Thread: Coach counting
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

We got into this (not sure if we we talked about here or not) in our association a few years back. We had a pressing varsity coach that would stunt and change defenses based on the shot clock and their counts on back court and inbounds situations. Never was an issue with 3 in the key. Basically as an association we ended up going with they could count if the counting was for them, but the first time a coach or player complained about an inbounds or back court call they were getting zero latitude. In the end I don't think we ever t'd up a kid or coach after we sorted it all out. Their argument was basically that we don't T up teams for counting down the shot clock on offense you can't t them up for counting on defense and for wanting to use the counts to communicate changes to their players.

Before that the coach and team were getting multiple warnings and T's for counting and then T's for arguing about their counting. They then filed an official with our governing body, the sport governing body and the conference. that led to the discussions mentioned above.

Now in almost any other situation I'ld tell the coach/bench to cut it out once then T. If you've got some jack wagon standing there going 2,3,4,5 on in the key calls or screaming 5 5 5 over and over again on an out of bounds we would get one semi polite conversation about stopping and then I'm T ing it up after.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!