The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

At high school level, do you allow assistant coaches to stand and yell at officials?

At high school level, do you allow assistant coaches to stand and yell at officials?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

No. To both. They are not allowed to stand. And they are not allowed to yell at officials while sitting.

Doing one or the other will get a warning from me, to the head coach, the first time. Second time is a T.

Doing both at the same time will likely not get a warning, just the T.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 12:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

At no level do I allow that. And at any level where a head coach is doing that, he will be addressed

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Is said AC on the bench or in the stands?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
no. To both. They are not allowed to stand. And they are not allowed to yell at officials while sitting.

Doing one or the other will get a warning from me, to the head coach, the first time. Second time is a t.

Doing both at the same time will likely not get a warning, just the t.
+1
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 03:01pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillsburrydoboi View Post
Uh no.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not allow assistants to yell at me period. Let alone stand and do so.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillsburrydoboi View Post
Is this a joke? Hell no.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
At no level do I allow that.
This.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

negative.
but how about a productive discussion about dealing with assistants...
we were discussing this today and i'm not sure of the OP's reasoning for asking, but there is a big gray area with assistant coaches.

i'd like to think that most have a job to do, else they wouldn't be there, and if approached in a kindly manner, with a legitimate question...i want to believe that they are asking for the benefit of the team and head coach while he/she could be busy coaching or instructing in a timeout. in cases like this, i think a lot of officials are quick to treat them like crap just because they are assistants and don't give them the time of day.
but obviously, there is zero to no tolerance for assistants that want to try to officiate or berate officials from the bench as the OP asked. but in those cases, sometimes officials can go the opposite way and completely ignore that because of the fact that they are assistants and don't give them the time of day, no matter what they do. here, it's our responsibility to 'nip that in the bud' and take care of business.
stop it when it starts or you'll be listening to it all game.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
negative.
we were discussing this today and i'm not sure of the OP's reasoning for asking, but there is a big gray area with assistant coaches.

i'd like to think that most have a job to do, else they wouldn't be there, and if approached in a kindly manner, with a legitimate question...i want to believe that they are asking for the benefit of the team and head coach while he/she could be busy coaching or instructing in a timeout. in cases like this, i think a lot of officials are quick to treat them like crap just because they are assistants and don't give them the time of day.
but obviously, there is zero to no tolerance for assistants that want to try to officiate or berate officials from the bench as the OP asked. but in those cases, sometimes officials can go the opposite way and completely ignore that because of the fact that they are assistants and don't give them the time of day, no matter what they do. here, it's our responsibility to 'nip that in the bud' and take care of business.
stop it when it starts or you'll be listening to it all game.
I'll answer a polite question from anyone, but I will not spend a minute dealing with an assistant who wants to argue. Second the question turns into that, I'm done with him/her the rest of the game.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
negative.
They may have a job to do ... but that job does not, in any manner, involve arguing with or complaining to the officials. There is no gray area here at all. If there is for you, I would submit that you're doing it wrong.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'll answer a polite question from anyone, but I will not spend a minute dealing with an assistant who wants to argue. Second the question turns into that, I'm done with him/her the rest of the game.
i've seen this a lot too! getting "tricked" into a full blown convo with an assistant! sometimes you do have to take a step back and think, "wait a minute, you're not the HC"

this happened to me in a V game earlier this year. it was a 30+ pt blowout and the JV kids were in, and the HC was down at the end of the bench talking to his V kids. i made a call at Lead and came up to report and the JV coaches weren't thrilled with it (up 30) and i wanted to reinforce my call instead of just ignoring. but after a while i had to catch myself, as they were the assistants...
the HC didn't see the play or even care. but that is tough when a V game becomes a JV game
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
i've seen this a lot too! getting "tricked" into a full blown convo with an assistant! sometimes you do have to take a step back and think, "wait a minute, you're not the HC"
If you can't answer an assistant with a Yes, No, or a number ... he needs to be talking to his coach, and not you.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
If you can't answer an assistant with a Yes, No, or a number ... he needs to be talking to his coach, and not you.
Eh, I'm not that bothered. On some teams, the assistant is useful for keeping a HC in line and there's no reason not to build a rapport with them.