The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

He has ball and jumps off left leg and either doesn't land simultaneously or both feet do touch at same time but left leg slides back right away when he has no pivot foot. Travel either way.

Since he had the ball and jump stopped off one leg, he's not got a pivot. he has to release ball on dribble before picking either leg up.

If you forget the jump stop and first travel, say he's just a player with the ball on the wing with a pivot foot….his takeoff would be ok i think. (already forgot the video..)
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

It's a correct call.

Only possible complaint I could see here is if the officials had been passing on this call all game but decided to call in at a critical point in the game. Or if only one of the officials was identifying these plays as travels and the others were not.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Established left foot as pivot, then picked up pivot and put it back down before shooting. Easy travel call..that created a space advantage...that we need to get at any point in the game.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
Established left foot as pivot, then picked up pivot and put it back down before shooting. Easy travel call..that created a space advantage...that we need to get at any point in the game.
You may know this, just to clarify…the left foot was not "established" as the pivot foot. player caught ball with left foot on floor and right up in air. He is allowed to hop off of that left foot and land simultaneously then on both. When he does neither foot can be a pivot.

Had he put the right one on the floor right after the left, then left would have been established. The hop off one foot is legal if you do it right. you probably know that.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
You may know this, just to clarify…the left foot was not "established" as the pivot foot. player caught ball with left foot on floor and right up in air. He is allowed to hop off of that left foot and land simultaneously then on both. When he does neither foot can be a pivot.

Had he put the right one on the floor right after the left, then left would have been established. The hop off one foot is legal if you do it right. you probably know that.
So you are saying you can do a jump stop without dribbling!? If the left foot comes down first it is the pivot. He jumps off that left foot and lands with two with no dribble. I got one of these in my game last night, the kid tried to do a step back jumper without dribbling, he just hopped back and shot. That is what this kid is doing except he starts a dribble rather than shooting.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Good point!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
So you are saying you can do a jump stop without dribbling!? If the left foot comes down first it is the pivot. He jumps off that left foot and lands with two with no dribble. I got one of these in my game last night, the kid tried to do a step back jumper without dribbling, he just hopped back and shot. That is what this kid is doing except he starts a dribble rather than shooting.
If I catch ball with one foot on floor I can hop off that foot and must land simultaneously on two. I then have no pivot. If I want to dribble I have to release ball on dribble before I pick either foot up. See travel rule.

And when that left foot touches it will be "established" as pivot foot when the right one lands after it.

Last edited by BigCat; Wed Jan 25, 2017 at 12:59pm.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you are saying you can do a jump stop without dribbling!?
Of course you can.

And, there are two kinds of "jump stops" -- one allows either foot to be the pivot; one allows neither foot to be the pivot.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Of course you can.

And, there are two kinds of "jump stops" -- one allows either foot to be the pivot; one allows neither foot to be the pivot.
Yes, and which one you have depends on what? When the dribble ends.

So if I catch the ball standing on one leg that leg is not my pivot foot? I need to re-read the travel rule apparently.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if I catch the ball standing on one leg that leg is not my pivot foot?
Not yet, it's not.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, and which one you have depends on what? When the dribble ends.

So if I catch the ball standing on one leg that leg is not my pivot foot? I need to re-read the travel rule apparently.
It becomes/is established as the pivot when the right lands after it. Take a look at all of 4-44.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

How do you guys watch for travelling (visual mechanics)? From an outsider's perspective, it seems like it's a really tough call to make while trying to watch other stuff, but you guys seem to do it with no problem.

I guess it's tougher for me too because I don't know the rule. haha
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
How do you guys watch for travelling (visual mechanics)? From an outsider's perspective, it seems like it's a really tough call to make while trying to watch other stuff, but you guys seem to do it with no problem.

I guess it's tougher for me too because I don't know the rule. haha
One eye on the ball, one on the pivot foot, one on the defender, one on the approaching screener.
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
One eye on the ball, one on the pivot foot, one on the defender, one on the approaching screener.
Bob I knew you had 4 eyes...
Old Fri Jan 27, 2017, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It becomes/is established as the pivot when the right lands after it. Take a look at all of 4-44.
On the OP play, A1 catches the ball with left foot down, jumps off of it, lands with both, then pivots on his right foot, then takes off with a really small shuffle of the right foot. If I'm reading you right, the travel is because his jump stop would mean that both of his feet on the landing are his pivot. So when he pivots on the right (ie picks up the left and puts it back down) that equals a travel?