The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Coach counting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102083-coach-counting.html)

loners4me Wed Jan 11, 2017 09:21am

Coach counting

Would you allow a coach to count out loud? 5 sec inbounding count, backcourt and even 3 seconds. What about an assistant who says he is just coaching his players?

Rich Wed Jan 11, 2017 09:28am

I would not allow it unless it matched my visible count. On a 3-second count if that team's on defense I'm putting a stop to it immediately.

Raymond Wed Jan 11, 2017 09:32am

Had a coach in a summer league game who complained about 3-seconds during a time-out. On the immediate next live ball he started counting out loud. I whacked him.

Pantherdreams Wed Jan 11, 2017 09:37am

We got into this (not sure if we we talked about here or not) in our association a few years back. We had a pressing varsity coach that would stunt and change defenses based on the shot clock and their counts on back court and inbounds situations. Never was an issue with 3 in the key. Basically as an association we ended up going with they could count if the counting was for them, but the first time a coach or player complained about an inbounds or back court call they were getting zero latitude. In the end I don't think we ever t'd up a kid or coach after we sorted it all out. Their argument was basically that we don't T up teams for counting down the shot clock on offense you can't t them up for counting on defense and for wanting to use the counts to communicate changes to their players.

Before that the coach and team were getting multiple warnings and T's for counting and then T's for arguing about their counting. They then filed an official with our governing body, the sport governing body and the conference. that led to the discussions mentioned above.

Now in almost any other situation I'ld tell the coach/bench to cut it out once then T. If you've got some jack wagon standing there going 2,3,4,5 on in the key calls or screaming 5 5 5 over and over again on an out of bounds we would get one semi polite conversation about stopping and then I'm T ing it up after.

Rich Wed Jan 11, 2017 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 997018)
Had a coach in a summer league game who complained about 3-seconds during a time-out. On the immediate next live ball he started counting out loud. I whacked him.

Yup. Same thing for me in a varsity game about 5 years back. I whacked him when he hit 3 -- gave him something else to complain about.

BigCat Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me (Post 997014)
Would you allow a coach to count out loud? 5 sec inbounding count, backcourt and even 3 seconds. What about an assistant who says he is just coaching his players?

It would be an immediate stop sign if he's doing it because he's figured out I can't count. Then T if he does it again.

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 997016)
I would not allow it unless it matched my visible count. On a 3-second count if that team's on defense I'm putting a stop to it immediately.

I'm not allowing it even if it matches my visible count. Too much room for shenanigans. Then again, you could always just allow it and call the T when the shenanigans ensue.

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 997029)
It would be an immediate stop sign if he's doing it because he's figured out I can't count. Then T if he does it again.

I don't do stop signs, but I'm definitely shutting it down with a quiet word.

so cal lurker Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:03am

Heard a ref say to a coach in a middle school game: "when you count out loud, I lose track and have to start over."

Adam Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 997054)
Heard a ref say to a coach in a middle school game: "when you count out loud, I lose track and have to start over."

A funny line, and one that might work at lower level games. Very experienced refs might be able to get away with it in a varsity game if they have an established rapport with the coach.

Newer officials should stay far far away from comments like that, though.

RefCT Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:10am

I would stop it immediately. If their count doesn't match my count (which it probably won't), then they are also disadvantaging the other team - potentially making the other team rush because they think they are about to violate. Completely unsportsmanlike.

If the coach is doing it to trigger changes in his defense, he can figure out trigger words to communicate this without counting out loud. Hell, I wouldn't even care if he used the number on the count to trigger (i.e. at his 8 he yells 8 to trigger a trap) - just don't actively count out loud.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Jan 11, 2017 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me (Post 997014)

Five Seconds: It depends. Is he doing it when a) his team has the ball for a Throw-in, or b) when his opponent has the ball for a Throw-in? Item (a), I could care less. Item (b), he could end up with a TF.

Three Seconds: It depends. Is he doing it when a) his team has the ball in its Frontcourt, or b) when his opponent has the ball in its Frontcourt? Item (a), I could care less. Item (b), he could end up with a TF.

MTD, Sr.

DrPete Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 997126)
Five Seconds: It depends. Is he doing it when a) his team has the ball for a Throw-in, or b) when his opponent has the ball for a Throw-in? Item (a), I could care less. Item (b), he could end up with a TF.

Three Seconds: It depends. Is he doing it when a) his team has the ball in its Frontcourt, or b) when his opponent has the ball in its Frontcourt? Item (a), I could care less. Item (b), he could end up with a TF.

MTD, Sr.

Exactly what MTD said.

BillyMac Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:51pm

Coach Count Von Count ...

If the coach looks like this, he can count as often as he likes. We all know that he can't control himself.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.l...=0&w=300&h=300

bucky Sat Dec 01, 2018 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefCT (Post 997058)
I would stop it immediately. If their count doesn't match my count (which it probably won't), then they are also disadvantaging the other team - potentially making the other team rush because they think they are about to violate. Completely unsportsmanlike.

I hear what you are saying and do not necessarily disagree. However, if you consider it "completely unsportsmanlike", how do you handle the situation of the crowd counting down a clock prematurely in an effort to influence the opponent? Maybe not the same but that certainly seems "completely unsportsmanlike" also. NBD, it is an extreme analogy and I'm not busting your chops. Just a thought I had.