LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Is this Basket Interference?

Here is the play?

Peace
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

I guess the question here is does it qualify for the dunk exception?
Old Sat Jan 28, 2017, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Offensive BI. No goal, award 2 FTs.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Rule says can't touch any part of basket while ball is on or within it. Case play about a player grabbing rim for safety. No T but still BI.

By rule, this is BI. Ball on rim when he grabs it. No T cause off balance from foul. Grabs for safety. If I missed it, counted basket and gave one FT I wouldn't be too upset. I'd be wrong by rule but not upset...
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 09:16am
AremRed

Not BI. Nice triple whistle though.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Here is the play?

Peace
Did the crew stay with counting the basket and shooting 1? C made the call and counted it. Your second question "good application of the rule or not" makes me wonder if they waved it off and shot 2. Thx
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Without specific guidance from my section/assignor this is a BI call.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not BI. Nice triple whistle though.
Just one whistle grasshopper. It is BI under rules. I might pass on it or miss the call...but it is BI.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 02:06pm
Stubborn Member

Once the ball is no longer in the shooter's grasp, I don't see how you can give him the dunking exception. The ball is on the cylinder and the ring is still moving after he has let go of it. Seems like BI to me.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Once the ball is no longer in the shooter's grasp, I don't see how you can give him the dunking exception. The ball is on the cylinder and the ring is still moving after he has let go of it. Seems like BI to me.
I think -- Grasping the ring while the ball is in the cylinder is NOT BI. Nor is having the ring moving once the ball comes back down -- the ring just needs to be back at it's position.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 03:28pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think -- Grasping the ring while the ball is in the cylinder is NOT BI. Nor is having the ring moving once the ball comes back down -- the ring just needs to be back at it's position.
The exception states "if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters the imaginary cylinder or if such in action, the player touches the basket."

The shooter actually lost the handle on the ball before it was even within the imaginary cylinder (:23 into the video). And while he lets go of the ring before the ball enters the cylinder, the ring is still moving when the ball is on the ring.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The exception states "if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters the imaginary cylinder or if such in action, the player touches the basket."

The shooter actually lost the handle on the ball before it was even within the imaginary cylinder (:23 into the video). And while he lets go of the ring before the ball enters the cylinder, the ring is still moving when the ball is on the ring.
Bryan. The shooter has a hold of the rim while the ball is rolling on the rim. That is main reason it is BI. (If ball is on rim it is by definition in cylinder so I'm not sure how you get that he lets go of ring before ball "enters cylinder.")

Also, The rim is still moving up and down when ball hits it so I think you can have it for this reason also. I think "original position" means rim has to be still.

Id still likely pass because foul caused it all. I know there's no exception for that but that's likely what I'd do.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:08pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Bryan. The shooter has a hold of the rim while the ball is rolling on the rim. That is main reason it is BI. (If ball is on rim it is by definition in cylinder so I'm not sure how you get that he lets go of ring before ball "enters cylinder.")

Also, The rim is still moving up and down when ball hits it so I think you can have it for this reason also. I think "original position" means rim has to be still.

Id still likely pass because foul caused it all. I know there's no exception for that but that's likely what I'd do.
When I read "imaginary cylinder" I think of something like a tube with it's base being the ring itself. And the ball was not in that "tube" when he loses the grasp of the ball. If I'm misinterpreting the rule, then okay. Thanks

I understand being "fair", but how would you explain why you'd let the basket count?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I read "imaginary cylinder" I think of something like a tube with it's base being the ring itself. And the ball was not in that "tube" when he loses the grasp of the ball. If I'm misinterpreting the rule, then okay. Thanks

I understand being "fair", but how would you explain why you'd let the basket count?
That is the cylinder. Rim skyward. You said he let's go of the ring before ball enters the cylinder. Ball is clearly on ring when he grabs it.

And I wouldn't explain it. Frankly, I might not process it fast enough or care to try and process it. Don't like that offense did nothing to cause it. He got fouled. He didn't jump out of control and create his own need to grab rim. His grabbing didn't help ball go in. If I called it I'd certainly be proving I knew the rule.
Just not sure it's best thing to do.
I don't call multiple fouls and probably wouldn't call this. My supervisors would not care. Others might.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2017, 04:27pm
Stubborn Member

So "on the ring" and "in the cylinder" are the same thing? Okay.

I wouldn't have seen it this way in real time, and like you would have allowed the basket to stand. Hooray for slow-motion replay!