The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 01:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm just trying to find a separation between doing our jobs and doing the jobs of parents, ADs, etc.
We all do, but there are some things we do (part of our jobs) that are in response to things that don't actually affect the game (tobacco use is another). We do need to be careful not to overstep our bounds.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 01:46pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Now you are getting into site management! Yes, we can request police/AD's/administrator to remove unruly spectators and that's usually the way it happens because they rarely will do it on their own. But players, coaches and bench personnel are under our jurisdiction. If we penalize a coach and after the game the administration decides to suspend him from coaching for a while that's up to them. But if the coach's behavior needs to be addressed and you feel it is not your concern, go ahead. Request the police, AD, principal or custodian to come out and take care of it for you.
I didn't say you treat the two situations the same, I was pointing out that officials do not have to handle everything going on in the gym themselves.

I don't have a strong opinion either way.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
In your situation the coach crossed the line from "being an ass to his players" to "disturbing the game by tossing his clipboard across the floor".

Again... trying to make a distinction between doing our jobs and doing the jobs of others. Which may be impossible without it being a HTBT thing.
Maybe this is what you are trying to get at: Our job is to ensure the rules, regulations and guidelines of the NFHS and our state association are being carried out during our jurisdiction of the contest. Our state association may have modifications to the NFHS or additions (such as the 5 qtr. limit) that we have to be aware of and know how to penalize. High schools adopt those same R, R and G's into their athletic policies but the school as well may add some of their own regulations that are not our responsibility. For example, a high school in your area may have a policy that if a coach in any way demeans, ridicules or "hurts the feelings" of a student athlete in an athletic contest he/she is subject to a fine or suspension. That "school" policy does not relieve us from upholding the code of conduct of the NFHS and state association because we are not required to know or enforce any such school policies. A coach could be really giving his team a verbal lashing during a time out that may violate the school policy but in our opinion may not have crossed the line of the NFHS or OHSAA. But if it did, we may have to at least address the coach or even penalize the conduct at the time it occurs and the school will do what they have to do in a day or two following the contest. As Adam and others have said, a great deal of discretion applies. And I might add, in most situations it would be good to confer with our partners and be in agreement before taking any action. We don't need any "lone rangers" out there. JRutledge will not want to work with you! (And I don't blame him)

Last edited by billyu2; Fri Dec 16, 2016 at 06:39pm.
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 09:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Now you are getting into site management! Yes, we can request police/AD's/administrator to remove unruly spectators and that's usually the way it happens because they rarely will do it on their own. But players, coaches and bench personnel are under our jurisdiction. If we penalize a coach and after the game the administration decides to suspend him from coaching for a while that's up to them. But if the coach's behavior needs to be addressed and you feel it is not your concern, go ahead. Request the police, AD, principal or custodian to come out and take care of it for you.
If a coach is doing something inappropriate, then that is on them to not have them coach. Not our job and nothing you are going to say is going to change that basic feeling. Now if you want to do something, be my guest. But to suggest that this is our role and never telling us what is "inappropriate" in most cases just does not do it for me. There are a lot of things people find wrong that are not easily defined.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 10:07am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Maybe this is what you are trying to get at: Our job is to ensure the rules, regulations and guidelines of the NFHS and our state association are being carried out during our jurisdiction of the contest. Our state association may have modifications to the NFHS or additions (such as the 5 qtr. limit) that we have to be aware of and know how to penalize. High schools adopt those same R, R and G's into their athletic policies but the school as well may add some of their own regulations that are not our responsibility. For example, a high school in your area may have a policy that if a coach in any way demeans, ridicules or "hurts the feelings" of a student athlete in an athletic contest he/she is subject to a fine or suspension. That "school" policy does not relieve us from upholding the code of conduct of the NFHS and state association because we are not required to know or enforce any such school policies. A coach could be really giving his team a verbal lashing during a time out that may violate the school policy but in our opinion may not have crossed the line of the NFHS or OHSAA. But if it did, we may have to at least address the coach or even penalize the conduct at the time it occurs and the school will do what they have to do in a day or two following the contest. As Adam and others have said, a great deal of discretion applies. And I might add, in most situations it would be good to confer with our partners and be in agreement before taking any action. We don't need any "lone rangers" out there. JRutledge will not want to work with you! (And I don't blame him)
Something like this, yeah. Not letting administrators, ADs, and others avoid their own responsibilities.