The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Last week-end I was watching two veteran officials work a Boys Varsity game. Cross-town rivals, close game, everything you can ask for. The game was tied with the Visitors at the foul line. Home team 10 fouls, Visiting Team 6 fouls. Visiting team shooting double bonus. 1st shot good, second shot a miss. The ball bounced off the rim and to the baseline corner on the Trail side. One player from each team went for the ball. Home team player A1 got hooked up with Visiting team player B1 as they were both going for the ball. It looked like A1 pulled B1 down as their arms were hooked together, and thus B1 fell out of bounds.

The Trail official blew his whistle, with his hand going straight in the air...but no fist. As the Trail official was walking to the bench he blew his whistle again for a Technical foul on B2. The Lead official walked over to the scorer's table to see what his partner had.

(I went into the officials locker room after the game, so I know what transpired.)

At this point the Trail official said he blew his whistle the first time because he thought he had a correctable error situation. The Trail official thought the fouls were reversed and the Visiting team B should not have been shooting. The Lead cleared that up and assured him the correct number of fouls were shot. Now, that explained the whistle with Trails hand in the air. Lead asked Trail what he had, out of bounds on B1 or a foul on A1. Trail said he didn't see it, he was just blowing the whistle for the correctable error situation. Oh and by the way, B2 player had said F*** to no one in particular as Trail was walking to the scorer's table. (He could have been upset that there was no apparent foul call on A1) The Lead official said, "Ok, I think we have a foul on A1 for pulling B1 out of bounds...then we have a technical on B2 for profanity...we shoot them in the order they happened." Trail said, "Ok, since I blew the whistle I'll sell it to the coaches."

The two officials got both coaches together to explain what they had. Surprisingly, no coach questioned the foul call even though the Trail didn't put his fist in the air...but I know we have all probably forgot to close our fist at least once, so it was an easy sell.

Here is where this Forum came into play. Team B coach asked the Trail official what his player had said. Trail official said he used profanity. Team B coach persisted, so the Lead official (using a line he got from this forum) said, "Coach, the word started with "F" and ended in "uck" and it wasn't "Firetruck"." He later said the Coach wasn't amused, just as was earlier stated here.

Anyway, an interesting situation that was handled by two veteran officials. It showed me even Veteran officials can make mistakes, just fix them fairly.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 03:37pm
Administrator

T admitted he was stopping the game because he thought that he had a correctable error situation, not because of a foul by A1 or out of bounds by B1. The correct procedure was to charge B2 for a TF (the F-word is always a disqualification as far as I am concerned). Team A gets two free throws and the ball at the division line across opposite side of the S/T Table.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 03:41pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
T admitted he was stopping the game because he thought that he had a correctable error situation, not because of a foul by A1 or out of bounds by B1. The correct procedure was to charge B2 for a TF (the F-word is always a disqualification as far as I am concerned). Team A gets two free throws and the ball at the division line across opposite side of the S/T Table.
I can live with that. Sounds right, Mark.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

correct procedure

T only "admitted" the reason he was stopping the game to L. No one else knew. Why not come together as these two did, and get it right?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 04:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If B1 fell OOB while touching the ball, the official could have just been signalling the violation which, of course, became irrelevent with the T. If B1 was not touching the ball, you have an inadvertent whistle which, of course, becomes irrelevent with the T.

Either way, I don't think you should have a foul on A1 if neither official was going to call that foul in the first place.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 04:45pm
In Memoriam

Re: correct procedure

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
T only "admitted" the reason he was stopping the game to L. No one else knew. Why not come together as these two did, and get it right?
RookieDude,
You said it yourself.
T ... admitted to what he saw/didn't see.
Then he changed his call.
He could've gone AP for outa bounds unless Lead saw who touched it.
Lead never made a call. He made one up.
That's wrong.
They both screwed up.
But, at times we do try to cover our backs, don't we.
Just because no one is yelling at us, doesn't mean we done good.
mick
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Disqualification?

Quote:
Disqualification for the "F" word and not directed at anyone in particular? I guess I've been to lenient...NOT!

P.S. Never, ever listen to a Limp Bizcuit CD!

Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Disqualification?

Quote:
Originally posted by DanIvey
Quote:
Disqualification for the "F" word and not directed at anyone in particular? I guess I've been to lenient...NOT!

P.S. Never, ever listen to a Limp Bizcuit CD!

The Dans agree. I'll let the occasional F***, Oh sh*t,
and other *non-directed* and *mostly unheard* obsenities go.
Of course, direct them at anyone or say it loud enough for
the first row to hear & we've got a T.

As for this thing where the coach demands to know exactly
what his player said, I beleive it's a power game played
by the coach. If the coach didn't hear what was said I
feel no obligation to tell him anything other than
a profanity was used, and he ain't going to get me to
repeat it. Once you've told him what was said you open
yourself up to "You T'ed him for THAT??!!"

[Edited by Dan_ref on Feb 14th, 2001 at 09:44 PM]
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Using the F word should be no question as far as a T goes. What better example of 10-3-8b do you need? Why is a coach mad at the ref about calling this one?
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Disqualification?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
The Dans agree. I'll let the occasional F***, Oh sh*t,
and other *non-directed* and *mostly unheard* obsenities go.

[Edited by Dan_ref on Feb 14th, 2001 at 09:44 PM] [/B]
I usually give the "hairy eyeball" for this. It gets the message across without embarassing anyone, and it even worked on one coach the other day!
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 12:48am
Administrator

I would like to comment on the use of the F-word.

I am 49 years old and a member of the free speech movement of the 60's and 70's that has held true to his convictions and have not become politically correct. I will defend to the death the First Amendment except for libel, slander, and falsely yell fire in a crowded theater. I do not believe in censorship in any shape or form. Having said that let me say that one must exercise responsibility (not self censorship) when choosing the words that one uses to express themselves.

I am a structural design engineer and my father was a carpenter for over fifty years. I have been on construction sites all of my life (it seems) and I would describe my language as colorful at times. That means that I can curl your hair if it is straight and straighten it is curly, etc., etc.

The player who uses the F-word should be commended for exercising his/her First Amendment rights during a basketball game (or anyother sporting event), but there is a price to pay for not conducting him/herself in a sportsmanlike manner. Why? A basketball game is not a democracy. Due to my business I also can substitute teach mathematics and physics in my local school district and today's students do not understand the concept that a classroom is not a democracy. A classroom is a dictatorship and the teacher is the dictator.

Over the last thirty years or so this country has seen a decline in civility in all segments of life. But good manners and good sportmanship is timeless. If one of my students uses the F-word, that student is done for the day in my class. The use of incidental profane language in my classroom or on the sporting field will be dealt with appropriate penalty (TF, yellow card, restricted to the bench for baseball and softball).

There is no excuse for vulgar language in sports. Fred Horgan, a former president of IAABO and Canadian representative to FIBA, has always said that we officials are the keepers of the game of basketball and hold the integrity of the game in our hands, not the players or coaches. And we must step and take that responsibility.

Would I lose any sleep over disqualifying B2 for his incidental use of the F-word. Furthermore, if the coach ask you what the player said it is all right and necessary for you to tell him exactly what the player said. If you do not want to actually say the F-word tell the coach that his player used the F-word and how the player used it. You should always tell the coach exactly what the player said if the coach asks and you should always report exactly what the player or coach (if it is a coach that is the guilty party) in your game report if a report is required. You cannot be diplomatic in a game report. The authorities need to know exactly what happened so that proper action can be taken against the guilty parties.

I apologize for getting on my soap box but if an official is not willing to do his/her job because everybody uses profanity now, then maybe it is time for that official to consider hang-up the whistle.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Using the F word should be no question as far as a T goes. What better example of 10-3-8b do you need? Why is a coach mad at the ref about calling this one?
A "T" yes, but "Disqualification"? Would you be "mad" if a ref disqualified a player for that game, and the subsequent game (since it is a disqualification), for saying the "F" word after he missed a lay-up?
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Profanity

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
A "T" yes, but "Disqualification"? Would you be "mad" if a ref disqualified a player for that game, and the subsequent game (since it is a disqualification), for saying the "F" word after he missed a lay-up?
I would be more than mad. I would take it straight to the league if we got a DQ off one profanity, whether after a missed layup or a foul call. 10-3-8 is not a flagrant, and one explosion is not enough to warrant a DQ. The rule says T, that's precisely what it should be. I have to take strong issue with Mark D's postion on this one. It seems to be creating a new rule where a clear rule alrready exists.

My initial comment above dealt only with a coach being mad about getting a T for this. If this situation doesn't fit the rule, what does?!!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Mark DeNucci, Sr --

I am wondering if your remarks are aimed at my comment about "using the hairy eyeball". I assure you, I NEVER let the F-word go, or any profanity of any kind, but especially not the F-word. I do, however, upon occasion, give only the above referenced H.B. if the word is so quiet that literally no one hears except me. This is usually the S-word, or the D-word, I think since most people save the F-word for angry expression.

I completely agree that profanity is inappropriate and should not be tolerated in any way in sports. My personal opinion is that it should never be tolerated anywhere, but apparently you and I don't agree about that. But that's fine. Off the floor, out of the gym, we do live in a democracy and you are free to express yourself however you choose. Basketball is NOT a democracy, as you so aptly point out.

Still, I think the goal of no profanity can sometimes be achieved without giving a T if a kid gets the message that I am observing closely and this stuff matters. I know my experience in these matters is limited, and it may be that at the higher levels of play, I will be handling this differently. However, for me right now, it works sometimes to give only the warning look. I guess it's sort of like giving the coach the stop sign. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but when it does, it's the right thing to do.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 01:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Levels

I think it depends on the levels. Now I realize that some of you might jump on be because of this, but the level does matter. As I have stated before, I do mostly varsity, and doing varsity you get louder gyms, more intense games and just plain more jabbing back and forth between players and official. You have to tolerate more because if you throw someone out, just like the Supreme Court, your decisions will be evaluated by others. Now at the varsity level you are going to hear some profanity, not necessarily towards you as an official, but at least towards fellow teammates and sometimes to other players. Now, the problem is that you will not always hear who said what or if profanity is used, it might not be directed at you at all and no one is going to hear it but maybe a couple of people on the court. If you give a T for that, you are going to have problems. And even sometimes coaches will use profanity while talking to you, but it will not always be at you or even about you. Now, I agree the lower you go in level the less tolerent you should be, because a better example should be set at those level. But when you get to varsity and college games, you have to adjust or you will not be there very long.