see video cuz you cannot always be sure that the play is being accurately described.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Definitely did not dribble to the backcourt. That's why I always like to the see video cuz you cannot always be sure that the play is being accurately described.
White #1 definitely recovered the ball (touching is sufficient) in the front court and then stepped in the backcourt and, as you said, did not dribble in the backcourt.

Next, there are two possibilities.

1. Was the player touching the ball while touching the backcourt? If so, it would be a violation.

2. Was the catch and release a dribble or just a bat? If a dribble, most would consider that a violation for being a dribbler who stepped on the division line (that despite the fact that the rules don't actually say that). If not a dribble, then it would not be a violation.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
White #1 definitely recovered the ball (touching is sufficient) in the front court and then stepped in the backcourt and, as you said, did not dribble in the backcourt.

Next, there are two possibilities.

1. Was the player touching the ball while touching the backcourt? If so, it would be a violation.

2. Was the catch and release a dribble or just a bat? If a dribble, most would consider that a violation for being a dribbler who stepped on the division line (that despite the fact that the rules don't actually say that). If not a dribble, then it would not be a violation.
Good analysis.
1. No, he was never both in contact with the ball and the backcourt at the same time.
2. I deem that a bat without control. Per the Case Book play which we discussed a couple of weeks ago (4.15 Comment), when a player slaps the ball away from others attempting to get it that is not a dribble.

It's close, but I don't have a violation on the play.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hard to see from the angle in the video, but I don't believe that it's a backcourt violation.
I agree. The way I see this play is the UNC player touches the ball in the front court, then while the ball is out of his hand and in the dribble he steps into the backcourt, but reestablishes the position in the front court before retouching the ball.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I think it is a dribble and a backcourt violation.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

It looks to me he reestablished control with both feet in the front court then stepped into the backcourt. Backcourt violation.