The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Thoughts on this travel call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102160-thoughts-travel-call.html)

RefsNCoaches Tue Jan 24, 2017 03:00pm

Thoughts on this travel call

I don't know how to imbed video and this is from a Twitter account......

I don't know if that can be imbeded for all to view but...

https://twitter.com/Ray_Law12/status/822271510052225024

Would like to hear the feedback on this call.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 24, 2017 03:36pm

He traveled twice.

The player caught the ball with his left foot on the floor and jumped off that foot. To be legal, both feet needed to land at the same time -- they didn't.

If that was "too close" to call, then the above would be judged legal, but now neither foot can be the pivot foot. When the left foot is lifted before the ball is released on the dribble -- that's a travel.

Rich Tue Jan 24, 2017 03:36pm

It's a travel. Actually, it's two travels in one.

RefsNCoaches Tue Jan 24, 2017 03:41pm

I was reading some comments about it and most felt it wasn't a travel. Admittedly, As I watched in real time, it was difficult for me to catch the left foot becoming the pivot foot. As a slowed it down and replayed it, I thought that was the case and then he took RF, LF steps.

JRutledge Tue Jan 24, 2017 04:52pm

I got him traveling once clearly in live time. I do not know about the second time, but I stopped trying to pay attention after the first move.

Peace

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 24, 2017 04:57pm

Left foot pivot foot, travel. Count how many steps he takes before actually releasing the dribble and you have another reason to call a violation. Good call.

Rich Tue Jan 24, 2017 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 998402)
Left foot pivot foot, travel. Count how many steps he takes before actually releasing the dribble and you have another reason to call a violation. Good call.

Good officials don't count steps.

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 24, 2017 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 998402)

Correct, if not for the wrong reason. Step-counters generally make more mistakes on travel calls. It's not about steps. It's about establishing a pivot foot (or disallowing yourself one, like after a jump stop) and what they can or cannot do once that happens.

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 24, 2017 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 998403)

Rich types faster than me, and makes his points more succinctly. :)

JRutledge Tue Jan 24, 2017 05:08pm

Well if it is not big enough, there is a "full screen" button in the corner

Here is the video slowed down.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G81gdCYvhp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Hugh Refner Tue Jan 24, 2017 06:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches (Post 998386)
I was reading some comments about it and most felt it wasn't a travel.

Most what felt it wasn't a travel - coaches?

Pantherdreams Wed Jan 25, 2017 07:48am

I am ok with a travel call here as most have said there are multiple opportunities to make the call on this one play. As someone who calls more travels than most of my peers I appreciate this get.

Now the only mitigating factors are the manner in which the game was officiated all along. I know a lot of high school officials who aren't calling those catches or take offs consistently or at all. If you've gotten it all game, go ahead and get it again. If you only got it because its late in the game that is a problem. If the standard for footwork is not set early and consistently getting this in this situation could be problematic.

UNIgiantslayers Wed Jan 25, 2017 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 998403)

Correct. Which is why I used the terminology in the rule book at the beginning of my post. The steps comment is for the fellas on here that like to come in and complain about officials, dont know the rulebook, and scream 3 seconds during every rebounding action.

RefsNCoaches Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherdreams (Post 998459)
I am ok with a travel call here as most have said there are multiple opportunities to make the call on this one play. As someone who calls more travels than most of my peers I appreciate this get.

Now the only mitigating factors are the manner in which the game was officiated all along. I know a lot of high school officials who aren't calling those catches or take offs consistently or at all. If you've gotten it all game, go ahead and get it again. If you only got it because its late in the game that is a problem. If the standard for footwork is not set early and consistently getting this in this situation could be problematic.

To Hugh...they were fans at the game. I don't drop any stock in that, one of them was a friend of mine asking about it...I chimed in and reviewed it for my own learning. It's the correct call.

Panther - It was whistled with 4.3 left in a tight game. I wasn't there but some of the comments were around the time of the call. Not sure how it was officiated all game as I wasn't there. I'm sure those in disagreement were parent/fans of that team who ended up losing.

Appreciate the feedback guys! Good ongoing study video if you ask me as it was a pretty quick play.

Raymond Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 998401)
I got him traveling once clearly in live time. I do not know about the second time, but I stopped trying to pay attention after the first move.

Peace

I have one travel, when he replants his left foot after the jump stop.

But that travel is clear enough for a whistle.