The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question:

When reporting number of offender, do you use front of one hand to designate first digit, followed by back of same hand for second digit?

Trevor Schriver
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

That would be the proper mechanics for HS ball. The use of both hands, in which the right hand is the tens and left hand is the ones, is used at the college level. Using one hand, the front for the tens and back for ones, ensures the scorer understands your comunication. (especially when the scorer is a student volunteer) Keep it simple.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

KEEP IT SIMPLE AND CLEAR

I also verbalize as I am demonstrating the call. For example,
"Blue (pointing in direction of Blue Bench),
two (two fingers, palm facing scorer)
five (five fingers, palm facing me)
Pushing (Push signal)

Seems to work fine....

Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

That's not the proper mechanic, guys. You should never flip your hand when indicating the number. If you ever go to a camp, they will tell you in a NY minute that you should not flip your hand. Signal the first number, close the hand, and open it to signal the second number.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
That's not the proper mechanic, guys. You should never flip your hand when indicating the number. If you ever go to a camp, they will tell you in a NY minute that you should not flip your hand. Signal the first number, close the hand, and open it to signal the second number.
I agree with Tony -- don't flip the hand.

Also, someone mentioned that the use of two hands is proper in college -- this is also not true. The mechanic for reporting the number is the same as in HS (although the location on the floor may be different).
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I stand corrected.

Most of the officials in my local use the method of flipping the hand. I see some who do a lot of higer level ball (JUCO NAIA etc) using the 2-handed reporting, which I knew was not the proper mechanic for HS.

Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

I see a lot of officials use the hand flip - do they give a reason in camp why this is not acceptable?
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I see a lot of officials use the hand flip - do they give a reason in camp why this is not acceptable?
Officials who flip their hand tend to develop the bad habit of doing it quickly. Closing the hand after signaling the first number actually slows the official down. They seem to want a discernible fist between numbers. There may be other reasons that I'm not aware of.

I've started verbalizing the number this year as opposed to the digits. In other words, 42 is "forty-two," not "four, two." Studies have supposedly shown that it's easier for the scorer to understand. Go figure!
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 11:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I've started verbalizing the number this year as opposed to the digits. In other words, 42 is "forty-two," not "four, two." Studies have supposedly shown that it's easier for the scorer to understand. Go figure!

Here's the reason to call the color first, then the number as forty-two, not four two. The scorer has two sides to his book, each side representing a color. We give the color first, because the first thing a scorer wants to know is which side of the book he will be marking. Then, if you give just the first digit of a two digit number, followed by the second digit separately, he may mark the foul down for a player who has only that first digit in haste. If the number is forty-two and you say four two, he may give the foul to number four and not pay attention to the second digit. If you say forty-two, as soon as you say forty, he is more likely not to give the foul to anyone other than forty-two, even though a team may have a number forty, because you say the forty-two without a pause, while you pause between numbers in saying four two. This is especially true with numbers from 10 through 15 (except maybe 14, since it starts with the four sound).

At least that's what I was told at a camp.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 10:40am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Forty-Two

I'm with BktBallRef and Padgett,
One hand, Palm toward table, shoulder height, near front of body.
Forty-Two, not single digits.

mick
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

When reporting fouls to the table, i agree there should be no hand flipping. Number, closed fist then the next number. I also agree the the number 42 should be reported verbally as 42, not 4...2. As far as pointing to the team bench before reporting the foul, i say a big NO!!! That is not part of the mechanics of foul reporting! As far as visualing giving the number, i always try to signal outside the plain of my body. I am right handed, so when i report my right arm is bent at the elbow in a 90 degree angle. The people at the table have a much easier time seeing this signal as opposed to my hand in front of my torso. The black and white stripes sometimes make it difficult to see my hand signal.
Any thoughts on this????
May everyone have a joyous and meaningful holiday!!
Mikeref
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

mikered,

Years ago, the mechanic was to point to the offending bench when reporting a foul. Some older officials still do it.

Tony
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 05:18pm
In Memoriam

both hands

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeref
When reporting fouls to the table, i agree there should be no hand flipping. Number, closed fist then the next number. I also agree the the number 42 should be reported verbally as 42, not 4...2. As far as pointing to the team bench before reporting the foul, i say a big NO!!! That is not part of the mechanics of foul reporting! As far as visualing giving the number, i always try to signal outside the plain of my body. I am right handed, so when i report my right arm is bent at the elbow in a 90 degree angle. The people at the table have a much easier time seeing this signal as opposed to my hand in front of my torso. The black and white stripes sometimes make it difficult to see my hand signal.
Any thoughts on this????
May everyone have a joyous and meaningful holiday!!
Mikeref
mikeref,
If you can, try to use both hands the way you described.
One for the bench on the right, which is what you are doing, and one for the bench on the left, with your left hand.
By the way. I agree with your hand placement to the side, what I should have said instead of "near front of body", was outside the shoulder and slightly forward of the torso and then followed it with everything you said except the part about being one-handed.

Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

If I am in a very loud gym, I will point to the bench. This is just a way to prevent any miss communication with the book. It might not be in the book, but when the situation is right, it helps.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:20am
In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
If I am in a very loud gym, I will point to the bench. This is just a way to prevent any miss communication with the book. It might not be in the book, but when the situation is right, it helps.
Right, Brian.
We do what we have to do at the time.
mick