The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
On the OP play, A1 catches the ball with left foot down, jumps off of it, lands with both, then pivots on his right foot, then takes off with a really small shuffle of the right foot. If I'm reading you right, the travel is because his jump stop would mean that both of his feet on the landing are his pivot. So when he pivots on the right (ie picks up the left and puts it back down) that equals a travel?
Player catches ball with left foot on floor. It is simply a foot on the floor at this moment. He jumps off of that foot. If he is going to land with the ball, he has to have both land simultaneously. When both land at the same time, he has NO pivot foot. If he wants to start a dribble he has to do it before lifting either foot.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
On the OP play, A1 catches the ball with left foot down, jumps off of it, lands with both, then pivots on his right foot, then takes off with a really small shuffle of the right foot. If I'm reading you right, the travel is because his jump stop would mean that both of his feet on the landing are his pivot. So when he pivots on the right (ie picks up the left and puts it back down) that equals a travel?

See post #2
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

I went back and looked at 4-44, and there it is in black and white; the pivot foot is not established until both feet have hit the floor. So the player in the OP is allowed to jump off his one foot and make a jump stop. This is the reason I still participate in this forum, I've been around the game for 30 years, and reffed for 7, and learned something I didn't know today. Thanks guys.
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Player catches ball with left foot on floor. It is simply a foot on the floor at this moment. He jumps off of that foot. If he is going to land with the ball, he has to have both land simultaneously. When both land at the same time, he has NO pivot foot. If he wants to start a dribble he has to do it before lifting either foot.

After a jump stop the player can lift his feet, he or she just can't put the foot back on the floor. i.e. after a jump stop the player could jump in the air to shoot. They could lift one foot and start a dribble
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post
[/COLOR]
After a jump stop the player can lift his feet, he or she just can't put the foot back on the floor. i.e. after a jump stop the player could jump in the air to shoot. They could lift one foot and start a dribble
Yes. No.

(Assuming the "jump stop" is the type that does not allow either foot to be a pivot foot.)
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[/COLOR]
If you end the dribble with one foot on floor and jump off of that foot, or, as in this case, catch ball with one foot on floor and then jump..player must land simultaneously. When he does, neither foot can be a pivot. Must release ball on dribble before lifting either foot. 4-44
Old Mon Jan 30, 2017, 03:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Your user-name gets revoked for this post.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jan 30, 2017 at 03:55pm.
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes. No.

(Assuming the "jump stop" is the type that does not allow either foot to be a pivot foot.)
You are right. My mistake, you can't lift a foot to start a dribble
Old Wed Feb 01, 2017, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Your user-name gets revoked for this post.
I may have to change it LOL