The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 13, 2016, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for your holier-than-thou rant
Hey, you made your point in the first paragraph; this wasn't necessary and makes YOU look silly because it is an inaccurate description of a truly VALID point.

If you're this thin-skinned, how the hell can you officiate anything?
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt S. View Post
Can I go back to the OP for a second... what state uses NCAA Women's mechanics for HS basketball? That seems awfully goofy... I've worked in 8 different states and I've never seen it (I guess there are 42 others
Georgia does. If you look carefully at the training materials for 3-person released by the GHSA, they use NCAA Women's Mechanics as the base.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 08:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Georgia does. If you look carefully at the training materials for 3-person released by the GHSA, they use NCAA Women's Mechanics as the base.
Most people don't study the manuals for States they don't work in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Zombie Thread Alert. This one has been dead for 1.5 years
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Ilya, if you start new threads, instead of reviving zombies, we would have more confidence that the information conveyed and discussed is current.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Most people don't study the manuals for States they don't work in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Here is the training material that I referred to (it is from 2016, so it is reasonably current), and indeed the PCA that Georgia uses is based on the women's CCA Manual (check pg. 29), as is the simplified time-out procedure, the ability to bounce the ball across the lane on an endline throw-in by the new Trail, and two-hand reporting (note: This was published in 2016, before two-hand reporting was approved for NFHS use).

Personally, I'm curious to learn anything I can, even if it is from other states.
Who knows where work will take me? Right now, I am a graduating undergraduate senior in the DMV, but I could easily end up getting hired elsewhere after I get a Masters degree. Thus, it would be to my advantage to know as much about my future options, officiating included, as possible. If I move to Ohio, Louisiana, or an IAABO state, I can adjust to switching opposite the table (good practice for NCAA Men's games, he he). If I go to Georgia, I know that I can learn NCAA Women's mechanics, and use them for those games. However, most states follow the NFHS book, so I could use knowledge from fresh sources (CA, WA,PA, MI, etc.) to help me enrich my knowledge, wherever I end up.

I thought that I'd come across a more recent thread on CCA Men's mechanics, but hearing what people have to say about women's mechanics in HS ain't too bad, either.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 02:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Don't Need Anybody Else's Mechanics Screwing That Up ...

Quote:
I'm curious to learn anything I can, even if it is from other states.
"Be careful what you wish for, you may receive it." (W. W. Jacobs)

Since joining the Forum thirteen years ago, the most important thing that I've learned is that the "Little Corner of Connecticut" IAABO, the Connecticut IAABO, and the IAABO International, "method" of doing anything (mechanics, rule interpretation, training, evaluating, assigning, dues ,fees, etc.) is not only vastly different than other places, and associations, but is occasionally not the best method. So, I'm often curious to hear about other methods, especially regarding mechanics, but I would never "learn" these differing mechanics.

We've gone through enough mechanics changes in the last thirty-seven years here in my little corner of Connecticut to fill up the basketball mechanics portion of my brain to the point where I can keep all the mechanics changes straight and utilize them instantly, without having to think twice. I don't need anybody else's mechanics screwing that up.

Now, where are my car keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

ilyazhito will tell you where they are. In 1.5 years. Hope it wasn't urgent.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 07:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Here is the training material that I referred to (it is from 2016, so it is reasonably current), and indeed the PCA that Georgia uses is based on the women's CCA Manual (check pg. 29), as is the simplified time-out procedure, the ability to bounce the ball across the lane on an endline throw-in by the new Trail, and two-hand reporting (note: This was published in 2016, before two-hand reporting was approved for NFHS use).

Personally, I'm curious to learn anything I can, even if it is from other states.
Who knows where work will take me? Right now, I am a graduating undergraduate senior in the DMV, but I could easily end up getting hired elsewhere after I get a Masters degree. Thus, it would be to my advantage to know as much about my future options, officiating included, as possible. If I move to Ohio, Louisiana, or an IAABO state, I can adjust to switching opposite the table (good practice for NCAA Men's games, he he). If I go to Georgia, I know that I can learn NCAA Women's mechanics, and use them for those games. However, most states follow the NFHS book, so I could use knowledge from fresh sources (CA, WA,PA, MI, etc.) to help me enrich my knowledge, wherever I end up.

I thought that I'd come across a more recent thread on CCA Men's mechanics, but hearing what people have to say about women's mechanics in HS ain't too bad, either.
Worry about all of that when you have to worry about that. Learn the basics and adjust to anything that might be different. That is what you do when you work at other levels. You have to adjust to the level and their standards. Stop worrying about what you do not have to worry about yet. It is very unlikely you will do half the stuff you ask about anyway.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 04, 2018, 08:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Worry about all of that when you have to worry about that. Learn the basics and adjust to anything that might be different. That is what you do when you work at other levels. You have to adjust to the level and their standards. Stop worrying about what you do not have to worry about yet. It is very unlikely you will do half the stuff you ask about anyway.

Peace

High call percentage - without that none of the rest matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Jul 10, 2018, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for your holier-than-thou rant about those cheapskate officials like me.
Give it a rest. He wasn't doing that and you know it.

If you're this sensitive to comments, how can you possibly function as an official? I've heard some really crappy things said on this forum but suggesting someone pony up a few bucks for a manual when they a) don't have one and b) are asking specifical questions about stuff in the manual IS NOT even close to being one.
Old Wed Jul 11, 2018, 08:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Give it a rest. He wasn't doing that and you know it.
Well it was in 2016.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 11, 2018, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"Be careful what you wish for, you may receive it." (W. W. Jacobs)

Since joining the Forum thirteen years ago, the most important thing that I've learned is that the "Little Corner of Connecticut" IAABO, the Connecticut IAABO, and the IAABO International, "method" of doing anything (mechanics, rule interpretation, training, evaluating, assigning, dues ,fees, etc.) is not only vastly different than other places, and associations, but is occasionally not the best method. So, I'm often curious to hear about other methods, especially regarding mechanics, but I would never "learn" these differing mechanics.

We've gone through enough mechanics changes in the last thirty-seven years here in my little corner of Connecticut to fill up the basketball mechanics portion of my brain to the point where I can keep all the mechanics changes straight and utilize them instantly, without having to think twice. I don't need anybody else's mechanics screwing that up.

Alas, this is a question I cannot answer. Check your refrigerator, because there have been times where I lost my keys in some soft fruit (once, in a package of tomaroes, and another time in an open container of grapes).

Unfortunately, no newer thread exists about women'should college mechanics, so I must accidentally reveal my powers of necromancy
Old Wed Jul 11, 2018, 12:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Unfortunately, no newer thread exists about women'should college mechanics, so I must accidentally reveal my powers of necromancy
The best literature on NCAA-W's mechanics can be found in the NCAA-Women's CCA Manual. The best feedback you'll get is in an NCAA-Women's camp.

BTW, have you attending any of your scheduled camps yet?
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

I was at the MBOA camp, and will be going to the next one (Que'z Crawford's camp) in the beginning of August. I don't know if there will be any other camps in the DMV, or reasonably close to there (PA, NC, NJ, etc.) after that.