Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
They are not allowed to stand.
Since when?

Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not:
Stand at the team bench while the clock is running or is stopped,
and must remain seated, except:
a. The head coach as in 10-5-1.
b. When a team member is reporting to the scorer's table.
c. During a charged time-out, as in 5-11, or the intermission between quarters
and extra periods.
d. To spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member or to
acknowledge a replaced player(s), but must immediately return to his/her
seat.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Since when?

and extra periods.
seat.
Billy, even for you that's a silly response. He can also stand during timeouts, halftime, and if he raises his hand and says "Mother, may I?"
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think people mix up this conversation. Arguing with me about a call is not what an assistant gets the rope to do. Asking me a question during a timeout where there might be some information passed, OK. But I am not having a deep conversation with many assistants about anything. I do not like talking twice to a coaching staff when the head coach is the mouth piece of his or her program. I give the HC much more leeway to discuss things. I am also not having 2 or 3 conversations at once. So I will tell the HC that and make that clear.

Also what gets on my nerves is when officials say, "Assistants will be head coaches one day....blah...blah.....blah...." Well then they will learn when they get a head coach why I only want to talk to them. Again you can be nice to everyone and still make it clear I need to talk to the HC.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Eh, I'm not that bothered. On some teams, the assistant is useful for keeping a HC in line and there's no reason not to build a rapport with them.
Exactly. I'll have a chat with an assistant anytime they ask a reasonable question at a reasonable time.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Eh, I'm not that bothered. On some teams, the assistant is useful for keeping a HC in line and there's no reason not to build a rapport with them.
Agreed.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Since when?

and extra periods.
seat.
Quote:
Billy, even for you that's a silly response. He can also stand during timeouts, halftime, and if he raises his hand and says "Mother, may I?"
Rich is right, Billy. This is just goofy, given the obvious context. It's right up there with "coaches don't call timeouts, they request them" and getting hung up on "endline" vs "baseline."
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 12:10am
High Five Master

Quote:
Rich is right, Billy. This is just goofy, given the obvious context. It's right up there with "coaches don't call timeouts, they request them" and getting hung up on "endline" vs "baseline."

Endline or baseline? I'm given to assume thems fightn words round these here parts.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 07:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Standees ...

Quote:
... the obvious context ...
The context is very obvious, and the statements to not allow assistant coaches to stand and complain are very true, but simple statements like, "They are not allowed to stand" can lead to some basketball myths, and as many here on the Forum know, I hate such myths.

Also. What rule basis do we have for allowing head coaches more latitude to complain than assistant coaches? I get the no standing part, it's in the rules, but what about the complaining part?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also. What rule basis do we have for allowing head coaches more latitude to complain than assistant coaches? I get the no standing part, it's in the rules, but what about the complaining part?
The part where our association and state powers-that-be are constantly sending memos urging us to be good game managers. If you'd like to start the precedent of not allowing the coach more latitude because it's not in the rule book, I have a feeling you're not going to like your future schedules.

I understand that you're playing devil's advocate here, but going against common sense doesn't further conversation a whole lot.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Assistant coaches should not be standing to criticize officials. That is a T, indirect to the head coach. I would give it without hesitation. As for assistants standing to talk to a player during a dead ball or just jumping up to express emotion, it doesn't bother me. I'm not looking over there.

The rules clearly support us here, though. The assistant coach, like all team personnel, are the responibility of the head coach. Only the head coach may stand.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Assistants do not get to yell at or be critical of officials. I will happily remind a head coach ONCE that his assistants are there to help him and the team not to comment to or on officiating. After that an indirect normally solves it.

I am a little more lenient on the standing issue. If they are all up and staying up coaching and yelling across the floor no. Depending on gym physical setting or nature of their activity I am willing to allow assistants to get up and walk up and down the bench to talk to their own players on the bench or to change positions to sit with a player to show them something. If there is space I ask they walk behind the bench, but if there isn't I will let them walk in front.

Standing to direct or get a kids attention momentarily isn't a big deal to me either. Just get back in your seat and make sure the head coach is the one up moving and doing.

Biggest problem I find myself and other officials in is in games (beyond when someone is just being a jack wagon), where either the head coach gets into a protracted conversation with 1 or more officials while the assistant(s) huddle up with some or all of the waiting players. OR vice versa where someone is willing to talk to an assistant about an issue and the HC is using that time as a temporary timeout.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

N.e.v.e.r.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillsburrydoboi View Post
At high school level, do you allow assistant coaches to stand and yell at officials?
I think you would get more yes answers to the question, "do you allow your wife to have other men in your bed and have sex with them."