The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I think I might have plumbed

Was wondering what the collective's wisdom might be about boxing-out fouls.

Had a pretty good player the other night obviously making her coaches proud with the way she moved her opponent around while another teammate was rebounding a shot (to go the other way). I nailed her for displacing her opponent a healthy ways. We're not talking bumping and struggling, is to be expected, and allowed. But rather, "I've got you on my back, and now I'm going to make sure you're not only sealed off but 8-10 (or more) feet off the ball."

Coach was disbelieving that I dare call something on a "good boxout" like that. He continued to loudly praise his player for her "good boxout" the next several times up and down the floor, obviously targeting me with a message.

It reminded me of a similar totally incredulous coach reaction a couple of years ago on a similar type play where I whistled a foul.

I guess my question is what's your limit for allowing a player to box out and move an opponent? Some movement obviously should be allowed, but, hey, if I start with you in one place and deposit you 8-10 (or whatever) feet away against your will, at some point there has to be grounds for a foul ... right?

I know better than to worry about upset coaches too much, but I got to thinking I might be looking for trouble unnecessarily here. Thoughts?
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

If the person moves than more than 6-12 inches I call it. This cleans up the game and I just tell the coach they are both allowed their spot. One cannot displace the other out of their spot on the floor.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 03:16pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Was wondering what the collective's wisdom might be about boxing-out fouls.

Had a pretty good player the other night obviously making her coaches proud with the way she moved her opponent around while another teammate was rebounding a shot (to go the other way). I nailed her for displacing her opponent a healthy ways. We're not talking bumping and struggling, is to be expected, and allowed. But rather, "I've got you on my back, and now I'm going to make sure you're not only sealed off but 8-10 (or more) feet off the ball."

Coach was disbelieving that I dare call something on a "good boxout" like that. He continued to loudly praise his player for her "good boxout" the next several times up and down the floor, obviously targeting me with a message.

It reminded me of a similar totally incredulous coach reaction a couple of years ago on a similar type play where I whistled a foul.

I guess my question is what's your limit for allowing a player to box out and move an opponent? Some movement obviously should be allowed, but, hey, if I start with you in one place and deposit you 8-10 (or whatever) feet away against your will, at some point there has to be grounds for a foul ... right?

I know better than to worry about upset coaches too much, but I got to thinking I might be looking for trouble unnecessarily here. Thoughts?
If Player A has earned the right to a spot on the court, and Player B displaces Player A from that spot... foul. A good box out does not involve moving a player from their rightful spot on the court.

As for the coach, there was a recent thread about passive aggressive comments like the one you described between the player and coach. Nip it in the bud by telling the coach that such a thing needs to stop. And be sure to back up that warning with a tech if it continues.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

"That wasn't boxing out, it was backing out."
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

You didn't plumb. In fact, you probably waited far too long to call it, if they were able to move them that far. You can't push anyone from their spot, even if you're doing it with your back/butt.

And you definitely should have stopped the passive/aggressive sniping at the 2nd utterance. Saying it once is encouraging their player, perhaps making them not feel bad about their actions that were clearly taught by coach (even if coach is wrong)... Twice is yelling at YOU, through the player. Put a quick stop to it.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Be sute there is displacement and not the behind player giving ground.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
This is a good point. In the instances I whistle, I look for that backward movement instigated by the boxer-outer.

Also a lot of times, of course, a player from the shooting team will try to go wide and therefore "get ridden out" by the boxing defender. Tougher to whistle that one with them both moving laterally, as it were.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 04:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

This is the opposite of plumbing (with apologies to Freddy), this is taking care of rough play before it becomes a bigger issue.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Great call....keep it up.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 04:22pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
This is the opposite of plumbing (with apologies to Freddy), this is taking care of rough play before it becomes a bigger issue.
Sold the company a couple of years ago.
"Don't be a Plumber" doesn't bother me nearly as much anymore.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post

This. Call the foul if displacement is there, but beware of good acting skills or player indifference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I've been calling more and more rebounding displacement fouls this year. I've been trying to stay very exngaged on low post pushing before they jump and keying in on the "clamp" which seems to be getting extremely popular.

I've found that a few quick fouls on the push and the clamp clean the game up very nicely.

One trick on getting the correct call on the clamp move is to watch for the player that has his arm bent. That is the player that is committing the foul. The player with the straight arm is being held.