The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 05, 2016, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

2 hand reporting- NFHS??

At our association meeting this afternoon, the leaders said that 2 handed reporting is now optional per NFHS mechanics. They also said hand on back of the head for charge is no longer necessary on a charge, just the punch like a TC foul. My impression from this board is that two handed reporting is not an option per NFHS. Can anyone provide confirmation or clarification? I asked them for confirmation that this is not our state, and both guys said it was the federation, not our state.

Last edited by UNIgiantslayers; Sat Nov 05, 2016 at 05:54pm.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2016, 06:02pm
This IS My Social Life

Not that I claim to know everything, much less the mind of NHFS, which has pulled some unannounced surprises frequently in the past, there has been no hint of anything of the sort in either the new rulebook in which rule 2-9-1 maintains one-handed reporting as a rule, the 2015-17 Officials Manual which on pp. 51 and 86 mandate the same, nor in the Preseason Guide, nor in the Interoretations. Same for your claim of no more hand behind head (signal #36) for Player Control foul.
Some states have gone to 2-handed reporting, I know. But unless I've missed something released by NFHS, you've been told wrong.
Watch them prove me wrong.
Ask them what documentation they have for their claim and get back with us on it, okay?
What state you in?

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Nov 05, 2016 at 06:17pm.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2016, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard that 2 handed reporting will be adopted in near future but nothing yet. They are trying to make the two codes (NFHS & NCCAA) more similar.
Old Sat Nov 05, 2016, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Your guys are wrong and must be suffering from a bad case of reading miscomprehension. This isn't even a new publishing year for Officials Manuals.

That being said, if they're allowing you to use two hands, I'd take it and run with it.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2016, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
I have heard that 2 handed reporting will be adopted in near future but nothing yet. They are trying to make the two codes (NFHS & NCCAA) more similar.
Oh golly gee I hope so. Well they're busy matching up mechanics, it would be nice if we could have a few more foul reporting signals, too.

This is the second time this year that I've heard this "chatter" about NFHS adopting 2-hand reporting. It may be that there is some validity to it (not sure; I have no good sources), but if it were going to happen for this year it would have been announced already. The update to the mechanics manual next summer would be the most likely place for a "big reveal."
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I finally got an answer in the form of a memo from the state. This is a state mechanic, not NFHS. We also got some additional approved signals including hit to the head, two hands on the ball handler, arm bar, and scoring a two point bucket after a foul (2 fingers up on the score it signal, held in place at shoulder height). I guess I'm good with those, they can't hurt. Now we just need the heave-ho signal for disqualifications.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Now we just need the heave-ho signal for disqualifications.
Don't forget the "Frankenstein" for verticality calls.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I finally got an answer in the form of a memo from the state. This is a state mechanic, not NFHS. We also got some additional approved signals including hit to the head, two hands on the ball handler, arm bar, and scoring a two point bucket after a foul (2 fingers up on the score it signal, held in place at shoulder height). I guess I'm good with those, they can't hurt. Now we just need the heave-ho signal for disqualifications.

You're in Iowa, correct?
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 09:01am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Don't forget the "Frankenstein" for verticality calls.
Saw that one in the Kansas-Duke game last night.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

You know, we all make fun of it, but it does communicate to a coach that you acknowledge the defender had the right idea, but didn't achieve or sustain verticality when contact occurred.

If I'm a coach, that tells me that the official saw the whole play and made an informed judgment. Other signals that we have at our disposal (IUOH, block, push) just don't paint as good a picture of what the official was judging on a verticality call.

So…I admit it looks hokey, but I do like what the Frankenstein communicates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
You're in Iowa, correct?
That's correct.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
NCAA-M approved signal
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's correct.
Where you still use a coin flip instead of a jump ball to begin girls games, right?
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Frankenstein

I've used the Frankenstein in all my games this year....to all of you contemplating, may I offer a suggestion. Do not give the Frankenstein until the ball has been blocked or the shot has been possessed via rebound. You may give it while the verticality by the defender is occurring and your partner, most likely the C has a foul, then the crew is up the creek without a paddle. Just wait til that play ends before you do the Frankenstein...
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 11:18pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
NCAA-M approved signal

Buzzkill

I admit, I like what the signal communicates as long as it's used appropriately. I had no doubt what the official called there.