The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Is It Time for Replays at the High School Level?

Seems like more and more we are seeing those dastardly little video cameras recording our mistakes for placement in the local paper and wonderful YouTube.

I have always said it would be impossible to bring video replay technology to the high school level simply because of the logistics but it seems almost like we are being forced into it with plays like the ones from California and Florida.

Would having the ability to review these plays on the coaches cameras (forget the Dad in the stands) make the game better or would it just open a can of worms?
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

The team with the better cameraman has an advantage in getting calls overturned. (I'm sure he'll manage tech difficulties if he gets a shot that disfavors his own team.) I certainly wouldn't like to see games decided by who has the better cameraman.
________
Vaporizer wiki

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:35pm.
Old Tue Dec 09, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'm done if that happens.

Not because I wouldn't want to be overturned. I'd like to be able to get everything right. But that's just too much.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 12:26am
Archaic Power Monger

No freakin' way. I know there is limited replay in some HS basketball playoff games and I believe even that is over the top. We (as in a collective society) seem to be forgetting the purpose of high school athletics.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it's going to happen at most schools because of the equipment required. But even the Little League World Series has started using it, so I'm sure some places will want to use it if it becomes an option.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 05:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

In general, I say no.

But if there is $ there, and the PTB want it, it just might get voted in.

The cost for a fudimentary system wouldn't be very much. If you find the right camera, the cost might be:
  • $1,200 for the high-definition camera
  • $400 for a nice flat panel display
  • $250 hardware to ensure the equipment is protected
  • $50 for cables, etc

So that under $2,000. Then a neutral 3rd party person has to be paid to use the camera. Have him up high in a press box or something, pay him something like 75% of a game fee, and train them how to focus on the play. Wide angle at first and very quick zoom into following the ball. It won't be perfect, but a trial might need to be done to examine the effectiveness.

I guess I'm saying that if you have a rich HS association, it could just very well be possible.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Schools can barely afford to pay for the kid's gear and for putting the games on. No way can they implement what is required to do this. The Juggler's cost assessmnet is way off. There is no way you can do effective IR with one camera in the press box. That camera can provide NO definitive views of either sideline or goal line. It would be of only limited use on most other plays in the field of play. Perhaps helping on SOME catch/no catch or fumble.no fumble situations. But that would be it.

NFL and NCAA experiences have even proven that IR is not the final answer and does not always get it right either.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Schools can barely afford to pay for the kid's gear and for putting the games on. No way can they implement what is required to do this. The Juggler's cost assessmnet is way off. There is no way you can do effective IR with one camera in the press box. That camera can provide NO definitive views of either sideline or goal line. It would be of only limited use on most other plays in the field of play. Perhaps helping on SOME catch/no catch or fumble.no fumble situations. But that would be it.

NFL and NCAA experiences have even proven that IR is not the final answer and does not always get it right either.
What you're saying is correct as far as it goes: one camera in a HS game can't replicate the angles you get in the game of the week.

But the argument for IR at this level isn't to match what IR does for NCAA or NFL. The question is: can we improve the officiating incrementally? You don't need all the angles for that.

Think of it this way: the blown calls that notoriously show up on YouTube typically don't have great angles either. If HS IR can eliminate calls that are obviously wrong from ANY angle, then it would serve its function.

I'm not in favor of the idea, but we won't be able to squash it until we understand and defeat the best argument for it.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Think of it this way: the blown calls that notoriously show up on YouTube typically don't have great angles either. If HS IR can eliminate calls that are obviously wrong from ANY angle, then it would serve its function.
Ah no, they do not.

They show one angle. And while it may appear to be an incorrect call from that angle, it may be an entirely different call from the official's angle and that may well be the correct angle.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

No!
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

If it is done half-arse, which it would have to be due to costs, etc, it is gooing to be more problematic than helpful. Video would be great for the crew to use in their own development and training. Let's get a system in place that assures EVERY crew of getting video of every game they work before worrying about using it in the middle of a game
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 09:00am
Chain of Fools

The NCHSAA is recommending that every HS hire a certified athletic trainer if they participate in football, soccer, or lacrosse.....and people are aghast at the cost to the school systems. We've had 3 or 4 kids DIE this year in N.C. while participating in football.

Who in the world - we're not talking Mater Dei or Charlotte Catholic type schools here- is going to afford to put video replay equipment in every HS stadium? This is beyond bizaare.

Its HS football for crying out loud, not life or death. Everyone wants to get it right but some folks need to get over the fact that this is NOT the NFL.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 09:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post

You're completely wrong! I've already seen video implemented for this cost, with first hand knowledge, too.

Secondly, if you read my post, I said that if $ is there... I now that some HS programs get thousands of people to games. Those programs could do it. They could pay for the equipment, no problem.

Furthermore, I happen to have 3 years' experience being a television camera operator. If you get somebody that knows what they're doing, you could get great shots. I've worked with award-winning professionals in this area.

I also have 5 years experience working with HD video including multiple-angle views of the same feed.

Granted it would never be of the quality that we're used to in the bigs, but it can be done.

What experience do you have with setting up video camera systems, HD systems, and with televising live sports?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I don't know about your area but the big thing now in southern Michigan is puting in new artificial turf fields with costs of over a million dollars. within recent years four new fields have gone in. If they can afford theses fields then they can afford $2,000 to $3,000 for cameras.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Let's see here. We have CEO's stealing millions and driving multi billion dollar corporations into the ditch while throwing elaborate orgies, we have politicians selling senate seats, we have an economy in the tank with millions unemployed, we have retirement benefits worth one fourth of their previous values and we have extremist crazies trying to kill us from caves a world away and yet people are so worried about getting the right call in a meaningless HS game that there is talk of installing video replay? Now I'm worried.

Last edited by kdf5; Wed Dec 10, 2008 at 10:37am.