Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Easy call, glad they made it.

Question for the group, would you direct A11 in this play to leave the game under either 3-3-6 or 3-3-8?
Absolutely. Especially in a youth/high school game. Full force into a structural wall, if that's my daughter I'd want her evaluated or to sit a few minutes.

I'd expect the same by any official. A coach shouldn't be concerned by anything but his/her players safety

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

No one has commented on this... OP said, "To coaches and parents, officials' calls can sometimes be frustrating but the simultaneous call here and the ejection were impressive."

To me... coaches and parents that think it's ok to intentionally push opponents into a brick wall (yes ... thinly padded) ... "can sometimes be frustrating"

You seem to be on the side that White 15 was unfairly punished. That literally makes me sick to my stomach.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
No one has commented on this... OP said, "To coaches and parents, officials' calls can sometimes be frustrating but the simultaneous call here and the ejection were impressive."

To me... coaches and parents that think it's ok to intentionally push opponents into a brick wall (yes ... thinly padded) ... "can sometimes be frustrating"

You seem to be on the side that White 15 was unfairly punished. That literally makes me sick to my stomach.
I think the OPer meant officials calls in general can sometimes be frustrating, not this specific call. At least that is how I interpret it. Especially since OP seems to be a parent/fan of the team in the dark jersey.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps I read it wrong. if I did, I apologize. Most of his other videos have been with his team in white, so I could have assumed inappropriately.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Are we ejecting the defender because of how the player fell or because of how hard the player was pushed or both?

I am not convinced this is a slam dunk flagrant foul. Because if the player stayed somewhat on their feet are we calling anything more than an intentional?

Peace
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 11:19am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Are we ejecting the defender because of how the player fell or because of how hard the player was pushed or both?

I am not convinced this is a slam dunk flagrant foul. Because if the player stayed somewhat on their feet are we calling anything more than an intentional?

Peace

Don't play the what if game with this stuff. Two handed shove like that is flagrant in this case. Doesn't mean it always is but in this case, yes, it is
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 12:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Don't play the what if game with this stuff. Two handed shove like that is flagrant in this case. Doesn't mean it always is but in this case, yes, it is
I had a 2 handed shove that I merely called intentional.

But that was in the half-court on a rebounded ball and there was little momentum involved. On a fast break, my call would've been different.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 01:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I think it is an appropriate question. We always ask "what if" questions here. Because the contact was not a lot and was not that bad alone, but the result was bad for sure. I am just wondering if we change our minds if she never goes head first into the wall. And I am not so sure I would call a flagrant in that situation.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I think you have a great point. I think the subsequent fall into a hard wall after being pushed in the back is enough for a flagrant, followed by disqualification.

I would have done the same in this situation. Who knows what that girl will do next if she isn't tossed now.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I think you have a great point. I think the subsequent fall into a hard wall after being pushed in the back is enough for a flagrant, followed by disqualification.

I would have done the same in this situation. Who knows what that girl will do next if she isn't tossed now.
If she didn't fall into the wall - is it still worthy of disqualification?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because if the player stayed somewhat on their feet are we calling anything more than an intentional?
You can't play ifs. IF she didn't get pushed at all...

The player committing the foul is responsible for the amount of contact endured. This was a dangerous situation and I have no trouble DQing the player.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2017, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
You can't play ifs. IF she didn't get pushed at all...

The player committing the foul is responsible for the amount of contact endured. This was a dangerous situation and I have no trouble DQing the player.
Well you can if you think that makes a factor in the call. Even to call intentional foul you can consider if the contact was excessive, but this certainly was only excessive if the wall is a factor. If the player is under some control, I could see an intentional called for sure but nothing else. That is why I asked the question in the first place to see if that at all was a factor for most. It would be for me for sure.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Perhaps I read it wrong. if I did, I apologize. Most of his other videos have been with his team in white, so I could have assumed inappropriately.
The BLACK team is our team in this clip. We were all very appreciative of the officials' quick and decisive actions.

But how is this for being sick to your stomach... the coach of the WHITE team was not happy with the decision and he said of the push, quote, "That's just basketball."
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 11:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrph View Post
The BLACK team is our team in this clip. We were all very appreciative of the officials' quick and decisive actions.

But how is this for being sick to your stomach... the coach of the WHITE team was not happy with the decision and he said of the push, quote, "That's just basketball."
That coach is just hopeless. Might as well whack him.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2017, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyrph View Post

1. It's not just basketball, it's the opposite of basketball.
2. The only way 11 shoots her free throws here is if her coach used a timeout to keep her in the game. By coming onto the court like that to check on her, that's no longer optional.