The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 01:08am
NFHS Official

End of game situation

Saw this tonight.

Team A inbounding ball on endline in backcourt, 1.9 seconds left, needing to go length of court. Run a play, and makes a long pass to A1 at 3 point line in frontcourt. As A1 catches the ball, the horn sounds. Clock was started early. Clock was started as the pass was in the air. What do you do?
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 01:34am
Never Stop Learning

2009-2010 Interpretations #11 should help answer this.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 05:59am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder View Post
2009-2010 Interpretations #11 should help answer this.
SITUATION 11: Team B scores a goal to take the lead by one point. A1 immediately requests and is granted a timeout with three seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Following the time-out, Team A is awarded the ball for a throw-in from anywhere along the end line. A1 passes the ball to A2, who is also outside the boundary; A2 passes the ball to A1 who is inbounds and running the length of the court. The timer mistakenly starts the clock when A2 touches A1’s pass while standing outside the boundary. An official notices the clock starting on A2’s touch (a), before A2 releases the throw-in pass to A1, (b), while A2’s throw-in pass is in flight to A1, or (c), as soon as A1 catches the throw-in pass. RULING: This is an obvious timing mistake and may be corrected. In (a) and (b), the official shall blow the whistle, stop play and direct the timer to put three seconds on the game clock. Since the throw-in had not ended, play is resumed with a Team A throw-in from anywhere along the end line. In (c), the official may put the correct time on the clock, but must make some allowance for the touching by A1 – likely 10ths of a second, if displayed. The ball is put in play nearest to where it was located when the stoppage occurred to correct the timing mistake. A “do over” is not permitted in (c), since the throw-in had ended. (4-36; 5-10-1)
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Saw this tonight.

Team A inbounding ball on endline in backcourt, 1.9 seconds left, needing to go length of court. Run a play, and makes a long pass to A1 at 3 point line in frontcourt. As A1 catches the ball, the horn sounds. Clock was started early. Clock was started as the pass was in the air. What do you do?
If it was close enough, between ball being dead for end of period or end of throw in, I'm starting over. Although I would be open to running some 10ths off the clock and giving A the ball at the spot closest to where caught.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 09:39am
NFHS Official

The catch and horn were almost simultaneous. They put 1.9 back on and replayed.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The catch and horn were almost simultaneous. They put 1.9 back on and replayed.
This was almost definitely the correct way to resolve it.

West Houston Mike
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Coach here. Had this happen once, not the 4th quarter. 2.4 on the clock, have the ball near the division line. Have my big guy on the block. Inbounder throws to my big guy who catches and shoots a little fadaway and releases just after the buzzer sounds. Time between catch and release was probably around one second. Officials convene and after some discussion decide that it was a timing error and we retry from 2.4. Needless to say we didn't get as good of a shot off on the redo.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:10am
Never Stop Learning

This is why a redo is not the answer. Part C says if throw in is over go to spot of first touch and take some time off the clock. I would take off 3/10ths and in bound from end line closest to where the ball was first touched. You lost your element of surprise. Why should you be penalized for a timing mistake.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is why a redo is not the answer. Part C says if throw in is over go to spot of first touch and take some time off the clock. I would take off 3/10ths and in bound from end line closest to where the ball was first touched. You lost your element of surprise. Why should you be penalized for a timing mistake.
Why would you take 3/10ths off when the poster states that the time from catch to release and the horn sounding was about one second?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:12am
Never Stop Learning

Because the only definite knowledge I have is that it takes 3/10ths of a second to catch the ball. Any more or less I would be guessing as the clock was not correct anyway.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:17am
AremRed

Quote:
it takes 3/10ths of a second to catch the ball
Do you have a source for this?
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:23am
Never Stop Learning

5-2-5
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:26am
We don't rent pigs

.3 is assigned as the amount of time required to catch and shoot. There is no shot to consider in the OP.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:29am
AremRed

Quote:
5-2-5
That's a catch-and-shoot, not just a catch.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 01:30am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
.3 is assigned as the amount of time required to catch and shoot. There is no shot to consider in the OP.
To clarify for others, 0.3 is NOT enough time to catch and shoot under NFHS rules, you must have 0.4 seconds or more.