The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   CCA Women's Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101811-cca-womens-mechanics.html)

bballref3966 Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:23am

CCA Women's Mechanics

Seeking JetMet or Bob (or any of our other NCAAW gurus)

I've joined a high school association in a state that uses women's NCAA mechanics. I don't really want to buy the CCA manual so figured I would come here to see if I have everything down...

-Switches are essentially identical to NFHS mechanics (calling official goes tableside unless C/T calls foul opposite going the other way with no free throws)
-2-hand reporting, walk and talk
-No "chop" with the other arm when counting ("chop" with the same arm you count with)
-No open hand for an out of bounds violation
-L has the corner as part of PCA
-Whistle before frontcourt throw-ins*
-Bounce ball across lane for backcourt throw-in going long
-C always has last second shot
-Punch on PC and TC fouls

Questions:

1) Does the L or T administer the FC sideline throw-in below the FTLE? Who counts?
*2) Do you whistle before every FC throw-in or only endline throw-ins?
3) On a FC endline throw-in is L always supposed to be outside the thrower?
4) Am I wrong on anything above or missing anything big?

bob jenkins Tue Nov 08, 2016 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 992778)

I've joined a high school association in a state that uses women's NCAA mechanics. I don't really want to buy the CCA manual so figured I would come here to see if I have everything down...

-Switches are essentially identical to NFHS mechanics (calling official goes tableside unless C/T calls foul opposite going the other way with no free throws)
-No "chop" with the other arm when counting ("chop" with the same arm you count with)

Questions:

1) Does the L or T administer the FC sideline throw-in below the FTLE? Who counts?

1) L. L counts and chops. T also chops.
2) Every throw in that the L administers. The purpose is to tell T to raise his / her hand to be ready to chop.
3) Inside the thrower if the throw0in is near the 3-point line or beyond

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Nov 08, 2016 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 992778)

Questions:

Spend the money and buy the Manual. The cost of the Manual is a tax deduction on your Schedule C.

MTD, Sr.

NCAAREF Wed Nov 09, 2016 05:11pm

Spend the Money

How much are you getting paid per game? And you don't want to spend a few dollars to have a manual that tells you exactly what you need to be doing? Always amazes me that guys don't want to part with a few dollars to improve themselves and then wonder why they aren't advancing.

bballref3966 Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCAAREF (Post 992843)
How much are you getting paid per game? And you don't want to spend a few dollars to have a manual that tells you exactly what you need to be doing? Always amazes me that guys don't want to part with a few dollars to improve themselves and then wonder why they aren't advancing.

I'm a college student who doesn't have an extra $15-$20 to throw around at the moment. Once the season gets rolling I probably will. I'm sorry that so greatly offends you. Since I know most of the CCA women's mechanics, I don't think it's necessary at the moment especially since this won't be my primary league.

Thank you for your holier-than-thou rant about those cheapskate officials like me. However, I'll point out that I was hired in a junior college conference this past summer.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 992787)
Spend the money and buy the Manual. The cost of the Manual is a tax deduction on your Schedule C.

MTD, Sr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCAAREF (Post 992843)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 992852)
I'm a college student who doesn't have an extra $15-$20 to throw around at the moment. Once the season gets rolling I probably will. I'm sorry that so greatly offends you. Since I know most of the CCA women's mechanics, I don't think it's necessary at the moment especially since this won't be my primary league.

Thank you for your holier-than-thou rant about those cheapskate officials like me. However, I'll point out that I was hired in a junior college conference this past summer.

BBallRef:

Please direct your irritation toward me.

As someone who started his basketball officiating career while in college I understand your financial concerns. Starting with my fourth year as official I was officiating H.S. basketball in two different states and was officiating women's college basketball. That meant I had a to have different jerseys for the two different states in which I officiated H.S. basketball, fortunately I could wear the same pants and warm-up jacket. None of what I wore for my H.S. games could be worn for my college assignments: white shoes, navy blue pants, blue/white striped shirt, navy blue warm-up jacket, and navy blue lanyard.

Yes, I am very old. But, as a college student you have to make adult decisions: Which is more important: Do you forgo a six-pack of beer this weekend so that you can buy the CCA Manual so that you can do your job correctly? Or do I say, screw it I will just fake it on the court.

And, yes, I do know how expensive it is to go to college. I have two sons in college. Mark, Jr., who officiates H.S. basketball, baseball, and softball, and college softball, is an engineering student and for those non-engineering majors you do not want to know how much spends on text books each semester.

A copy of the CCA Manual will cost no more than $15, including S&H. So forgo a six-pack and a pizza this weekend and order the book.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Thu Nov 10, 2016 01:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 992854)
BBallRef:

Please direct your irritation toward me.

As someone who started his basketball officiating career while in college I understand your financial concerns. Starting with my fourth year as official I was officiating H.S. basketball in two different states and was officiating women's college basketball. That meant I had a to have different jerseys for the two different states in which I officiated H.S. basketball, fortunately I could wear the same pants and warm-up jacket. None of what I wore for my H.S. games could be worn for my college assignments: white shoes, navy blue pants, blue/white striped shirt, navy blue warm-up jacket, and navy blue lanyard.

Yes, I am very old. But, as a college student you have to make adult decisions: Which is more important: Do you forgo a six-pack of beer this weekend so that you can buy the CCA Manual so that you can do your job correctly? Or do I say, screw it I will just fake it on the court.

And, yes, I do know how expensive it is to go to college. I have two sons in college. Mark, Jr., who officiates H.S. basketball, baseball, and softball, and college softball, is an engineering student and for those non-engineering majors you do not want to know how much spends on text books each semester.

A copy of the CCA Manual will cost no more than $15, including S&H. So forgo a six-pack and a pizza this weekend and order the book.

MTD, Sr.

What he said. Are you a serious official or not?

IncorrectCall Thu Nov 10, 2016 01:57pm

Quote:

Don't let the holier than thou of this forum bully you.

Welpe Thu Nov 10, 2016 02:44pm

Let me ask a different question:

Does this association have any material to provide to you on their expected mechanics? Whether that be a mechanics manual, power point presentations or even handouts?

If you haven't already, you should start by asking the appropriate people in your association for this material.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Nov 10, 2016 02:47pm

Quote:

BBallRef:

You are most certainly going to get called out by veteran college officials like me. Since you were asking about the Women's CCA Manual for your boys'/girls' H.S. assignments, I can make an educated assumption that you were picked up on the men's side of that jr. college conference, meaning that you should already have bought and have perused, in depth, the Men's CCA Manual. Therefore, if you are going to officiate college level games, then start acting like a professional and buy the Women's CCA Manual. You are acting like a cheapskate official, therefore, you are a cheapskate official and you are not acting like a professional.

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Nov 10, 2016 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 992876)
Let me ask a different question:

Does this association have any material to provide to you on their expected mechanics? Whether that be a mechanics manual, power point presentations or even handouts?

If you haven't already, you should start by asking the appropriate people in your association for this material.

BBallRef:

Welpe's advice should also be taken.

MTD, Sr.

Rich Thu Nov 10, 2016 06:36pm

Quote:

IHowever, I'll point out that I was hired in a junior college conference this past summer.

Big deal. Really. Some of us fit in JuCo around our HS schedules.

Matt S. Fri Nov 11, 2016 02:15pm

What state uses NCAA-W mechanics

Can I go back to the OP for a second... what state uses NCAA Women's mechanics for HS basketball? That seems awfully goofy... I've worked in 8 different states and I've never seen it (I guess there are 42 others :)

Welpe Fri Nov 11, 2016 03:42pm

New York State maybe? They play their girls games under NCAA-W I believe.

APG Fri Nov 11, 2016 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt S. (Post 992908)
Can I go back to the OP for a second... what state uses NCAA Women's mechanics for HS basketball? That seems awfully goofy... I've worked in 8 different states and I've never seen it (I guess there are 42 others :)

Why does this seem goofy? I'd actually say NCAA-W mechanics are superior to NFHS mechanics.