The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Coach counting

Would you allow a coach to count out loud? 5 sec inbounding count, backcourt and even 3 seconds. What about an assistant who says he is just coaching his players?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

I would not allow it unless it matched my visible count. On a 3-second count if that team's on defense I'm putting a stop to it immediately.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Had a coach in a summer league game who complained about 3-seconds during a time-out. On the immediate next live ball he started counting out loud. I whacked him.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

We got into this (not sure if we we talked about here or not) in our association a few years back. We had a pressing varsity coach that would stunt and change defenses based on the shot clock and their counts on back court and inbounds situations. Never was an issue with 3 in the key. Basically as an association we ended up going with they could count if the counting was for them, but the first time a coach or player complained about an inbounds or back court call they were getting zero latitude. In the end I don't think we ever t'd up a kid or coach after we sorted it all out. Their argument was basically that we don't T up teams for counting down the shot clock on offense you can't t them up for counting on defense and for wanting to use the counts to communicate changes to their players.

Before that the coach and team were getting multiple warnings and T's for counting and then T's for arguing about their counting. They then filed an official with our governing body, the sport governing body and the conference. that led to the discussions mentioned above.

Now in almost any other situation I'ld tell the coach/bench to cut it out once then T. If you've got some jack wagon standing there going 2,3,4,5 on in the key calls or screaming 5 5 5 over and over again on an out of bounds we would get one semi polite conversation about stopping and then I'm T ing it up after.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Had a coach in a summer league game who complained about 3-seconds during a time-out. On the immediate next live ball he started counting out loud. I whacked him.

Yup. Same thing for me in a varsity game about 5 years back. I whacked him when he hit 3 -- gave him something else to complain about.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post
Would you allow a coach to count out loud? 5 sec inbounding count, backcourt and even 3 seconds. What about an assistant who says he is just coaching his players?
It would be an immediate stop sign if he's doing it because he's figured out I can't count. Then T if he does it again.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I would not allow it unless it matched my visible count. On a 3-second count if that team's on defense I'm putting a stop to it immediately.
I'm not allowing it even if it matches my visible count. Too much room for shenanigans. Then again, you could always just allow it and call the T when the shenanigans ensue.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 10:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
It would be an immediate stop sign if he's doing it because he's figured out I can't count. Then T if he does it again.
I don't do stop signs, but I'm definitely shutting it down with a quiet word.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Heard a ref say to a coach in a middle school game: "when you count out loud, I lose track and have to start over."
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 11:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Heard a ref say to a coach in a middle school game: "when you count out loud, I lose track and have to start over."
A funny line, and one that might work at lower level games. Very experienced refs might be able to get away with it in a varsity game if they have an established rapport with the coach.

Newer officials should stay far far away from comments like that, though.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

I would stop it immediately. If their count doesn't match my count (which it probably won't), then they are also disadvantaging the other team - potentially making the other team rush because they think they are about to violate. Completely unsportsmanlike.

If the coach is doing it to trigger changes in his defense, he can figure out trigger words to communicate this without counting out loud. Hell, I wouldn't even care if he used the number on the count to trigger (i.e. at his 8 he yells 8 to trigger a trap) - just don't actively count out loud.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 06:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loners4me View Post

Five Seconds: It depends. Is he doing it when a) his team has the ball for a Throw-in, or b) when his opponent has the ball for a Throw-in? Item (a), I could care less. Item (b), he could end up with a TF.

Three Seconds: It depends. Is he doing it when a) his team has the ball in its Frontcourt, or b) when his opponent has the ball in its Frontcourt? Item (a), I could care less. Item (b), he could end up with a TF.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 01, 2018, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Five Seconds: It depends. Is he doing it when a) his team has the ball for a Throw-in, or b) when his opponent has the ball for a Throw-in? Item (a), I could care less. Item (b), he could end up with a TF.

Three Seconds: It depends. Is he doing it when a) his team has the ball in its Frontcourt, or b) when his opponent has the ball in its Frontcourt? Item (a), I could care less. Item (b), he could end up with a TF.

MTD, Sr.
Exactly what MTD said.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2018, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coach Count Von Count ...

If the coach looks like this, he can count as often as he likes. We all know that he can't control himself.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 01, 2018, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
I would stop it immediately. If their count doesn't match my count (which it probably won't), then they are also disadvantaging the other team - potentially making the other team rush because they think they are about to violate. Completely unsportsmanlike.
I hear what you are saying and do not necessarily disagree. However, if you consider it "completely unsportsmanlike", how do you handle the situation of the crowd counting down a clock prematurely in an effort to influence the opponent? Maybe not the same but that certainly seems "completely unsportsmanlike" also. NBD, it is an extreme analogy and I'm not busting your chops. Just a thought I had.