The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Sky vs. Mystics - Last Second Call Thoughts

WNBA.com: WNBA Video Player

What is everyone's thoughts on the foul call with about 1 second left in the game. It is around the 1:32 mark on the highlight video linked above.

Last edited by NCHSAA; Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 03:16pm.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 03:11pm
Administrator

I haven't watched the video yet, but if it would be a foul in the first minute of the game is should darn well be a foul in the last minute of the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 03:16pm
Administrator

I have watched the video. It is difficult to tell if there was contact. But, lets assume that there was contact, then the official made the correct call. This would have been a foul in the first minute of the game and should be a foul in the last minute of the game. If I were the WNBA Commissioner I would fine the losing coach for her conduct toward the coach after the game. Coaches should always pay a price for taking a cheap shot at the officials for conduct on the court immediately after the game. The game official did a great job of ignoring her as he left the court.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I have watched the video. It is difficult to tell if there was contact. But, lets assume that there was contact, then the official made the correct call. This would have been a foul in the first minute of the game and should be a foul in the last minute of the game. If I were the WNBA Commissioner I would fine the losing coach for her conduct toward the coach after the game. Coaches should always pay a price for taking a cheap shot at the officials for conduct on the court immediately after the game. The game official did a great job of ignoring her as he left the court.

MTD, Sr.
I agree there are no good angles from the camera's. I was surprised, as I watched the game live, that the call was made from C's position across the court. I would think that the better angle from where contact supposedly happened on the left shoulder would come from in front of the play. It looked as if the C was right in line with the offensive player and was blocked out, therefore having to react to the body language of the shooter for the foul call. Maybe the Trail should have been closer to the play? It just seemed a reach from the C's position for this kind of contact. But all of this is coming from poor camera angles.

Last edited by NCHSAA; Sun Aug 21, 2011 at 03:31pm.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 03:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see any foul based on the angles we saw on the video. It looked to me like the officials anticipated a call than seeing the entire play. I at first thought there would have to have been a foul call on #22 that was trailing the play, but on the end line angle that player did not appear to even touch the shooter. The block looked clean for the most part. Without talking to the official it is a guess, but there certainly was not video evidence to say they got that call right.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 04:35pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
WNBA.com: WNBA Video Player

What is everyone's thoughts on the foul call with about 1 second left in the game. It is around the 1:32 mark on the highlight video linked above.
Horrible positioning by the Lead official. There was exactly zero Team A players in her primary. Having a feel for the game means understanding where the last-second attack will come from, and officiating that area rather that officiating the void that she was looking at. Had she started up the strong side sideline, she would have been in perfect situation to sell any call that needed to be made or not made.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Horrible positioning by the Lead official. There was exactly zero Team A players in her primary. Having a feel for the game means understanding where the last-second attack will come from, and officiating that area rather that officiating the void that she was looking at. Had she started up the strong side sideline, she would have been in perfect situation to sell any call that needed to be made or not made.
I could see the call coming from the Lead, as she could see the initial contact if it was there. On this type of contact coming from behind, the Center IMO is not in position to make the call. At first I though the Trail should have made the call but now looking back that would be hard, unless he was right on it on the sideline.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
On this type of contact coming from behind, the Center IMO is not in position to make the call. At first I though the Trail should have made the call but now looking back that would be hard, unless he was right on it on the sideline.
Didn't this foul occur in the C's primary? And exactly how is the lead or trail supposed to see contact (if there really was any) from behind? No way! The C would have the best look through and should be in the best position to make the call.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 07:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
Didn't this foul occur in the C's primary? And exactly how is the lead or trail supposed to see contact (if there really was any) from behind? No way! The C would have the best look through and should be in the best position to make the call.
I agree that this is the C's primary. I cannot tell from the clip if their was a foul or not. Maybe Ben can chime in if he finds out how the call was graded.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
The Lead could stay back and see the situation unfold from start to finish and have a deep look. Going by PCA's it wouldnt be the Lead's, but view wise it wasnt a bad look as one of the replays had a view from approximately the Leads position. The C from his angle was looking at the side of the player when the "contact" was coming from back to front. If he was deeper down toward the baseline I think the look would have been better as you could see the "swipe and contact" starting and finish. But I have confidence he had some sort of look if he made the call.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 12:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
but there certainly was not video evidence to say they got that call right.
Seems to me the opposite of how we should approach thus.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Tough play, tough call... big ba11s!

If you take this play frame by frame, once the throw-in is complete the new T is out of this play. No way he can catch up to the shooter after the outlet pass for the last second shot! I dont know if there was a timeout prior to that throw-in, but you would think they discussed this situation & how it would be handled at some point.

The live camera angle seems to be the slots view but not at court level (big difference). That being said, I dont see a foul here.
I did see a swipe from the trailing defender followed by a "get that ish outta here" then the shooters body twists & falls. The player closest to the slot says something to him (after the shooter fell) as he made the call...

Obviously, anybody can break this film down & say what they would've done or how this should be handled. Live game its a tough play to officiate.

What can be said though, is, whether he got the call correct or not he needed to be stronger on is post-whistle actions!!! He just walked across the court as if this was a typical call in the 1st 5 minutes of the game. That's a GAMER man! Time to shine! His body language suggest to me that he didn't buy his own act...

Last edited by tref; Mon Aug 22, 2011 at 08:37am.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

per the box score...the foul was charged to #22 (the trailing defender) on this play....

even though I am a Sky fan, and I am glad they won....THERE WAS NO FOUL on this play. Granted, the best view was from the baseline camera and the only official who could have made this call was the slot/C - it was a bad call. No contact occurred that warranted a foul.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 09:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
per the box score...the foul was charged to #22 (the trailing defender) on this play....

even though I am a Sky fan, and I am glad they won....THERE WAS NO FOUL on this play. Granted, the best view was from the baseline camera and the only official who could have made this call was the slot/C - it was a bad call. No contact occurred that warranted a foul.
Actually that is what I thought when I saw the play that he had to call the foul on #22 because it looked like the only legitimate contact came from that player. But when you see the end line angle, then it is clear there was no contact at all from that player.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But when you see the end line angle, then it is clear there was no contact at all from that player.

Peace

I don't know that it is that clear.

At the moment where there may or may not be contact, the other defender is directly in the line of sight with respect to the camera....completely blocking any view from the endline camera. I can't say there was contact, but I sure can't agree that it was clear there wasn't contact either.

Tough situation.